2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum posible to disable dsc dstc on 535d

01-10-2014, 06:08 AM   #1
mr p-j
Private
Rep
Drives: 330 xd

posible to disable dsc dstc on 535d

im planing to buy a 2012 535 diesel xdrive. (touring)
is it posible to compleatly disable the traktion control on that model?

i do some frosen lake driving during vinter and i donīt like electroniks holding me back.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

Press and hold the DSC button for a few seconds and it goes completely off.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr p-j

i do some frosen lake driving during vinter and i dont like electroniks holding me back.
The DSC was designed to run on ice! It's really cool. In fact, BMW had a zamboni commercial to tout this feature!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
BossBeamer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011

Get the sedan!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr p-j View Post

i do some frosen lake driving during vinter and i donīt like electroniks holding me back.
So, there are two systems here - Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and Dynamic Traction Control (DTC). Both will intervene to help keep the car on the road. The DSC is usually enabled under all driving circumstances, while the DTC is usually appropriate for high snow, slush, etc.

DSC is on by default, but not DTC. They're essentially two different "modes" if you want to think of it that way. Pressing the "DSC Off" button once (normally) will disable DSC (or at least portions of it that would disallow wheel spin) and enable DTC, instead, which is great if you're trying to get the car moving when it's stuck in snow or on any slippery surface. This is also enabled by the Sport+ mode since it'll allow the car to have a little wheel spin when launching quickly.

If you press and hold the DSC Off button, it'll turn both DSC and DTC off completely. This will keep the car from intervening at ALL. I've only done this on past BMWs in very few circumstances - if you want to actually purposefully turn the car sideways, or you really need to spin the wheels beyond what even DTC will allow when trying to get out of a jam.

If you're planning to drive "normally" on snow and ice, I'd recommend keeping the DSC system active. If you're driving normally, it'll provide you with all the potential "help" you need to keep the car on the road, especially with xDrive. If you find yourself stuck (or crawling along over ice/deep snow), pressing it once, as I said, will give you DTC. DTC is just going to allow the tires to spin a little more before intervening, where DSC would have immediately cut power to those spinning wheels... not useful sometimes. But I wouldn't drive in this mode on ice or snow if you're going more than 10 - 20mph. Finally, if you're looking to fish tail the car all over a lake, feel free to switch off both and have fun.

I believe all F10 models have the same logic - no difference for the touring and/or diesel models.
Appreciate 0