2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media Why lower?

04-24-2016, 07:46 AM   #1
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

Why lower?

I really enjoy seeing all the upgrades y'all perform on our beloved F10s. Many I like, a few I don't, but it's cool to see all of them. The creativity here is almost as awesome as our cars.

I understand almost all of them, but one I don't understand is lowering the car. I guess (?) it's cosmetic and also maybe performance related in creating a better ground effect and traction.

Am I missing something? I have no intent of lowering mine, but I'm curious as to the reasons y'all lower yours.
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Hey Brother as you can see I just did mine! I think because I've been into racing since 91' all my cars have been lowered. It's just part of the culture. When I see a lowered car you know he's a racer, car enthusiast, car junkey, tuner, ect....for the most part it lowers the center of gravity on your car. It also eliminates some or all of the ugly wheel gap we all hate. with springs or coilovers this will help how the vehicle Launches, handles cornering, tracking, and your Weekend canyon carving. Also, it looks cool!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 04-24-2016 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 4
      04-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #3
Sticky4l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Hey Brother as you can see I just did mine! I think because I've been into racing since 91' all my cars have been lowered. It's just part of the culture. When I see a lowered car you know he's a racer, car enthusiast, car junkey, tuner, ect....for the most part it lowers the center of gravity on your car. It also eliminates some or all of the ugly wheel gap we all hate. Launching, cornering, tracking, and your Weekend canyon carving having a well tuned suspension is why we lower our cars. Also, it looks cool!
Couldn't have said it better. There's definitely handling gains to it but anyone who says they're not doing it for aesthetic reasons is kidding themselves!
Appreciate 7
      04-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky4l View Post
Couldn't have said it better. There's definitely handling gains to it but anyone who says they're not doing it for aesthetic reasons is kidding themselves!
Haha I was editing my post
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #5
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbama85 View Post
Am I missing something? I have no intent of lowering mine, but I'm curious as to the reasons y'all lower yours.
I was wondering the same, lots of them just don't look good at all to me.

Not knocking those who do. I kinda get the culture and why people do it, and we can't all like the same thing, so all the power to those who do, it's their own money and cars.

What I don't get is extremes, on any car, or drastically lowering cars like F10. These are large luxury vehicles, 10 mm. or so, closing the gap a bit, maybe improving handling, yeah, but going real low in my opinion cheapens otherwise classy looking car.
Appreciate 3
      04-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbama85 View Post
I really enjoy seeing all the upgrades y'all perform on our beloved F10s. Many I like, a few I don't, but it's cool to see all of them. The creativity here is almost as awesome as our cars.

I understand almost all of them, but one I don't understand is lowering the car. I guess (?) it's cosmetic and also maybe performance related in creating a better ground effect and traction.

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand even thou you answered your own question when you asked it.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #7
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand even thou you answered your own question when you asked it.
Wow, that's a pretty big leap, don't you think?

But I didn't know for sure and the other answers confirmed it. I appreciate the people who took the time to answer it and assumed I could understand after an explanation.
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

That's Teddy for you! He's just pretty straight forward with his answers and we automatically assume you guys should know... but he's right! Lowering is a common mod and if you go through any of the forums whether it's the M5 board, M6, and especially the M4 boards everybody and their mama has their car lowered. Its just what we do and is is the best way to lower the center of gravity on your car. Taking hard turns, corners or canyon carving makes the handling of the car that much better! Along with some upper front strut bars and front/rear sway bars you have a pretty well custom tuned suspension that can be lot's of fun if that's what you're into and a lot of us are. It's almost like asking why do people upgrade their stereo. Some people are fine with stock but than there's your Audiophiles who love music and will dump $5k+ just in audio.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
That's Teddy for you! He's just pretty straight forward with his answers and we automatically assume you guys should know... but he's right! Lowering is a common mod and if you go through any of the forums whether it's the M5 board, M6, and especially the M4 boards everybody and their mama has their car lowered. Its just what we do and is is the best way to lower the center of gravity on your car. Taking hard turns, corners or canyon carving makes the handling of the car that much better! Along with some upper front strut bars and front/rear sway bars you have a pretty well custom tuned suspension that can be lot's of fun if that's what you're into and a lot of us are. It's almost like asking why do people upgrade their stereo. Some people are fine with stock but than there's your Audiophiles who love music and will dump $5k+ just in audio.
Fair enough.

But remember some of us are new owners. Me for four months. To assume we should know what other long term members know sort of defeats the purpose of the usefulness of these forums. I've searched adnausim for a lot of topics with varying degrees of success and failure. Just yesterday a guy asked about speaker reviews and I just gave him the link to mine, not 'you should know this'.

