2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications coolant spraying from wheel well

07-28-2023, 01:36 AM   #1
IdleGlance
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i w/ M-sport package

Garage List
2014 BMW 550i  [0.00]
coolant spraying from wheel well

I recently made a post, which I deleted.

I removed the wheel and the liner to check where the car was shooting coolant from on the driver side. Turns out it's coming from a hole that is part of the reservoir.

A few days ago, I got a messege stating that coolant was low. Haven't had issues in the past, until now. I added blue coolant and went on my way. I didn't fill it up all the way to the rim of the tank though. Today I noticed it was spraying fluid on my wheel, and shooting with pressure.

So what's the deal? Why does that happen? Because I overfilled it? I didnt fill it up to the rim.

I am assuming I need to replace the reservoir?
Can anyone guide me? Has anyone dealt with this.

I've looked on Google and YouTube, but haven't found jack. I'm at a loss right now. I would like to take care of it instead of taking it to a shop. The car has warranty, but I rather save it for major work, just in case. Lol

I'm just scratching my head as to why that happened.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 12:47 PM   #2
Jo3f1sh
Broke
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Garage List
2014 BMW 550i  [0.00]
There shouldn't be a hole there. I'm not sure how it happened to yours, but it did. Almost looks like someone accidentally screwed into it. You'll need to replace the reservoir. Runs about $160 from FCP Euro.

No hole:

You'll need to drain the coolant to replace it, or you'll get a nice shower when you pull the hoses off.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2023, 08:37 PM   #3
IdleGlance
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i w/ M-sport package

Garage List
2014 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Thank you for your response.

Dang, that's so weird. I just don't understand how the heck that happened. I guess I'll just buy the tank and swap it out. 🤷
Appreciate 0