2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Dinan tune - No longer affects the extended warrenty?

08-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
Michael V.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Dinan tune - No longer affects the extended warrenty?

Since I joined this forum it has been pointed out very clearly that Dinan mods and extended warranties do not mix. However after taking my car into service at Erhard BMW, I was informed by my SA/friend that as long as I were to have the CPO inspection completed/purchase the 100,000 mile warranty before any Dinan software was installed it would not affect my CPO status or extended warranty. At first I though he was mistaken (still not entirely sure), but after he talked to several other departments in the dealership and they all agreed with what he had said. Has anyone been told anything remotely similar? My 550i has just over 44,000 miles and I would love to get my hands on the extra power.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
DocOct
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 - F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMRV View Post
Since I joined this forum it has been pointed out very clearly that Dinan mods and extended warranties do not mix. However after taking my car into service at Erhard BMW, I was informed by my SA/friend that as long as I were to have the CPO inspection completed/purchase the 100,000 mile warranty before any Dinan software was installed it would not affect my CPO status or extended warranty. At first I though he was mistaken (still not entirely sure), but after he talked to several other departments in the dealership and they all agreed with what he had said. Has anyone been told anything remotely similar? My 550i has just over 44,000 miles and I would love to get my hands on the extra power.
I find it hard to believe that once your were out of your original warranty, as well as the Dinan warranty, that BMW NA would like to foot the bill for a major engine repair.

I think it would be the case that the dealership would happily take your money to CPO or to provide extended warranty. But if a major drivetrain problem occurred and you had Dinan Stage 5, I'd be interested to know if they'd be on board for the repair.

I've thought of this as well...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
Mr. Grumpy
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

If you can get it from your dealer in writing go for it.
      09-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grumpy View Post
If you can get it from your dealer in writing go for it.
Which will not happen.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Mr. Grumpy
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
Which will not happen.
Exactly, that alone should let him know not to trust the word of mouth. Documentation beats conversation.