2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Rant about climate control

03-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #23
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Yes the whole Red Blue dial across the BMW range does mystify me really.
      03-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #24
kyleitchi
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Anti fogging is only one function for choosing/selecting Auto.

Auto is just that... it does it all automatically, anti fogging, solar influence control, adjusting and directing airflows according to demand for heat and cooling, auto recirculation for preventing pollutants entering the cabin, dumping damp air to the floor level on start up, etc., etc.

For sure, it is a complex bit of design and has lots of user tuneable variations. Clearly designed to be left in Auto mode for user comfort and true climate control.

I sense some users prefer the more simple A/C designs, just temperature and fan speed knobs, to continuously switch up and down on personal demand.

I sat with a guy the other day who was delivering me a hire car. He was fiddling with the A/C as we went along, from no air flow and misted up windows, to it being on full heat, then like an arctic gale, all within a 12 mile run. What is that all about? When I took over the car, I set the controls as I would my BMW and never adjusted them in the three days I had the car. Worked perfectly.

HighlandPete
Truthfully I have never used the AUTO function for "true climate" control but think I will now. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #25
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Not sure what kind of trouble you're having - I've owned BMWs for 13 years, and the auto function has always worked (including the same way it works now).

The system will do exactly what you said you'd like it to do - which is adjust the heat or cooling based upon the temperature you set. Keep in mind, a few things can change how it works:

1. If you hit the fan settings (up or down) while on Auto, you'll take it OFF the auto setting... now you're in manual control. The intensity is automatically controlled under auto, so don't touch the fan speed.

2. Likewise, if you mess with the controls of where air is blowing from, this may also take you off the auto mode.

As for the dial on the dash vents, this is something unique to BMW. Once you learn how it works, you'll love it. The idea is that you can control the temperature of the dash vents. For instance, BMW recommends setting this a bit cooler in the winter since you may not want warm air blowing in your face, as it makes many people drowsy (not good for driving).

I usually keep the dash vents somewhere roughly "neutral" and may turn them slightly to cold in the winter for the above-mentioned reason.

If you think there's something else going on, I'd take it in for service.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #26
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterX5 View Post
If it confuses you, just leave it in the middle and pretent the knob is not there.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #27
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I've always seen the face vent "Stratification Adjustment Thumbwheel" and its function, taking Climate Control to another, higher level. I've been using the feature for 12 years in different BMWs, no issues at all.

The ability to fine tune the face vent temperature is a superb feature, IMO.

Just this evening I was driving in 1.5C ambient temperature, in horrible conditions (wet snow). The CC was clearly working to keep the cabin at 20C, blowing in heat, and doing a good job of it on the Auto program. With the face vent thumbwheel in mid position the face level flow and temperature was gentle, neither hot or cold, perfect for driving. Plus the ability to fine tune it 'hotter or cooler' if I want, without changing the ideal cabin heat.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #28
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I just keep mine in full auto 72° All year long and am always comfortable. In the summer, I put the dial on blue just because I want cold air from the vents , the winter I keep it on red because I want no cold air coming in. I've done this in every BMW I've had without any problems. I like never having to fiddle around to be comfortable. And the plus is I most likely won't have the fan picture wear out.
      03-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #29
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Brave of you to make such an admission! Let us not ridicule this courageous man.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 03:44 AM   #30
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Brave of you to make such an admission! Let us not ridicule this courageous man.
I just think it looks a little out of place in the higher cabins really. It just feels like its stuck around since the old school manual air con dials, especially since black panel came along.

Adjust the fan speed, depress a button in the A/C console.
Adjust the temperature, depress a button in A/C console.
Set an individual air flow pattern, press a button in the A/C console.
Set an individual temperature for the top vents - use the thumb wheel.

Please ridicule away as I dared to suggest that for me a single feature in BMW's wasn't for me
      03-21-2014, 05:14 AM   #31
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

The Red-Blue central dial... One of the great things about I love about BMW.

I totally agree with Highland Pete.

Been driving BMWs for 14 years now and over 4 different cars; and I think the only time I have ever adjusted the temp/climate/airflow settings was when I purchased it!

The auto system just works, I do hit the MAX button sometimes in peak summers to get a rush of air-flow and that's about it. The only other dial I adjust is the Red/Blue according to how much cold/hot air I want on my face.

