2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media Ledermanz OEM wrapped steering wheel

03-02-2015, 05:27 PM   #23
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

That's an awesome looking wheel with good turn around time!

-Don
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #24
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Just scored mine! M-Tech steering wheel up for sale soon!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:42 AM   #25
dpouncey
DINAN free flow/BMS stage 2/ STIR PLUS- AL Priorit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550I m sport

I have one from him as well, satisfied customer!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 07:03 AM   #26
Roswell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

The flat bottom looks awesome, I'm getting one done in CF by my friend shop as we speak.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 10:15 PM   #27
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Got mine installed today, fell in love with the car all over again best mod ever and thank you OP I had no idea about this steering wheel before. Here are some installed pics:
Attached Images

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #28
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Looks Sweet Exception! Where did u end up buying the steering wheel and was it really straight swap buttons over to the new one?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:41 AM   #29
M BROK3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Looks Sweet Exception! Where did u end up buying the steering wheel and was it really straight swap buttons over to the new one?
Bought it from Ledermanz on eBay same place OP got his, and yes it was straight swap. steering came with buttons as well but they weren't the ones I needed so I swapped mine over just 2 simple bolts.

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2015, 09:05 AM   #30
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ception View Post
Bought it from Ledermanz on eBay same place OP got his, and yes it was straight swap. steering came with buttons as well but they weren't the ones I needed so I swapped mine over just 2 simple bolts.
Sweet! Another mod on the to-do list!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #31
jaydiem8
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmfrogg View Post
Got the vanos bolts done last week so I spent Friday night installing the wheel.

As requested by a few, here are some updated pics of it installed.

Attachment 1165893 Attachment 1165896

If anyone wants, I can try to write up a diy, couple of steps to yank the battery negative and then finesse the airbag off and torque specs for the center bolt... in my case it definitely was not as quick as the youtube video posted above
Would I get a error code/msg on the dash if I go from factory paddle-shifter sport steering wheel to m-sport steering wheel without paddle-shifters? I rarely use the paddle shifters so I don't mind losing them, since I still can shift with the auto-tranny shift knob.

Also did any warning msg pop up after you disconnected and reconnected the battery on the F10? Did it reset anything? Your new steering wheel looks good, is it thicker as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #32
jaydiem8
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Got mine installed today, fell in love with the car all over again best mod ever and thank you OP I had no idea about this steering wheel before. Here are some installed pics:
Looks great ! How hard was the install, is it a must to disconnect the battery prior to swapping? Can we just turn off the car instead? I'm afraid it will reset or mess something up my car in the process of disconnecting the battery.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #33
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

Quote:
Wow, this looks awesome! Now I have to get one...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #34
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydiem8 View Post
Looks great ! How hard was the install, is it a must to disconnect the battery prior to swapping? Can we just turn off the car instead? I'm afraid it will reset or mess something up my car in the process of disconnecting the battery.
Install Looks pretty easy...not sure if the battery needs to be disconnected tho?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #35
M BROK3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydiem8
Quote:
Guys, I would HIGHLY recommended disconnecting the battery to avoid any risk of the airbag blowing up in your face and causing injury.
No errors come up no coding is lost and all I had to do was set the time and date again. Make sure when you disconnect the battery the wheels are straight and so is your steering wheel.

If you do encounter any errors turn steering wheel all the way left and then all the way right few times to reset steering wheel angle sensor.

Install is not that hard, hardest part was getting the airbag out, took about 5 minutes of wiggling around. Tip: put pressure on top of airbag and try to get both clips out at same time, lift straight out.

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2015, 09:54 PM   #36
jdmfrogg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

Hi fellas.

x-ception - nice pics! totally agree, since you use and touch the wheel everyday its a cool mod that makes the car feel new again.

jdm8 - not sure about errors going from paddle to no-paddle, but given the gerrrman attention to detail, I wouldn't be surprised if a code was thrown, you should check with service. As x-ception mentioned, don't think about mucking around with the airbag while the car has 12+, dangerous for your face and I'm pretty sure that will throw a code and create more work in the long run. You will not have any issues or errors by disconnecting the battery ground.

