2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Owners I need your help!

01-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
Jimefam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550I Msport

F10 Owners I need your help!

Ok well my car is being loaded on the Undine today and I should have it in a month or so. But being the impatient man I am I want to get started on the Tuning asap and one of the first things I want to do is swap out the OEM driveshaft if possible. I have done this before with another can and I loved this mod as the engine felt much more free revving and it's cheap. So I contacted my custom fabricator but he needs to know what type of joints the F10 driveshaft uses and the approximate length of the shaft to order the joints and get the Aluminum Rolling!! So what I need is if someone has a picture of the underside of an F10 and perhaps you can catch a glimpse of said shaft attach it to the thread and that way I'll be able to hit the ground running when she arrives. For reference I have attached a picture of my old OEM driveshaft and their one piece aluminum shaft(it is stronger, weighs 1/3 what the oem one does and looks so much prettier!) so that you'll know more or less what to look for. Thanks in advance for any help.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Aluminum is old school................I'd go with Carbon Fiber if I were you.

On a serious note...you may want to wait until you get your car to engineer this mod. The underside of the car is pretty much all covered up if I remember correctly from changing the oil, and you may not have enough space for a straight shaft.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Jimefam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oh for sure we wont begin any work until I get the exact measurements but if I could get a pic of the joints I would know if this can even be done and if so I can order them now and be about two weeks(delivery time) ahead of schedule and honestly I just wanna get started on something! Plus I'll attack a pic I have of my brother in law's "carbon composite" driveshaft later. Lets just say that technology is still evolving!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
stevelup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 with lots of toys

Does this help?

According to the part description, the manual transmission drive shaft is 1661mm long and the automatic transmission 1618mm.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Jimefam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Stevelup that is brilliant! that is exactly what I needed and unfortunately it looks like its gonna be hard to make because those doughnut couplings are the hardest to make on a driveshaft. Thanks for this it will help me figure out if it can be done or not.
Appreciate 0