2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Bumper replacement & repainting

03-08-2023, 08:49 AM   #1
Beemerfan123
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10

Bumper replacement & repainting

I would like to hear some advice regarding the following:

1. Is the use of spectrophotometer a guarantee that the new paint will perfectly match the existing paintwork? I ask this because I read that there are so many factors affecting how the color eventually appears. A local workshop using the full Glasurit system claims that it can do perfect color matching. It is expensive though. I don't wish to plunk down lots of money and getting disappointed by not getting the perfect match promised.

2. Given the multitude of variables affecting the final color/tone, is it ever possible that manual mixing of paint can achieve a level of matching that is not noticeble to nake eyes?

3. Does bumper paint (on plastic) fade faster compared to paint on metal/aluminium?

4. If workshop did not get the color-matching of bumper right the first time, but agrees to redo it, can it be done without removing the bumper from the car? Is it necessary to sand down to the primer level? What are some risks associated with repainting, such as peeling, etc?

5. Is dark graphite metallic gray a tough color to match? Is there an option for the bodyshop to vary the amount of metallic flakes in the paint?

6. Personally, would you insist on a perfect color match between bumper and bonnet/fender? I ask this because I see that many cars in my neighborhood have bumpers of various color variations from the metal panels.
Appreciate 0