2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum N63Tu Oil Level Below Minimum

06-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #1
jackliu0527
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650iXdrive GC

N63Tu Oil Level Below Minimum

I have a 2013 650 GC with N63TU engine that have about 63k kms on it, I did oil change last at 60k and now it says Engine Oil Level Below Minimum add 1liter immediately when I measure engine oil level, no warning on idrive or the system what so ever, if I did not measure oil level I would not have know it was low, so i added a full bottle, drove around for about 30 mins, measure it about 3 more times during those 30 minutes driving, it still shows low level, I dont think I have a leak because I dont have a puddle of oil on my garage floor, however I am reluctant to add more oil because I read somewhere that the system is slow and I can risk of overfilling, so i wanna know

1. Should I add more?
2. why didnt the car warn me? if I didnt measure oil level i would not have known i was low
3. is the measurement accurate? i am still showing low oil level even adding a whole bottle
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

I would drain all the oil from the engine and measure how much you drained out, if its more than you should have then your oil level sensor is most likely bad. I would then replace the oil level sensor and put your newly drained oil back in or buy new oil and measure again. When my f10 550i gives me the low oil warning, it always tells me to add a quart and after I put a quart I check it again and it says it's full. If you didn't get the "low oil warning" your oil level sensor is most likely bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

To answer your other questions,
1. No do not put more oil
2. Your oil level sensor is probably bad
3. The oil level is accurate but, I only top it off when its a full quart low. Again it's probably your oil level sensor.

One question, you said you changed the oil at 60km, how much did you put in? I believe the n63's take 9 quarts, how did you check it then?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 11:53 PM   #4
jackliu0527
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
To answer your other questions,
1. No do not put more oil
2. Your oil level sensor is probably bad
3. The oil level is accurate but, I only top it off when its a full quart low. Again it's probably your oil level sensor.

One question, you said you changed the oil at 60km, how much did you put in? I believe the n63's take 9 quarts, how did you check it then?
I change it at 60k at a local shop, they did put 9qt or 9liter i forgot which one, the receipt says 9 units

so oil lvl sensor is the one that will warn me when I am below oil level? and thats why I am not getting warnings about low oil level?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #5
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackliu0527 View Post
I change it at 60k at a local shop, they did put 9qt or 9liter i forgot which one, the receipt says 9 units

so oil lvl sensor is the one that will warn me when I am below oil level? and thats why I am not getting warnings about low oil level?
most likely yes, its the sensor.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #6
Dank28i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
I have a 2013 650 GC with N63TU engine that have about 63k kms on it, I did oil change last at 60k and now it says Engine Oil Level Below Minimum add 1liter immediately when I measure engine oil level, no warning on idrive or the system what so ever, if I did not measure oil level I would not have know it was low, so i added a full bottle, drove around for about 30 mins, measure it about 3 more times during those 30 minutes driving, it still shows low level, I dont think I have a leak because I dont have a puddle of oil on my garage floor, however I am reluctant to add more oil because I read somewhere that the system is slow and I can risk of overfilling, so i wanna know

1. Should I add more?
2. why didnt the car warn me? if I didnt measure oil level i would not have known i was low
3. is the measurement accurate? i am still showing low oil level even adding a whole bottle
when the N63 engine reads low, you must add 2 quarts. you need one more.

check the oil level one more time the following day. make sure you are driving or parked on a level surface.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 08:42 AM   #7
jackliu0527
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I ended up adding another bottle, total of 2, and it now shows normal oil level, which makes me wonder, how many quarts I would have to loose before the computer actually warns me
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #8
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
I ended up adding another bottle, total of 2, and it now shows normal oil level, which makes me wonder, how many quarts I would have to loose before the computer actually warns me
If you were 2 quarts low and didn't get the low oil level warning, you either checked it just before the car was going to warn you or your sensor is going bad. It would be worth checking into. I'm going to call the dealer and ask them about topping off with 2 qaurts when I get the low oil level message, I've only added 1 and it always says its full so I don't understand why if I need 2 it would be showing full after only adding 1.
Appreciate 0