2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Rear tyre problem - Advice please!

12-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #23
jonw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Comp Gran Coupe & X5 MSport

Garage List
Hi guys very interesting thread this.
I've got a new Msport GT but on the 19s not 20s like your cars.
I'll be keeping a close eye on the rear tyre wear.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #24
John W
Registered
Rep
Drives: 5GT

Guess what, 18000 miles and the rear tyre has disintegrated on the drivers side the other side is down to the steel (Goodyear Tyres). BMW have suggested that the tyres were not inflated correctly and are not aware of any problem with the model.

I am planning a visit to the showroom and intend to throw both tyres on the floor in the showroom and see if they are preparred to take this issue seriously. This is not what I expect from a £40k luxury vehicle.

Last edited by John W; 12-16-2011 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #25
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Pirelli P Zero 20" on mine, completed 25,500 miles and rear tyres have worn slightly more on the outside. Rears will need changing in the next couple of weeks but fronts still have around 4 or 5mm on them
2019 G05 3.0d MSport in Artic Grey/ Black 2015 F15 3.0d MSport/ 2014 F15 3.0d MSport, Carbon Black with Ivory White/ Black interior. 2015 f23 2 series convertible in Glacier Silver / Black. 2010 F07 5GT SE Sapphire Black with Ivory White/black interior
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #26
Stingray2
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d GT

Hi guys, this is my first attempt at using one of these forums so please excuse any errors!
I, too, have a 530d GT with 20 inch 253 alloys shod with Goodyear excellence runflats. Having seen this, and other, forums mentioning issues with these tyres I have been keeping an eye on mine. My car has now done 13,300 miles and the very inside edge on both rears is showing excessive uneven wear compared to the rest of the tread. I have taken my car to a local dealer and they have inspected both tyres and agree that this is not what they would expect to see. They have taken photographs and sent them to BMW Technical dept and they are awaiting a response to the issue. I mentioned that there are various forums discussing this on the internet, most of which seem to highlight this being isolated to the Goodyears. So I am now waiting in anticipation of BMW's reply.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #27
PhilThomas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW GT 535d

Hello guys, just signed up.....I've got a 2011 GT 535d, 15k....with a burst rear tyre offside, nearside down to the wire.

The tyre air pressure alarm did not sound at all (unlike my previous 320d), so its come as a huge shock to me that the rear tyres are 'gone'....15k!!!

I too check the tyre pressures, so I am will be armed with this info when I tackle Sytner Newport after Xmas.

Phil
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #28
Stingray2
Rep

Hi Phil,
Out of interest, what tyres has your car got? Are they Goodyear Excellence or Pirelli PZero?

Julian.

Last edited by Stingray2; 12-23-2011 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #29
PhilThomas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW GT 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2 View Post
Hi Phil,
Out of interest, what tyres has you car got? Are they Goodyear Excellence or Pirelli PZero?

Julian.
Hi Julian,

I knew I should've added the tyre make, but its been lashing it down with rain!

Anyway, the rear tyres are Goodyear Excellence 275/35R 20.

Cheers,

Phil
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #30
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Unlike some TPM devices, the ones on the GT appear not to actually measure discrete pressure, but to measure a change from the reset value. So, if they were never set, or the computer lost the reference level, the computer warning may not go off. Also, if it lost air while parked and the car was off, to wouldn't know it was flat for a bit - it can take many revolutions before it actually senses the TP and could alert you. The correct set/initialize procedure is to get the tires all with the proper, ideal pressure, then tell the computer to reset them...then, it looks for differences from that value. If it was flat, it wouldn't know, as it would have initialized to a value of zero, but it wouldn't change since it was flat. In the winter, it can be a challenge, as coming from say a warm garage into subzero weather, the pressure will change considerably, and depending on when you reset it, or how far you've driven, the reference value initialized may likely be wrong. 10-degrees lower causes a 1# decrease in pressure.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #31
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
My Pirelli 275/35R20 rear tyres have worn more on the outside edges which is surprising given that others are experiencing wear on the inner edges? I have completed 26,000 miles so cannot complain both tyres are down to 2mm on the outside ; 3mm in the centre and approx 4mm on the inner edge. I will have the camber and toe angles checked when I replace them. I'm nervous about changing the camber given the experience of others but in theory the readings should show a positive camber on mine where as usual BMW set up is for a slight negative camber.
2019 G05 3.0d MSport in Artic Grey/ Black 2015 F15 3.0d MSport/ 2014 F15 3.0d MSport, Carbon Black with Ivory White/ Black interior. 2015 f23 2 series convertible in Glacier Silver / Black. 2010 F07 5GT SE Sapphire Black with Ivory White/black interior
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #32
agar1958
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 SERIES GT

5 series GT rear tyre wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickers1972 View Post
Update on my rear tyre issues.

