2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications DSC, ICM and a lot of faults

04-12-2022, 05:21 AM   #1
petervk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

DSC, ICM and a lot of faults

Hi Guy’s,
I bought a BMW F10 with some problems as a project car. After a lot of research I came to the conclusion that the car have had some front damage and is nicely repaired by the previous owner, but he couldn’t figure out all the fault codes that the car has and he sold the car like this. When I bought the car from a car dealer, this information wasn’t known to me. But ok it looked like a nice challenge so I bought the car with the error codes and start my research. Maybe you guys can help me out, I’m kinda new to BMW coding but did some research because I came to the conclusion that a lot of issues are software related.

Started with reading the fault codes, there were a lot of them. And all kinds of faults at the dash, ABS, Park, Airbag, steering, etc. and the speedometer stops working after 500 meters of driving. The motor and gearbox were both fine I drove about 140km from the car dealer to my house without any problems.

A lot of faults but first I want to fix the abs and steering faults so that the car is driveable, the power steering also stops working after 500m of driving. After research I came to the conclusion that the car originally had active cruise control (ACC), but the radar sensor was out, the ABS pump is the one without ACC and the ICM module is also the one without ACC, so they changed everything I think in order to get the car driving without ACC because of the costs of the radarsensor or something I don’t exactly know. One of the fault codes was that the ABS/DSC was not applicable for ACC. I readed the VO and came tot he conclusion that the ACC option (5DF) was still programmed in the car. So I programmed the 5DF option out (hope I did it correctly). After this the fault about ACC in the DSC unit was gone and also a lot of other fault codes in the DSC unit disappeared so this looked better. But for the working principle it doesn’t helped. Still ABS faults, steering faults and nog speedometer. The strange thing is that I also got a fault message extra in the gearbox P 420611 and CF2E01 about sensors, that weren’t there before.

I read the ICM module and the unit gave the fault: control unit faulty, I tried a lot but never got it worked. It also looked like the powersteering had lost its end points (one of the reasons that it was in a fault) but couldnt calibrate it because the ICM unit has a fault. So I came to the conclusion that maybe the ICM unit was defect and ordered a new one and chose the one that originally should be in the car with the ACC option. I installed it and read out the fault code that the unit was not coded for the car. So started Esys and I injected the Cafd file into the ICM unit (hope I did it right, maybe someone can check the steps with me?). And I reset all the fault codes. For this time it really looked like I had achieved something, ICM control unit fault was gone together with a lot of other faults. I started to calibrate the end sensors of the power steering and it worked. So at this moment when I start the car a lot of faults are gone and it looks much better.

But unfortunately when I start driving the car a lot of faults come back. Sometimes I can drive for 800m without problems I let go of the gas and let the car roll out and then accelerate again or I brake and then all the faults pop up. Strange thing is that it actually got worse, I now have a lot of faults in the motor and gearbox that weren’t there before and sometimes the gearbox doesn’t switch gear or I can’t get it in reverse, after turning the car of and on it will switch gear again.
When I read the faults codes in a lot of modules I have faults codes that have to do with the ICM module like:
CDA004 FlexRay, Message (Request 2 Wheel Torque Drive Train Sum Fas, 131.1.4) Is Missing, sender ICM.
CDA104 Message (road gradient, 56.1.2) missing, recipients: DME / DDE (FlexRay), Transmitter: ICM (FlexRay)
And codes about: lateral acceleration, car speed, torsional torque, gravitational acceleration, missing messages at receivers, invalid content signals, etc.

At this moment I’m kind of stuck and don’t know what to do. The ICM module looks better, but I have ICM faults everywhere. The ABS, power steering and speedometer get a fault when I drive the car and now also the motor and gearbox get a fault and it is not driveable like this.
Strange because I know the motor and gearbox are ok because I drove 140+ km with it without problems, so it looks like the DSC and ICM modules are not quite right.

Can it has something to do with the ACC option that is programmed out?
Maybe someone has other ideas, or can help me check if the programming of modules is right?
thanks for thinking along with me!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 02:37 PM   #2
Legoguy9
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi

We’re you able to find a fix for this ?
Appreciate 0