2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 pulling to the right...

11-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #639
janke
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 520iA Black

Should I be anxious?

Hi, this is my first post!

Iīm eagerly awaiting the delivery of a new 520iA by the end of January. I still drive my second E39 and have started to become a bit worried about whether the F10 will give me a better driving experience or not.

The new car has standard looks with 17" RFTīs for both summer and winter. Inside itīs Nappa leather, DDC and 6WB MFID ++. The drive, in terms of comfort, ease and pleasure, is important to me.

So, in the light of all the reports on bad steering, pulling to the right and vibrations exceeding 65 mph (104kmh), Iīm anxious I might get a Monday car giving me trouble instead of pleasure - especially when steering is expected to be corrected and refined on the 2014 LCI facelift. I didnīt expect to feel like rolling a dice when I ordered the car.

Maybe itīs nothing, and that the long term steering problems on the F10 are gone by now. I need a bit of luck because Iīm buying the car directly from the UK BMW Group, and will not have a local dealer to assist me.

janke

Last edited by janke; 11-25-2012 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Shortening
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #640
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Any further updates on this?

I've had the pulling problem since new too. How do I determine if my car has the latest software, and if there's a new version, how do I get the dealer to install it?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by dbs600; 02-06-2013 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #641
Lazarini
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F07, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Any further updates on this?

I've had the pulling problem since new too. How do I determine if my car has the latest software, and if there's a new version, how do I get the dealer to install it?

Thank you very much.
Let me update u guys on this one... for the ones that do not know I have posted a video not so much back showing the severity of the pull on my 530D. Also regarding the steering wheel position I was always thinking its a bit of center to the right but its actually centered... what fulled me was the fact that it falls slightly to the right driving as of some weird problem it does not wanna hold center and has little to no resistance slightly to the right to the left the resistance is there so when i build up speed 60 km and up the wheel tilts to the right just so slightly and of the car goes to the right.

From then I had the car taken to a dealer had a long chat with them regarding the problem and all the research I have made on my own.
I have asked them straight of the bat to open a P.U.M.A. file on this case...

The dealer had the car for 2 weeks in that time for the first 3 days they tried a few things on their own to no avail and then opened the actual file... Germans have sent them some SW update that they installed and they return the car back to me saying that its fixed now...

I swear to god first 2 weeks it looked to be OKE is or so i thought and then it just returned back to same status as before... looking back objectively now I think it was more my wish that it would be Fixed so i placebo-ed myself thinking its fixed.... Its really unnoticeable in the city at small speeds but as soon as u do some country road driving or highway its there in ure face.

Was at the dealers 2 weeks back and saw the service manager pass by he said hello and asked politely so is the steering now OK... as he asked I saw it on him that he expected I'm going to say its the same! He knew it....

At this point in time I'm looking at my options... as for me this is UNACCEPTABLE... and I cant live with it as it is... I have an appointment at another BMW dealer in another country! on Tuesday 12th FEB. to see if they can do something with it but i have serious doubts.

If no GO i need to get rid of this car this car as it was configured costed 70k EURO!!!! I still have to pay it off for 35 months for a sum that's 1/3 of my income and it don't go straight well f..... 0.....

I had an old banged up e90 330d that i crashed and had to realign chassis 3cm and still it frigging went dead straight!!!
Not to mention the fiat 500 i bought to my dad and my GFs Golf 6 all go straight without andy problem any optics any s....

I cant believe BMW is able to sold so many and get away with this... course they will fix this in the LCI but what does that help me

AGHHHHH... cross ure fingers for me guys for Tuesday that's the last hope I have....

OK Done moaning Regards L
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #642
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

If anyone's had success with an attorney in the New York or Long Island areas, please private message me. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #643
janke
Norway
Rep

Well, my 2013 520i was just fine when it arrived a couple of weeks ago on 17" winter RFTīs . No pulling, dead straight and perfectly leveled steering wheel. No issues at all - except for the 6WB MFID. You donīt notice it looking at the pictures, but the black level on the LCD display is very bad. At night the backlight makes it gray with a tint of blue. No contrast at all compared to the analog parts. Looks like a ten year old LCD TV. Disapointing.
That said, itīs a wonderful car. Hope you guys get your annoying peoblems sorted.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #644
panas
Rep
Drives: none yet (F10 in near future)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janke
Well, my 2013 520i was just fine when it arrived a couple of weeks ago on 17" winter RFTs . No pulling, dead straight and perfectly leveled steering wheel. No issues at all - except for the 6WB MFID. You dont notice it looking at the pictures, but the black level on the LCD display is very bad. At night the backlight makes it gray with a tint of blue. No contrast at all compared to the analog parts. Looks like a ten year old LCD TV. Disapointing.
That said, its a wonderful car. Hope you guys get your annoying peoblems sorted.
You should be able to adjust its brightness in Idrive settings menu... Doesn't it help ??
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #645
janke
Norway
Rep

