2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Pairing Android Phone

07-31-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
plusman
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 3-Series (G20)

Pairing Android Phone

I have an early-2011 F10 520d with Professional Sat Nav installed. I have just changed my phone from a Nokia N97 to an Android phone (Huawei Honor U8860). I have managed to pair the Huawei via bluetooth but only have limited functionality - make/receive calls, see phonebook - but cannot for example read SMS or email which I could on my Nokia.

Can anybody suggest how I can read SMS via my new phone using iDrive?

On the phone I have gone into Bluetooth - Advanced Settings to see if there is an SMS option, but I can only see items for OPP (Object Push), PBAP (Phonebook Access) and Test Mode - all of which are on; but no other options.

Many thanks for help
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
let me know if you figure it out.

i thought they only developed for apple products these days so i'm surprised your nokia even worked. it would be really cool if i was wrong though because i hate apple products.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Blkthght
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 CP Singapore Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusman View Post
I have an early-2011 F10 520d with Professional Sat Nav installed. I have just changed my phone from a Nokia N97 to an Android phone (Huawei Honor U8860). I have managed to pair the Huawei via bluetooth but only have limited functionality - make/receive calls, see phonebook - but cannot for example read SMS or email which I could on my Nokia.

Can anybody suggest how I can read SMS via my new phone using iDrive?

On the phone I have gone into Bluetooth - Advanced Settings to see if there is an SMS option, but I can only see items for OPP (Object Push), PBAP (Phonebook Access) and Test Mode - all of which are on; but no other options.

Many thanks for help
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
let me know if you figure it out.

i thought they only developed for apple products these days so i'm surprised your nokia even worked. it would be really cool if i was wrong though because i hate apple products.
I have a galaxy s2 and a 550i. I was having multiple problems with bluetooth until I took the following steps:

1) Assuming your car supports it (mine does), update the tx/mx software in the vehicle to 3.5.4. You can download the software update at www.bmw.com/update

2) Whenever you start bluetooth on your phone, immediately after go to the settings menu, applications, running services, and then STOP the PBAP service. After I stopped this service, my phone and car were in complete sync. All of my address book contacts and all of my sms messages were displayed. However, my phone doesn't support the display of email messages, so that was not displayed. I believe only BB and nokia currently supports the email feature.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
interesting... going to try this tonight. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Mobileum
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkthght View Post
I believe only BB and nokia currently supports the email feature.
Only BB supports email until IOS 6 for iPhone is released. Some Nokias and SE phones supports all Office functions except email.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Email and text messages work on my car with the HTC Sensation. I did have problems at first with the contacts syncing but that was sorted when I cleaned up my gmail contacts list (there were multiple entries and duplicates) and re-synced the phone again after resetting the rom.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Mobileum
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

@Dandle

You are right. HTC Sensation (BMW info)

Limited functionality:
To transfer e-mails to the control display, the following settings must be made on the mobile phone:
- All e-mail accounts must be set up as mail accounts. An account set up as "Google" is not sufficient. If necessary, set up account via "Settings -> Accounts & sync -> Add account -> Mail".
- "EMAIL" must be activated under "Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Bluetooth settings -> Advanced Settings -> Message access settings".

Every time an update is carried out, only the last incoming message is transferred to the control display. Further messages are not transferred until the next time the vehicle is started. It is recommended that the update frequency be set to 5 minutes; this can be set on the mobile phone under "Settings -> Accounts and synchronisation -> select mail account -> update schedule".

Last edited by Mobileum; 07-31-2012 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobileum View Post
@Dandle

Limited functionality:
To transfer e-mails to the control display, the following settings must be made on the mobile phone:
- All e-mail accounts must be set up as mail accounts. An account set up as "Google" is not sufficient. If necessary, set up account via "Settings -> Accounts & sync -> Add account -> Mail".
- "EMAIL" must be activated under "Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Bluetooth settings -> Advanced Settings -> Message access settings".

Every time an update is carried out, only the last incoming message is transferred to the control display. Further messages are not transferred until the next time the vehicle is started. It is recommended that the update frequency be set to 5 minutes; this can be set on the mobile phone under "Settings -> Accounts and synchronisation -> select mail account -> update schedule".
That end bit isn't right. I tried mine before posting my last reply to be sure and it transferred all the emails including 5 unread ones, which I opened in the car. My update schedule is set to 2 hours to save battery life too, all that does is control the frequency the phone looks for new emails nothing to do with syncing in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:11 AM   #9
plusman
Netherlands
Rep

Unfortunately neither "messages" nor "email" appear as options in the settings of my phone (Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Bluetooth settings -> Advanced Settings ). The phone is running Android v4.0.3
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #10
plusman
Netherlands
Rep

Thanks for the responses.