I think, it is actually a very well designed climate control system.
      03-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #32
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
I just think it looks a little out of place in the higher cabins really. It just feels like its stuck around since the old school manual air con dials, especially since black panel came along.

Please ridicule away as I dared to suggest that for me a single feature in BMW's wasn't for me
So if the red blue knob is a push button, you would have no problem with it?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #33
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Interesting isn't it, how we see things differently. I see the thumbwheel as totally in keeping with the central vent design. The controls of the vents "open to closed" are thumbwheels, so to me it's a natural function to manually fine tune the temperature with the same style of control.

One of the key reasons I drive BMW, I have always gelled with the German engineering approach, it falls in place to my way of thinking.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #34
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

LOL this is getting a bit pathetic.

I personally just don't use the Red Blue dial at all. I just leave it set to the middle and use my AC in AUTO mode and adjust the temperature via the digital setting. All you guys that see the dial as a superb piece of engineering and key detail to your car, great I'm pleased for you.

I'm not agreeing with the OP that AUTO mode is useless I just don't use the Red Blue dial.
      03-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #35
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
LOL this is getting a bit pathetic.

I personally just don't use the Red Blue dial at all. I just leave it set to the middle and use my AC in AUTO mode and adjust the temperature via the digital setting. All you guys that see the dial as a superb piece of engineering and key detail to your car, great I'm pleased for you.

I'm not agreeing with the OP that AUTO mode is useless I just don't use the Red Blue dial.
What could be better? If you don't need it, you don't use it. But if you want to, you can.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #36
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

I live in TX. I just run MAX-AC for 9 months out of the year and be done with it lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #37
535Individual
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i Individual (12/2012)

Garage List
Climate control Auto function

Per the manual, the A/C must remain on at all times in the Auto mode for it to work properly. My 2013 535i Climate Control works great.
2013 535i BMW Individual Moonstone(Mondstein)Metallic with BMW Individual composition•Platinum Ext. Merino leather with Piano Black Trim•Individual wood inlay steering wheel•Ceramic Controls•B & O Sound System•Driver Assist Package•Luxury Seating Package•Technology Package• Premium Package•Dynamic Damping Control•Parking Assistant•Power rear sunshade•Soft-close automatic doors•Automatic high beams•
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #38
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jykishan View Post
Is it me or is the "auto" function of the climate control completely useless?? …. The temp here in N. FL is all over the damn place, some days like today its 70 and some days its 35 at night, not cold for you northerners but still. So like today if its 70 and I want cool air, I turn the dial to 60, but I still get warm air out of the windshield/side window vents because the center dial is still red, and if I feel like the air is blowing too slow, I gotta turn up the air speed. Whats the point? Am I doing something wrong??
[EDIT] WARNING: If you life in a cold snowy climate, when reading further, resist the strong desire to stick an ice pick in your eye.

As a Floridian, I empathize with this. Strategies for using the BMW system by people in regions with more defined "seasons" don't play well in those like Florida.

The role of the center knob has been explained well in this thread so I won't go into it. For what it's worth, here's my strategy that I am using:

Set the center "Face Vent" in the middle position between red and blue marks.
Sometime when the temperature is in the 80's and you've had the AC running, put the CC in Auto mode and intensity level 3. Adjust the temperature until you find the car stays comfortable. Put the intensity on level 2 and leave it there.

When you get in a hot car, press Max AC until the car cools down. Then press Max AC again to return to normal AC. Anytime you feel the CC isn't keeping up with the heat pounding in the windshield, that means the range you are allowing the CC to operate within isn't keeping up. You need to increase it's intensity using the intensity control. Likewise, if the sun isn't as intense and you you want it quieter, lower the intensity and that will limit the noise level of the fan and hopefully keep up with the cooling needs.

When you want heat, press the AC button to turn it off. Personally, I find I have a different temperature for heating situations then for cooling since clothing is different. I haven't had much chance to hone in on the heating scenario. Winter was only a couple of days long this year. YMMV

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 03-23-2014 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #39
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Quote:
I've always seen the face vent "Stratification Adjustment Thumbwheel" and its function, taking Climate Control to another, higher level. I've been using the feature for 12 years in different BMWs, no issues at all.