So I've had the rear tyres replaced & at the same time, BMW completed a rear suspension alignment check (KDS test). This came back stating that the rear suspension was correctly aligned so still no explanation for the rears wearing to the cord on the inside edge. As we know, the GT is quite a rare car but, a chap who lives half a mile from me has one too so I called in to see him & guess what, he has had exactly the same problems as me with uneven wear however unfortunately, he only found out after having a double blow out of both tyres whilst on the motorway in April this year.

Interestingly, he uses the same BMW garage as me & when I asked them a couple of weeks ago if they had observed similar problems, they said no, never. This is the first time. This was not true as his car had been in only weeks earlier!! A convenient case of amnesia it seems...

We have both been in together to speak with the BMW service manager & she has acknowledged that this does not seem to be an isolated fault. A BMW technical manager will be coming to inspect both of our cars in the next couple of weeks. They also suggested that the rear suspension was intentionally set up with an adverse camber (similar to an M3 or M5) to provide maximum grip when cornering. Now this is a 2 ton car & we have suggested that the weight of the car is putting too much pressure on the inner edge. We'll wait & see what comes of the inspection.

I therefore need some help from other GT owners with 20 inch rims:

1. From a safety point of view, I would suggest that either you or a qualified tyre technician inspects your rear tyres for signs of uneven wear. At the same time, it might suggest that there isn't a wider issue too but if like me when you check your tyres & see lots of tread across the middle section & assume all is well, better to be safe than sorry.

2. I would appreciate it if any UK GT owners with 20 inch rims who does find uneven wear would message me with further info as this will give collective strength to this case with BMW for all of our benefit as this will clearly highlight a wider problem affecting the GT which will need to be rectified.

Many thanks.

Rob
Rob
how are you getting on with BMW on this issue -any solution? I have exactly the same problem - at 17,000 miles tyre (275/35 R20 Goodyear excellence) suffered a blow out. Investigation revealed seperation at inner edge. Opposite tyre very similar - down to the cords. What makes me more irritated is that the car was only serviced 1000 miles before with no mention on the report of any such issue. if only i had seen your advice to check the tyres before the incident but there again you assume that a recently serviced BMW will be safe. i intend to pursue BMW myself but more than happy to share notes if it will help either of us.
cheers
john
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #33
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Looking at other posts it seems that Pirelli P Zero 20" wear very slightly more on the outside and Goodyear Excellence wear a huge amount on the inside edge. So maybe it is the tyres rather than the car set up? Certainly seems sensible to avoid the Goodyear product for this vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #34
Stingray2
Rep

5 series GT rear tyre wear

Hi Guys,
Just thought I would follow up on my experience so far. Having highlighted the tyre wear problem to my local dealer before Christmas, as per my earlier entry, my dealer has contacted BMW technical department and they have requested that my vehicle has a 4 wheel alignment (KDS) check on Wednesday 11th January. The dealer wishes to keep the vehicle in until Thursday 12th whilst they update BMW with the findings. My local dealer has told me that the alignment check will cost £150 but if no problem is found I may get this back from BMW. So now I will have to await the outcome of this check. After all the research I have done, I will definately be looking to put Pirelli 275/35 20's on as replacements if at all possible.

With the number of blowouts being reported you would think BMW would be thinking about a recall on all GT's fitted with Goodyears
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #35
agar1958
Rep

Quote:
Hi Guys,
Just thought I would follow up on my experience so far. Having highlighted the tyre wear problem to my local dealer before Christmas, as per my earlier entry, my dealer has contacted BMW technical department and they have requested that my vehicle has a 4 wheel alignment (KDS) check on Wednesday 11th January. The dealer wishes to keep the vehicle in until Thursday 12th whilst they update BMW with the findings. My local dealer has told me that the alignment check will cost £150 but if no problem is found I may get this back from BMW. So now I will have to await the outcome of this check. After all the research I have done, I will definately be looking to put Pirelli 275/35 20's on as replacements if at all possible.

With the number of blowouts being reported you would think BMW would be thinking about a recall on all GT's fitted with Goodyears
With the number of issues reported the factory settings must be the problem and the alignment check is very unlikely to show a change from the factory settings. One of the previous correspondents (I think it was from bickers1972) stated that he had the alignment check performed and the original factory settings were confirmed. I wait with great interest to see the results of your alignment check. Thank goodness for this site. Unfortunately I had no choice other than to replace my tyres immediately and had new Goodyear Excellence tyres fitted!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #36
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 520D MSport

Dear all. Apologies as I have not looked at the thread for a couple of months & was staggered to see so many new issues.

By way of update, my tyres were sent to Goodyear for inspection. The subsequent report confirmed there was a technical fault & I was offered 55% of the cost of replacements as compensation. BMW customer services then agreed to make this up to 100% given the amount of chasing around that I'd had to do. I accepted this however stated that I would not agree to full & final settlement as clearly I wanted to see what wear had occurred after the next 12k miles. The cost of the KDS check was also refunded.

My next service is due next month so I await the inspection report with eager anticipation however I'm comforted by the fact that I changed to Pirelli P Zeros & this problem seems to be mainly affecting GoodYear Excellence.