Its simple - go to your trunk, lift the floor flap and remove the 2 plastic 10mm nuts found on the left/right side of the floor board

Pull out the fiberboard floor, use the 10mm to loosen/disconnect the negative terminal

you should also wait 10-15 mins to be certain the ECU has no power before starting. The hardest part is getting the airbag to release from the hub. I found it easiest to use a flat head screw driver that was just narrow enough to fit into the hole but long enough to push up on the metal tension rod as well as slide left to right along the rod to ensure both sides of the release mechanism disengaged the airbag clips. Hope the pic below makes sense

Another thing I wanted to share is that my airbag connector took a lot of pressure to separate, so I did not yank on it from the actual wire from the fear that it might pull out of the socket, so grip it from the actual connector or use some needle nose pliers.

swap your electronics over, torque the bolt to 46 ft lb, and then carefully insert the airbag until the clips hook over the release mechanism again.

Last edited by jdmfrogg; 03-11-2015 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2015, 10:01 PM   #37
Roswell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Nice write-up, I will be installing my new CF wheel this spring so this will come handy.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #38
Atlantis M3tallic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I love the stitching, wish they had this available for the M-Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 11:50 AM   #39
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Whoa Whoa!!! Is that trash in your cupholder?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #40
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Looks great, and that looks like a super thick grip.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 07:37 PM   #41
M BROK3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmfrogg
Hi fellas.

x-ception - nice pics! totally agree, since you use and touch the wheel everyday its a cool mod that makes the car feel new again.

jdm8 - not sure about errors going from paddle to no-paddle, but given the gerrrman attention to detail, I wouldn't be surprised if a code was thrown, you should check with service. As x-ception mentioned, don't think about mucking around with the airbag while the car has 12+, dangerous for your face and I'm pretty sure that will throw a code and create more work in the long run. You will not have any issues or errors by disconnecting the battery ground.

Its simple - go to your trunk, lift the floor flap and remove the 2 plastic 10mm nuts found on the left/right side of the floor board

Pull out the fiberboard floor, use the 10mm to loosen/disconnect the negative terminal

you should also wait 10-15 mins to be certain the ECU has no power before starting. The hardest part is getting the airbag to release from the hub. I found it easiest to use a flat head screw driver that was just narrow enough to fit into the hole but long enough to push up on the metal tension rod as well as slide left to right along the rod to ensure both sides of the release mechanism disengaged the airbag clips. Hope the pic below makes sense

Another thing I wanted to share is that my airbag connector took a lot of pressure to separate, so I did not yank on it from the actual wire from the fear that it might pull out of the socket, so grip it from the actual connector or use some needle nose pliers.

swap your electronics over, torque the bolt to 46 ft lb, and then carefully insert the airbag until the clips hook over the release mechanism again.
I struggled with that socket too and then I moved that white tape down a little and saw there was a hole I can put a pin in and the socket slid out. Almost broke the socket first time using pliers lol

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #42
YD
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530d Msport

looks great!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 06:45 PM   #43
BigHurmJr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M-Sport

Wow guys thanks for sharing all of this. Well my mod list just got one item longer now....
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #44
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
That simply looks incredible, "before" photos, that's regular, non-sport wheel right?

Might be a silly question, forgive my ignorance on this.

Was your wheel heated before ? I'm considering getting one of these from Ledermanz as well, but would like to understand this before I commit to purchase.

My steering wheel is heated, and while I don't care if I lose that feature, I'm concerned that I might get bunch of error codes after I instal the wheel that doesn't have a heating module in the wheel ? I understand that heating button will be useless, but am worried about potential codes being thrown and trip to the dealer.
Appreciate 0