No, as far as I can see itīs not possible in iDrive. You can only adjust the brightness of the control display, not the instrument display. The MFID is dimmed by the interior lights thumbwheel together with all the others on the dash. The contrast of the LCD display doesnīt increase. All lights dim and become harder to see when you drive. The beautiful amber color turnes red. Not at all like the analog display in my E39. BMW should have invested in a more advanced display technology before they took the jump.
Sorry, didnīt mean to hijack this thread, but thanks for the concern.

Last edited by janke; 02-11-2013 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #646
panas
Rep
Drives: none yet (F10 in near future)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janke View Post
No, as far as I can see itīs not possible in iDrive. You can only adjust the brightness of the control display, not the instrument display. The MFID is dimmed by the interior lights thumbwheel together with all the others on the dash. The contrast of the LCD display doesnīt increase. All lights dim and become harder to see when you drive. The beautiful amber color turnes red. Not at all like the analog display in my E39. BMW should have invested in a more advanced display technology before they took the jump.
Sorry, didnīt mean to hijack this post, but thanks for the concern.
See the movie below and jump to minute 2:09. Position 14 is "Dimming LCD". Maybe somebody can confirm you that it works the same way in 6WB Instrument cluster...

Last edited by panas; 02-11-2013 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #647
janke
Norway
Rep

Thanks, but no it doesnīt work. In the the hidden menu for the 6WB MFID itīs just information on the vehicle and engine status, no choices.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #648
Scare
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA

Hi guys,

The steering issues on the F10 is a well known problem in The Netherlands. Since this thread is still active I decided to register and share my story. I received my F10 520dA in march 2012. My car is a June 2010 build and was registered in September 2010. Being a former AG company car I expected no problems at all. For some reason I didn't notice the pull to the right during my test drive. After driving longer distances the pull became more apparent.

My dealer acknowledged the problem and referred to a Puma case. They wouldn't give me the number but promised they would fix it. My car was two days in the workshop and the engineers rotated the struts and applied the straight ahead software fix. The engineer mentioned that the steering would feel more weighty and that the suspension could appear more tight. My car felt different, much closer to my previous BMW's and the abrupt pull was gone. It still moves with the crown of the road and feels numb compared to hydraulic steering. I noticed that the steering started to feel different after approximately 80km. At this distance the car started to drift again. It is best described as the feeling someone is counter steering which makes the car drift left or right. Driving during a windy day was an absolute horror. After a few weeks I went back to the dealer and explained the problem with map car. My dealer consulted with BMW Germany and decided to replace the power steering rack and realign the car. This solved the 'wandering' and improved overall stability. The car now has a weighty feel to it and drives straight again. Still the electrical steering is no match for hydraulic steering but my F10 now isn't a safety hazard anymore.

1. ’Straight through conversion’ software update
2. Rotate struts + alignment
3. Replace power steering rack + alignment

I've read in German forums that the F10/F11 has had factory production issue with faulty suspension settings and out of tolerance power steering racks.

The same goes for the F30. The Dutch forums are littered with F30 owners complaining about the wandering and vibrations. BMW is addressing this problem with a software update, alignment and replacing steering racks.

Ps: I drove a 2011 520dA and 2012 520iA for comparison and both had the wandering and abrupt pull to the right.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #649
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for your thorough post, Scare.

Do you see anything on the German forums regarding this problem and the F01/F02 7 Series?

Please advise.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #650
Scare
Registered
Rep

Yes all BMW models with electrical power steering have the numb feel to them and quality issues. F01/02 LCI uses EPS, not the x-drive models which come with hydraulic steering. I haven't read anything on production/quality issues like with the F10. F01/02 LCI is brand new and the pre LCI have hydraulic steering.

Good thing is that the F10 has all the fixes in place, at least in Europe. I would definitely get an x-drive or older model with hydraulic steering until BMW has its EPS on par with hydraulic systems. Or drive a model with all these fixes applied to know what I would be getting into.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #651
Lazarini
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F07, F30

OK so update from the other dealer I visited last Tuesday... I dropped of the car and told them in the morning car is pulling right not noticeable at low speeds and starts to be noticeable from 8okmh and up and really annoying at 130kmh the highway speed...
told them also i did 2 wheel aliments already and both said car is set as it should... i had a FW update done and PUMA opened on this case.

they call me 7 hours later saying car has been checked by 3 service people individually all said it drives as it should drive and they experienced no pull to the right and i can come to pickup the car...