Finally, I did speak to Goodyear after my tyres were inspected & asked if the tyres were unfit for purpose. They would not commit to an answer & re-confirmed the technical problem with my tyres.

Cheers
Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #37
agar1958
Rep

Quote:
Dear all. Apologies as I have not looked at the thread for a couple of months & was staggered to see so many new issues.

By way of update, my tyres were sent to Goodyear for inspection. The subsequent report confirmed there was a technical fault & I was offered 55% of the cost of replacements as compensation. BMW customer services then agreed to make this up to 100% given the amount of chasing around that I'd had to do. I accepted this however stated that I would not agree to full & final settlement as clearly I wanted to see what wear had occurred after the next 12k miles. The cost of the KDS check was also refunded.

My next service is due next month so I await the inspection report with eager anticipation however I'm comforted by the fact that I changed to Pirelli P Zeros & this problem seems to be mainly affecting GoodYear Excellence.

Finally, I did speak to Goodyear after my tyres were inspected & asked if the tyres were unfit for purpose. They would not commit to an answer & re-confirmed the technical problem with my tyres.

Cheers
Rob
Thanks for the update Rob. Very much appreciated. It will hopefully short circuit the investigation on my car. I cant help but wonder what the technical problem is with the Goodyear tyres. Given I had another pair 0f Goodyears fitted last week I also wonder if the same technical issue exist with these and if they are safe. Could you help me with the Goodyear contact details?
Many thanks
John
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 03:55 AM   #38
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi John

Can you set your profile to receive Private Messages & I will forward you some further information.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 05:14 AM   #39
Stingray2
Rep

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Hi Guys,
Here's an update on my current situation.
My car went into my local BMW dealer on Wednesday 11th January for its 4 wheel alignment KDS check. The dealership then forwarded the result of this check to BMW along with the "PUMA" case. On Friday 13th January I received a call from the dealership saying the car was ready and they would explain the paperwork when I arrived.

Upon arrival I was shown the print out of all the alignment readings and was informed that there was an alignment problem. I was then charged £150 (after thay had tried to charge me £366 which I wasn't happy about!).

Having got home I looked at the paperwork and realised that the problem they had found was on the front wheels NOT the rear. The issues highlighted were as follows:

1) Cross Castor measured as +0°31' the target reading is 0°30

2) Cross Toe Out On Turns measured as +0°37' the target reading is 0°30

3) Cross Camber measured as +0°32 the target reading is 0°30

All other measurements fell within spec.

I contacted the dealership and argued that the issue they had found was not on the axle where the wear is. Also (I,m not an expert but have taken advice) the readings were only slightly out of spec (surely there should be some tolerence on the readings!).
However, they have told me they are only following BMW's advice and that as there is not an issue with the rear suspension then I need to replace the tyres and take the issue up with Goodyear. How's that for customer service

I have pushed the issue with the after sales manager and he has agreed to speak to BMW again on Monday/ Tuesday to see what they say, but I get the feeling that this is going to be an issue that they are aware of but are not going to want to admit to.

So once again I will have to wait for the outcome of these discussions.

Julian
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #40
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi Guys,
My car went into my local BMW dealer on Wednesday 11th January for its 4 wheel alignment KDS check. The dealership then forwarded the result of this check to BMW along with the "PUMA" case. On Friday 13th January I received a call from the dealership saying the car was ready and they would explain the paperwork when I arrived.

Upon arrival I was shown the print out of all the alignment readings and was informed that there was an alignment problem. I was then charged £150 (after thay had tried to charge me £366 which I wasn't happy about!).

Having got home I looked at the paperwork and realised that the problem they had found was on the front wheels NOT the rear. The issues highlighted were as follows:

I contacted the dealership and argued that the issue they had found was not on the axle where the wear is. Also (I,m not an expert but have taken advice) the readings were only slightly out of spec (surely there should be some tolerence on the readings!).
However, they have told me they are only following BMW's advice and that as there is not an issue with the rear suspension then I need to replace the tyres and take the issue up with Goodyear. How's that for customer service

I have pushed the issue with the after sales manager and he has agreed to speak to BMW again on Monday/ Tuesday to see what they say, but I get the feeling that this is going to be an issue that they are aware of but are not going to want to admit to.

Julian
Hi Julian

PM me with your contact details & I will forward you my case details. Perhaps that might help jog BMW customer services' memory...

Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #41
Stingray2
Rep

Quote:
Hi Julian

PM me with your contact details & I will forward you my case details. Perhaps that might help jog BMW customer services' memory...

Rob
Hi Rob,
Thanks for that.
This is my 5th post so hopefully I can now PM you.

Julian.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #42
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

PM sent
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #43
agar1958
Rep

Quote:
Hi John

Can you set your profile to receive Private Messages & I will forward you some further information.

Rob
Thanks Rob
I think need to do some posting to get into the PM system. i'll get my 12 year old to keep me in line.

John
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #44
agar1958
Rep

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Julian
i can see why you are annoyed with their customer service. Having dealt with my local dealership on a number of issues ther is a common theme.
Appreciate 0