2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Fabian at Pureboost.de blew up my N55 Engine

06-23-2023, 10:00 AM   #1
socalengineer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640i F13 Alpine White

Fabian at Pureboost.de blew up my N55 Engine

Hi All,

I tuned my car with Fabian at pureboost and it ran pretty good except I kept getting drivetrain malfunctions. At the time I didn't think much of it because it kept happening, he blamed my turbofast bov. So I changed that to the GFB diverter valve.

WOT runs were great, the car ran very fast. However at part throttle I would always get drivetrain malfunctions. Finally I was pushing the car hard (after 6months or so), and the car blew a rod through the block on e30 tune.

I take that as my responsibility because I was driving the car hard, but I knew the tune wasn't right. It was at this time I shouldn't have kept driving on Fabian's tune because I knew always the drivetrain malfunctions would come up.

We replace the engine. Car is running fine a bit, but I know not to get the drivetrain malfunction by not going part throttle in certain gears. Finally the charge pipe from VRSF blows up, and I have it replaced by a evolution racewerks. He tries to tune with the new charge pipe and the car is boosting more but he still gets drivetrain malfunctions and over boost / underboost codes.

So I kept sending him logs and giving him feedback of what gears have the issue because I know if we keep getting drivetrain malfunctions the engine is going to blow up.

He keeps going back and fourth with tunes complaining about my charge pipe, and the car is not running properly. I finally get frustrated and started to work with another tune, and NO drivetrain malfunctions with the first map. The car works great in part throttle and WOT. How is it that the new tuner can tune it in one map, and after 1.5 years Fabian is still struggling to get a map that doesn't give a drivetrain malfunction? At this point the car has a new engine, new charge pipe, new diverter valve everything is perfect. He still cannot get it to run properly and he keeps complaining that I have a boost leak or my hardware is bad. Anyways the engine runs great with the new tunes, so by process of elimination it must be the tuner.

Will post who the new tuner is after I get the tune dialed in and it's working 100% to my liking and I can recommend that tuner for PWG cars.

I sent the logs from Fabian to another tuner (David Shoup) and these were the comments he had on Fabian's tune:
"This is what happens when you run commanded wastegate control. Theres no active PID control to adjust boost for changing conditions. It simply overrides the factory control and allows the tuner to manually input a wastegate duty.

Also, when you run commanded and tune it in a lower gear, it'll likely overboost in the higher gears. The only way to effectively tune it with this logic is to have it underboost in the first few gears.

Im not a fan of this logic for these reasons and prefer to use the factory compressor power which is more time consuming but the end product is better. Many tuners take the commanded route since they can finish a tune faster."
Appreciate 0