2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Android CID/CIC After Install Sound Issues

01-29-2024, 01:17 PM   #1
Dlucke17
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i, X5, 240sx

Android CID/CIC After Install Sound Issues

All, need some help...

I completed the Carplay install on my 2011 550i w/ CIC and since I have intermittent sound and iDrive functionality. I worry that I may have damaged the fiber optic cables but still unsure. Need some extra thoughts from you all.

This is my second install as I did my wife's X5 a couple weeks ago. That install was flawless (though the WiFi connection for Android Auto is crap at times) and gave me good pointers for the F10 install.

When I hooked everything up and moved the fiber wires to their new home, ran the AUX cable to the jack in the console, I tested the system which is when I first noted the issue. I get a BMW message "No warning Tones" on the screen, the controller does not respond and there is no sound from OEM or from AUX (radio included).

The sound rarely works, just spits out sound when it wants too, usually at the worst time and scares the crap out of the kids (yes, me tooo).

The controller and iDrive are completely hit or miss. Sometimes it acts as if nothing is wrong and I can scroll, select, etc. Other times, the "No Warning Tones" is all that is displayed and I have zero control.

Background - Recent purchase and has a rebuilt title, so some type of major damage in the past. I bring that up b/c the system and software all seems to never have been updated. With that, I have been learning and working to Code the different ECUs and update the software, so keep that in mind as a possible error I could have made.

Troubleshooting - Scouring the forums, I have read about amps going out, Fiber signals becoming an issue, damaged cables, etc., but nothing substantially pointing to ONE fault (I know, it rarely does...).

- I have disconnected everything and reconnected
- I have verified there is a red blinking light from the fiber cable at the CIC
- I have verified there is a fiber signal from all components in the trunk
- I have reset DTC codes with BimmerUtility (I'm sure this does nothing, but hell, worth a try)
- I have disconnected the battery, reconnected

I will also add that one of the recurring messages I get is the SOS calling malfunction error. No clue what that is about just yet.

THOUGHTS???

I just read this from jared21927 in a separate thread:

Did you code in BimmerCode? I had to do this for my Android sound to work

Coded:
In the Head Unit module:
CDMM_AUX_HU to active
CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE to not active
CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE to not active

I have not tried that. My next step is to pull the amp to see if there is any corrosion. And then, head to my local pick-a-part to see if the 2011 there has the complete fiber cable intact.... Ugh, that sounds FUN....
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 10:11 PM   #2
Dlucke17
United_States
Rep

Anyone??? I know some of you had this issue.

FYI, I did pick up a Fiber loop for testing, so can report back once I check that side out.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 01:50 PM   #3
Dlucke17
United_States
Rep

Hey all, I wanted to respond because my resolution was different then any I have found for this same issue. My problem was a result of my poor coding.... It would seem that when I tried to update the CAFD file in the AMP ECU, I must have jacked something up when coding. At roughly the same time I was installing an Android CID upgrade. I just assumed I jacked up the fiber cable or fried my amp.....

Anyways, playing around today with BimmerUtility and e-Sys, I tried the update and code in eSys and also used BU to remove and then add the HiFi VO back and voila, sound is back.

Short answer - always check your code
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 03:57 PM   #4
Dlucke17
United_States
Rep

Scratch that, not fixed... Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 03:35 PM   #5
jared21927
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

This sounds like an electrical problem. Intermittent sound seems to be a deeper issue than some coding. Wondering if all new wiring would help
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 01:33 AM   #6
Aussie_550i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i, 2017 430i

Was the OEM HU working without issues? If so, Maybe try going back to it and seeing if it still does. at least you will know if original wiring is good or possibly that the piggy back loom has an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 03:53 PM   #7
Dlucke17
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared21927 View Post
This sounds like an electrical problem. Intermittent sound seems to be a deeper issue than some coding. Wondering if all new wiring would help
This is the unfortunate thought I have had also. I hate to even think about all the work needed to run the cable from the CIC to the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 04:08 PM   #8
Dlucke17
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_550i View Post
Was the OEM HU working without issues? If so, Maybe try going back to it and seeing if it still does. at least you will know if original wiring is good or possibly that the piggy back loom has an issue.
Great troubleshooting thought! I briefly tried this as well, but still had the issue.

I pulled the trunk apart and did see the red light blinking from all components. I do have the "SOS Malfunction" issue, but I think I recall that being there since I've had the car (less then a month).

I have also noted that iDrive functionality with the controller has been better, though still an issue. I still have the "No Warning Tones" message pop up, but at times that may only show once when the car starts.

With this issue, I've been fighting the "Drivetrain Malfunction" error that lights the Speedo up like a x-mas tree. I tell you this b/c I have been trying to code the ECUs with updates and VO code certain functions, so I very well could have made a mistake.

I have been surfing ever post or video I can to figure out what that issue is. I've tried the original unit. I've tried two different Carplay manufactures. I've tested fuses, I've verified optical lights at the modules in the back. I've VO removed HiFi system from the car and then reconnected and added it back. I've even tested around with adding/removing the higher end HK or B/O sound VO options with no end success. My tiny thought of success above was when I VO removed/added HiFi.

I have yet to test the loopback and hope to do that tomorrow.

Just like with the Drivetrain Malfunction (car runs and shifts like a dream!!), my issue and resolution is never that simple. Hurray BEER! lol
Appreciate 0