2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum A lot of BMW questions to be answered...

10-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
WhatevR
Rep
Drives: Renault Mégane

A lot of BMW questions to be answered...

Dear all,

I'm looking into buying a new F10 5-series.
I already know I will go for diesel... but I can use some help with the engine.

The 520d is appealing if you look at the numbers, however I'm affraid it will be lacking power. I used to drive a 320d (E90) and was quite happy with it... but always looking for more power...

What is your experience with 520d, 525d, 530d, 535d?

What about the sport auto-transmission (8speed), do you recommend it? If not, this rules out the 535d.

I really enjoy a sporty driving style, I wonder if the automatic transmission is responsive enough...

What options do you recommend? As a must have? + some explanation?

I always loved to drive my BMW, except when there was the combination lot's of rain and bad roads... I remember on a lot of those occasions, I lost traction, DTC kicked in ... and so on... fishtailing is not far away right...

So I wonder when the X versions of the diesels will be available and would you recommend them or will that cause that this typical BMW feeling (steer precision) to vanish...

Big thanks to you all,

Tim
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
joy5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: xDrive30d M Sport

I am happy with my 520d with Sports Auto 8 speed box. You may feel it's underperforming if you do under 1500 rpm, with a cold engine or at city running under 40 mph. But with DDC at Sports/Sports+ I am not worried.

If you are looking for power and can stretch your pocket 530d could be the pick.

You wouldn't be disappointed with the Sports Auto box and it's a piece of cake !
      10-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

I have 520d with normal auto, fits the car perfectly, a sportbox in this car is like whipping a dead horse.

The efficiency is truly incredible, it uses the same as a Skoda Roomster I had with 3 cylinder diesel.

You will have no problem with traction. I measured the weight distribution the other day and it was 54 percent on the rear wheels!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

I have a 535d M Sport with sport auto + adaptive drive.
The engine is sublime - loads of power with immense torque and, thanks to the dual turbo, significantly reduced lag.
The gearbox is equally excellent; in normal driving you hardly notice the changes and when you want to press on I find it almost as responsive as the 7 speed DCT unit fitted to the Z4.
The adaptive drive does pretty much what BMW say, but I would prefer a stiffer ride in sport mode.
So, nothing wrong with the drive-train, but the steering definitely has problems and you should read the ever increasing negative observations on this forum.
For me, it's unacceptable and I don't think I'm going to keep the car unless the on-centre vagueness/straight-line wandering can be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 01:16 AM   #5
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I have a 535d M Sport with sport auto + adaptive drive.
The engine is sublime - loads of power with immense torque and, thanks to the dual turbo, significantly reduced lag.
The gearbox is equally excellent; in normal driving you hardly notice the changes and when you want to press on I find it almost as responsive as the 7 speed DCT unit fitted to the Z4.
The adaptive drive does pretty much what BMW say, but I would prefer a stiffer ride in sport mode.
So, nothing wrong with the drive-train, but the steering definitely has problems and you should read the ever increasing negative observations on this forum.
For me, it's unacceptable and I don't think I'm going to keep the car unless the on-centre vagueness/straight-line wandering can be fixed.

Jon D.

How frustrating for you to have a car that is so good in so many ways and fails in such a basic function as steering.

BMW should be ashamed to launch a vehicle where owners describe steering as unacceptable. BMW should go back to the drawing board and remember what got them to be the envy of the auto industry.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:44 AM   #6
deejaygee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Well I don't have a problem with the steering, at times I found my e90 too heavy, the f10 is perfect in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
algoodman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i xdrive

I have the 535i Xdrive which, I think, has hydraulic steering. I have driven about 300 miles and the steering is excellent. It has no drift and is very responsive. It is my third 5 series, the last being an E39.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

I generally agree with Jon D so I am modifying his comments to reflect my experience. I have a 550i with sport auto + Dynamic Handling Package which in the US includes Adaptive Drive. I also have Interactive Steering.

The SAT gearbox is superb.
The adaptive drive does pretty much what BMW say, but I would prefer a stiffer ride in sport mode. I hate comfort mode on a BMW and normal is too soft.
The Interactive Steering is 95% of what I hope for in a BMW. It has an extremely slight sense of sloppiness when going straight. It is much better than the standard steering.
So, nothing wrong with the drive-train with those options. It is a great car with those options, however BMW has room for improvement to make the car more sporty. My E60 had the non-electronic sport supension and I prefer its stiffness. The other aspects of the car are superb and much better than anything else in its class.

Last edited by pharding; 10-28-2010 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
Mr. Magic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 E46/330 and 2011 F10/535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Jon D.

How frustrating for you to have a car that is so good in so many ways and fails in such a basic function as steering.

BMW should be ashamed to launch a vehicle where owners describe steering as unacceptable. BMW should go back to the drawing board and remember what got them to be the envy of the auto industry.
Ranks as one of the best steering machines I have experienced. Very precise and responsive. My opinion.
      10-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
kjando
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
I generally agree with Jon D so I am modifying his comments to reflect my experience. I have a 550i with sport auto + Dynamic Handling Package which in the US includes Adaptive Drive. I also have Interactive Steering.

The SAT gearbox is superb.
The adaptive drive does pretty much what BMW say, but I would prefer a stiffer ride in sport mode. I hate comfort mode on a BMW and normal is too soft.
The Interactive Steering is 95% of what I hope for in a BMW. It has an extremely slight sense of sloppiness when going straight. It is much better than the standard steering.
So, nothing wrong with the drive-train with those options. It is a great car with those options, however BMW has room for improvement to make the car more sporty. My E60 had the non-electronic sport supension and I prefer its stiffness. The other aspects of the car are superb and much better than anything else in its class.
Do you mean the integral active steering? How do you like it?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
schmoolie
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring View Post
I have 520d with normal auto, fits the car perfectly, a sportbox in this car is like whipping a dead horse.
I disagree somewhat. I have the sport auto on a 520d. Apart from the nicer gear stick ( better symmetry and leather gator) on the sport I think the added tighter steering you get from the sports feature adds a lot to the feel of the car. It's only a £105 extra in the UK so makes sense.
      10-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoolie View Post
I disagree somewhat. I have the sport auto on a 520d. Apart from the nicer gear stick ( better symmetry and leather gator) on the sport I think the added tighter steering you get from the sports feature adds a lot to the feel of the car. It's only a £105 extra in the UK so makes sense.

Actually I dont know what I talk about, I have never tried the
sportbox

But I got the electonic suspension, and in sportmode the steering and auto is sporty enough , so I dont miss anything. What I dont know, I dont miss right?
Appreciate 0