The ability to fine tune the face vent temperature is a superb feature, IMO.

Just this evening I was driving in 1.5C ambient temperature, in horrible conditions (wet snow). The CC was clearly working to keep the cabin at 20C, blowing in heat, and doing a good job of it on the Auto program. With the face vent thumbwheel in mid position the face level flow and temperature was gentle, neither hot or cold, perfect for driving. Plus the ability to fine tune it 'hotter or cooler' if I want, without changing the ideal cabin heat.

HighlandPete
Totally, totally agree.
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #40
jykishan
vroom vroom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The air speed in the BMW HVAC system does not varies thru out the its min and max range, instead, you set a range of air speed you like by using the fan speed adjustment while you are in auto. Some people like to slowly heat up or cool down the cabin and some like it fast. When in auto, there are like 5 or 6 bars of fan speed adjustment and in manual, there are something like 10 bars. When the fan speed change, you will not see that on the bars, if vary the temp from min to max, you may feel or hear it in the vent but the fan speed indicator will not change like all the other cars because it is not an indicator, instead, it is a fan speed range adjustment setting.
whoa this thread is 2 pages now, this explanation answered my question, they don't really explain this crap too well in the manual, I've left my temp set to 72 for the last week or so, 2 days ago it was 70, last night it was 35, without adjusting the temp it seems to work well, a slight turn of the dial and I get warmer air in the center, but the overall cabin temp remains at 72. I guess its more of a "auto w/options" as opposed to "auto" like other cars.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 10:18 PM   #41
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The air speed in the BMW HVAC system does not varies thru out the its min and max range, instead, you set a range of air speed you like by using the fan speed adjustment while you are in auto. …. if vary the temp from min to max, you may feel or hear it in the vent but the fan speed indicator will not change like all the other cars because it is not an indicator, instead, it is a fan speed range adjustment setting.
Doesn't this say that in Auto Mode the HVAC is capable of running between 0 and 100% but the "Intensity" setting chooses the minimum and maximum fan speed in these ranges?
1-20
20-40
40-60
60-80
80-100

Therefore, if the thermostat is set to 70, you set it in the 0-20 range and that isn't enough to cool it to 70, then it won't cool it to that temperature which challenges the whole meaning of a thermostat and "Auto" mode?
      03-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #42
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
Doesn't this say that in Auto Mode the HVAC is capable of running between 0 and 100% but the "Intensity" setting chooses the minimum and maximum fan speed in these ranges?
1-20
20-40
40-60
60-80
80-100

Therefore, if the thermostat is set to 70, you set it in the 0-20 range and that isn't enough to cool it to 70, then it won't cool it to that temperature which challenges the whole meaning of a thermostat and "Auto" mode?

I understand your observation. Isn't that in our favour? If our operating conditions are more moderate we don't need to have the higher air flows. If we have more extremes, we may want to have higher air flows to suit our demands. Simply more options than a simple HVAC system, set it and let it function automatically.

Just as the ECO PRO HVAC settings won't fit with everyone's driving circumstances, all the time, some users will need to change driving modes to get higher HVAC function, all of us have the option to tune the HVAC to our comfort levels.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #43
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand your observation. Isn't that in our favour? If our operating conditions are more moderate we don't need to have the higher air flows. If we have more extremes, we may want to have higher air flows to suit our demands. Simply more options than a simple HVAC system, set it and let it function automatically.

Just as the ECO PRO HVAC settings won't fit with everyone's driving circumstances, all the time, some users will need to change driving modes to get higher HVAC function, all of us have the option to tune the HVAC to our comfort levels.

HighlandPete
Actually, I'm a fan (pardon the pun). I just wanted to make sure I understood it and writing it the way I did may be a helpful breadcrumb for others who read this later.
      03-27-2014, 07:03 AM   #44
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
Actually, I'm a fan (pardon the pun). I just wanted to make sure I understood it and writing it the way I did may be a helpful breadcrumb for others who read this later.
I'm not normally in extremes of temperature with my car, (typically 0 - 20C) but even with the lowest intensity, there is more fan activity than we may imagine the setting gives, as we move towards the extremes of heating and cooling. I sense some decent 'overlap' in fan speeds, if we can term it that. If there wasn't, I'd be turning up the intensity level.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0