I've really appreciated the spirit of cooperation and help on these forums as I've learned about my F10.
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 08:11 PM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Not sure what else to say on this so I'll leave it at that
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2016, 10:10 PM   #11
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

I definitely prefer a lowered car, for all the reasons lsturboineg said. However, what I don't like is the "stanced" look with ridiculously stretched tires where the wheels look like /---\ it isn't safe, give no performance advantage and generally looks silly. And no, stretching a 205 tire onto your 11 inch rims doesn't look "cool" it looks idiotic
Appreciate 3
      04-24-2016, 10:23 PM   #12
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
I definitely prefer a lowered car, for all the reasons lsturboineg said. However, what I don't like is the "stanced" look with ridiculously stretched tires where the wheels look like /---\ it isn't safe, give no performance advantage and generally looks silly. And no, stretching a 205 tire onto your 11 inch rims doesn't look "cool" it looks idiotic
My old crew back in Cali does this and I always ask why? And they said it's the trend right now. So it'll eventually go away just like all trends do and something new comes along. Its crazy if you watch those YouTube videos installing a stretched tires with the lighter fluid and match technique
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2016, 11:01 PM   #13
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
My old crew back in Cali does this and I always ask why? And they said it's the trend right now. So it'll eventually go away just like all trends do and something new comes along. Its crazy if you watch those YouTube videos installing a stretched tires with the lighter fluid and match technique
Yeah, I don't get it. Why get a performance car then proceed to ruin the performance? To me it is similar to seeing a Prius on 20's (yes, I have seen it), and I couldn't help but think: Okay, you bought a Prius for economy, so you then proceed to put huge wheels and tires on it effectively ruining the only redeeming quality of a Prius? Makes no sense. I would easily bet that a Prius with 20's gets no better fuel economy than my F10, and I am waaaaaaay more comfortable.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2016, 11:10 PM   #14
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Lowering also has to be done right. Cutting springs will most likely ruin the handling. So too will improperly setting up adjustable coilovers, or if the height adjustment is not done well. I have helped friends that had variances between coilovers of over 1.5" in height and I couldn't believe they had been driving it like that. Same goes for needlessly setting all to full stiff - why?
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #15
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
I lower all of my cars. Just a mild drop to Improve looks and handling.
      04-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #16
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkey View Post
I lower all of my cars. Just a mild drop to Improve looks and handling.
Pretty much everybody's main reason
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 06:06 AM   #17
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Be nice to quantify what is being given up to lower.
While it might corner better, are we giving up ride comfort to accomplish this?
No doubt it looks nice, but "culture" is kind of lost on me as I'm not hanging out with others who would do the same.

The F10 is a big heavy girl and she actually corners pretty good for her girth.

What is the cost to lower? Does a half inch matter? does it effect tire wear?
does anyone have regret doing it?
      04-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #18
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod View Post
Be nice to quantify what is being given up to lower.
While it might corner better, are we giving up ride comfort to accomplish this?
No doubt it looks nice, but "culture" is kind of lost on me as I'm not hanging out with others who would do the same.

The F10 is a big heavy girl and she actually corners pretty good for her girth.

What is the cost to lower? Does a half inch matter? does it effect tire wear?
does anyone have regret doing it?
it really depends on how you do it in regards to ride comfort. if you just go aftermarket springs while utilizing the OEM shock than yeah, over time it'll blow or start to leak. i've heard some people like the ride and other's didn't. if you get a coilover like KW's you pay more but the spring is matched with the shock and is made for specific model. my car rides like OEM with a tad of firmness! do i regret doing this, hell no! the real question is what the hell took me so long?!
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 10:19 PM   #19
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Mine is lowered 1.5" in the front and 1" in the rear and it rides great! I didn't give up anything to do this, it still rides soft in comfort mode and is stiffer in sport mode. My car has the DHP & EDC options so all I could do is the H&R sport springs, the stock shocks are lifetime lasting with my options and it's not hurting them in anyway. The springs were $293 shipped and me and my girlfriends son put them on in a few hours. The fender gap on this car is horrendous in stock form and it drove me insane, I would never put it back to stock or regret it. For me it's not about culture or racing or what anyone else thinks, it's my car and I did it only for me. I could careless if people like it or not infact no matter what your into for example, cars, planes, guns big tits or small tits there's always going to be haters who hate because they either hate their life or they were abused as children. If you can find a reason to hate something a majority of people like then your a hater and I feel sorry for you.
Attached Images

Last edited by Teddylongtooth; 04-26-2016 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #20
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 11:54 PM   #21
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Here's my car in stock form..........

Yuck!!!! Look at that fender gap???!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Teddylongtooth; 04-27-2016 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 05:48 AM   #22
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
Here's my car in stock form..........

Yuck!!!! Look at that fender gap???!!!
xDrive? Looks extremly high.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0