So i come there and they say OK this will cost u 105EURO and im like for what? And they say we did a wheel alignment... test drove the car and thats that....

I ask did u drive the car at 130kmh and she said no as it was bad weather we only driven it at speed up to 80 kmh... here is your bill please pay us.

need i say more.... I did not wanna explode there so i just paid and f... o... im done with this
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #652
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Is there another dealer in your area. Obviously this one is only interested in your wallet.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #653
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

why pay them for something you didn't ask for?
      02-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #654
rammer3
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528xi

I'm having the same issue with it pulling to the right slightly
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #655
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scare View Post
Yes all BMW models with electrical power steering have the numb feel to them and quality issues. F01/02 LCI uses EPS, not the x-drive models which come with hydraulic steering. I haven't read anything on production/quality issues like with the F10. F01/02 LCI is brand new and the pre LCI have hydraulic steering.

Good thing is that the F10 has all the fixes in place, at least in Europe. I would definitely get an x-drive or older model with hydraulic steering until BMW has its EPS on par with hydraulic systems. Or drive a model with all these fixes applied to know what I would be getting into.
I bought a F10 550i and took delivery of it in June 2010 the release date, 4 months later my dealer bought it back because they couldnt fix the pulling issue, I reordered a new 550i and to this day have never been more please with the steering.

I run my car many times on the Nürburgring and daily drive it well over 100mph on the autobahn to work, car is solid and steering is precise.
      03-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #656
Scare
Registered
Rep

Good to hear delvek. I really hope bmw fixed the steering in the late models and LCI coming this year.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #657
Steef101
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340i xdrive

Our 2013 535i has the same problems as Scare.
Maybe you can contact me by PM?

Greetings
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #658
natem
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

2011 550i pulling to the right

Same alligment here on my 11' 550i pulling to the right. It has been in the Shop 2 times, now for a third time and still in after 6 working days. Anyone know what is causing this, thsy said it could be the Electric Steering...????
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #659
trivettx
Save the manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i 6MT Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by natem View Post
Same alligment here on my 11' 550i pulling to the right. It has been in the Shop 2 times, now for a third time and still in after 6 working days. Anyone know what is causing this, thsy said it could be the Electric Steering...????
Ditto here. Mine's heading back in tomorrow... 3rd time in 2 weeks (just picked up 2 days ago and still pulling)... I just purchased the car a month ago. To add salt to the wound, the check engine light is on now.
I'll at least be armed with plenty of ammo from this forum. Interesting thing is, in the very first post of a related thread (from 3 years ago!): http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=549373
the invoices pictured have the name of my SA on them... so obviously they know what's going on...

Editing this post as of 12/27/15: Demand from your SA to do the strut modification! See link to that thread in my orig. post above. THAT is the fix. Don't let them tinker around with any other BS. They should know what strut modification means for this common F10 problem. Be persistent!! I am happy to post my RO if it would help anyone!

Last edited by trivettx; 12-27-2015 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #660
rysky007
Rep
Drives: 2014 535Ix M Sport

Same problem but bigger issue

Guys, I made a post about this on the other forum, wanted to get your input here:

Took my car in Monday for scheduled oil change and inspection. Told the SA that since June my car has been pulling to the right a tiny bit at highway speeds, and authorized them to do an alignment.

After doing one, they come back to me telling me:

REPLACE THE RIGHT FRONT UPPER CONTROL
ARM WITH NEGATIVE CAMBER CORRECTION (THE
RIGHT FRONT CAMBER IS OUT-OF-SPEC)

And the kicker, they are telling me that its not covered by the cars warranty because its what is needed to fix the alignment, yet its a part of the car attached to the car??????

They are saying that the alignment is only covered in the first two months, which is fine and dandy I can respect that, but if this top arm is bent slightly after only being driven for 10 months and 8000 miles, and has not had any out side impact, shouldnt that be covered by the warranty since its designed to be straight but has gone bent due to defect?

Am I wrong here guys? has any one had any experience with this?

$600 bucks for a part that may or not even fix my alignment is what they are saying now and still wont budge on warranty, stating that some out side force had to have bent it.

If there was strong enough force to bend an control arm then there would be damage to a tire or wheel as that would take some impact, no?

Is the dealer that broke they are trying to make money on their customers?

Please advise guys.

Also they are charging me for every alignment done, saying they need to do them to see if the fixes fix the issues, I know alignments are only covered for the first 2K miles but I know many have had multiple done, were those customers charged for them ? or did the dealer cover the cost.
Appreciate 0