I have updated the software to the latest version on the BMW website and also tried stopping the PBAP service - it made no difference.

I think the problem is that the version of Android released for my phone by Huawei has lost the "Messages" and "EMail" options under the advanced bluetooth settings.

A friend of mine also has this phone, and he was able to read messages via an external motorola bluetooth device (he doesn't have a BMW) with the previous version of the phone's firmware (v 2.3 I think), but I learned this morning that since he upgraded to the latest ICS version of the software (v4.0.3 - same as I have on my phone) he no longer can read messages. Hence i think they have "lost" this option on the firmware upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #11
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep

4.0.3 is the version of android software and that still has the capablities because mine is on that version. The problem is probably your rom which is the software that the phone manufacturer makes to run your phone on the android operating system. Have a look for different roms for your phone and you can chage the interface which may give you the right options.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 05:17 AM   #12
JCs F10
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 3.0 528i Msport

This worked perfectly with my SG2. All contacts on both phone and sim are available.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #13
Bimmernerd
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 530dM xDrive F11 2012

I have a Galaxy S3 and have not been able to connect with BT in my 530d F11, built in Nov 2011.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
BigP535I
Second Lieutenant
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: F10 AW Mtech

I had an s2 and I could read my text on the nav screen and the mp3 data also showed up on the screen. Now I've upgrade to HTC 4g and I dont have either options but no problem with syncing it up, just no more text reading and no more on screen data of the music I'm playing off the phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #15
chrisdoha
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 530d M Sport

I have a HTC Sensation, and I just picked my car 2 days back. At first, when I paired, I was getting my contacts list but no SMS or emails. Later on, the next day I was gettin SMS and emails but no contact list. Since yest, I get SMS and emails but no contact list.

I've unpaired and paired multiple times, but no lock to get both. Only once I was able to get both contacts and messages. I've updated to the latest bmw software as well... any1 got any fix??
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdoha View Post
I have a HTC Sensation, and I just picked my car 2 days back. At first, when I paired, I was getting my contacts list but no SMS or emails. Later on, the next day I was gettin SMS and emails but no contact list. Since yest, I get SMS and emails but no contact list.

I've unpaired and paired multiple times, but no lock to get both. Only once I was able to get both contacts and messages. I've updated to the latest bmw software as well... any1 got any fix??
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...light=contacts
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #17
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
Email and text messages work on my car with the HTC Sensation. I did have problems at first with the contacts syncing but that was sorted when I cleaned up my gmail contacts list (there were multiple entries and duplicates) and re-synced the phone again after resetting the rom.
My HTC Sensation does not synchronise emails with the car. How did you manage to do so with yours?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #18
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobileum View Post
@Dandle

Limited functionality:

OK. I just saw this. I shall try and see if it will work!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #19
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyxologos View Post
My HTC Sensation does not synchronise emails with the car. How did you manage to do so with yours?
Go into the bluetooth the bluetooth options on your phone then select the advanced options and below ftp server is the tick box for messages. Tick that, you may need to repair your phone. The car also has an option somewhere to transfer messages you have to select.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #20
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyxologos View Post
OK. I just saw this. I shall try and see if it will work!
That is just for syncing the account with the account server nothing to do with syncing via bluetooth. If you increase the update schedule your phone will just check for emails alot more and use up battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #21
JCs F10
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 3.0 528i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigP535I View Post
I had an s2 and I could read my text on the nav screen and the mp3 data also showed up on the screen. Now I've upgrade to HTC 4g and I dont have either options but no problem with syncing it up, just no more text reading and no more on screen data of the music I'm playing off the phone.
Big P,
Do you have BMW apps and the 6nr option enabled? I'm curious if you actually need anything more than pro nav for txt and music album covers to stream from your sg2.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #22
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
That is just for syncing the account with the account server nothing to do with syncing via bluetooth. If you increase the update schedule your phone will just check for emails alot more and use up battery.
I was referring to this:
Quote:
Limited functionality:
Up to now I had separate apps for Gmail, Yahoo and my Pop email. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0