2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Pulsation / Vibration when Braking

02-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Pulsation / Vibration when Braking

When I brake moderately at certain speeds I feel a pulsation / vibration in the pedal.

Mentioned it to the dealer and they said the rotors may be warped, but that they’re not covered under warranty if there’s any rust on them.

What does this mean? Is this a known problem? I brake normally and haven’t done anything to cause this.

Anyone know the best way to reproduce the problem? I'm scheduled to bring my car in today.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
MELLOWYELLOW06
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 & 2022 X& M50i

If it is on braking only then it is very likely your rotors are warped.

I dont understand the rust and warranty issue.
All of our brake rotors will get rust on them when parked and there is a lot of moisture.

Just drive around and step on brakes and the rust will go away.
You may want to take the wheels off and clean any rust off that you see
and look for some that you cant see and take it in for warranty.

If you changed the rims, pit the stockers on as well and see what they say.
Im sure they will try to get out of it any way they can.
      02-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

I had two sets of rear rotors on my 2011 535xi warp. I'm pretty sure it was because the dealer torques the hell out of the lug bolts when the car is serviced. I change the wheels/tires over myself each season and I torque the bolts to 95 lb-ft. One year after the winter, I could not get the lug bolts loose, the car was in for regular service earlier in the winter and the wheels were off at the dealer, so they must have put the bolts on with an impact gun without any care for the proper torque. Eventually with an electric impact gun, I was able to work the bolts loose. The rear brakes were pulsing by this time. I eventually took the car in the following fall and had the rear rotors replaced (not under warranty). When I got the car back, I was going to put my winter wheels/tires on, but I could not get the lug bolts off. I couldn't believe it. Second time in a row after visiting the dealer and they over torqued (by a lot) the lug bolts. Even my electric impact gun couldn't get them loose and this was the day after the rear brakes were replaced. So I went back to the dealer and complained, they sent out a mechanic who had to stand and bounce on a breaker bar to get the bolts loose. He agreed with me that they were way too tight. Very shortly after that, I noticed the rear brakes started to pulse again. I didn't complain because it was only a short time until my lease was up and I didn't feel like arguing with the service adviser that they damaged the rotors. I'm sure they wouldn't have owned up to it.So far my new 535xd with 6,000kms and no pulsing brakes, but then again, it hasn't been to the dealer yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIMAX View Post
I had two sets of rear rotors on my 2011 535xi warp. I'm pretty sure it was because the dealer torques the hell out of the lug bolts when the car is serviced. I change the wheels/tires over myself each season and I torque the bolts to 95 lb-ft. One year after the winter, I could not get the lug bolts loose, the car was in for regular service earlier in the winter and the wheels were off at the dealer, so they must have put the bolts on with an impact gun without any care for the proper torque. Eventually with an electric impact gun, I was able to work the bolts loose. The rear brakes were pulsing by this time. I eventually took the car in the following fall and had the rear rotors replaced (not under warranty). When I got the car back, I was going to put my winter wheels/tires on, but I could not get the lug bolts off. I couldn't believe it. Second time in a row after visiting the dealer and they over torqued (by a lot) the lug bolts. Even my electric impact gun couldn't get them loose and this was the day after the rear brakes were replaced. So I went back to the dealer and complained, they sent out a mechanic who had to stand and bounce on a breaker bar to get the bolts loose. He agreed with me that they were way too tight. Very shortly after that, I noticed the rear brakes started to pulse again. I didn't complain because it was only a short time until my lease was up and I didn't feel like arguing with the service adviser that they damaged the rotors. I'm sure they wouldn't have owned up to it.So far my new 535xd with 6,000kms and no pulsing brakes, but then again, it hasn't been to the dealer yet.
Sorry to hear, but that's crazy! :|

Why weren't they covered under warranty when replaced?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The first time they had been pulsing for some time and I couldn't be sure the reason was the over torqued bolts. The second time confirmed my suspicion, but as I said, it was only a few months from my lease end and it wasn't bad enough for me to give up my car for another day and try to convince the service adviser that it was their fault. I did not replace the rotors a second time, I just turned in the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The first time they had been pulsing for some time and I couldn't be sure the reason was the over torqued bolts. The second time confirmed my suspicion, but as I said, it was only a few months from my lease end and it wasn't bad enough for me to give up my car for another day and try to convince the service adviser that it was their fault. I did not replace the rotors a second time, I just turned in the car.
Thanks again for the detail.

But you paid for them out of pocket the first time?

Just wondering why they weren't covered under warranty...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, I paid for the rotors. Brakes parts that wear such as pads and rotors are not covered under warranty. They are covered under a special maintenance program which costs extra, I think about $2,500 - $3,000. In Canada, we are covered for only scheduled maintenance for the first 4 years of 80,000 km without additional fees.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I paid for the rotors. Brakes parts that wear such as pads and rotors are not covered under warranty. They are covered under a special maintenance program which costs extra, I think about $2,500 - $3,000. In Canada, we are covered for only scheduled maintenance for the first 4 years of 80,000 km without additional fees.
Oh; okay; got it; thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Thanks again for the detail.

But you paid for them out of pocket the first time?

Just wondering why they weren't covered under warranty...
Warranty is for defects.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
kthankzbye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i, 2020 G05 40i

Brakes and rotors are covered under the maintenance coverage. Not the warranty. I've got my brake pads changed and there was still squeaking and they changed my rotors.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

On average when have you guys had to change your brakes? My 335 went 6.5 years and almost 90k miles before I sold it... not a single brake replacement. Granted, I did a decent number of highway miles but plenty of city as well. I'm curious what I should expect with the 550. Brakes on my e46 were shot every 50k miles or so... decent highway driving again.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #12
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Also, if rotors are replaced, should pads be replaced as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #13
Akkord29
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, G20, E46

i went to the dealer last month and complained about a vibration from my rear rotors. They asked if I had left my car sitting for an extended period of time because there is rust on the rotors and BMW does not cover rust. I laughed because I've put 20k miles on the car in less than a year, no way near sitting idle. Plus it sits in a garage at work and at home. I did purchase my car used from Pittsburg so that is most likely where the rust started. The vibration is not too bad right now, I'm going to purchase some aftermarket rotors.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #14
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkord29 View Post
i went to the dealer last month and complained about a vibration from my rear rotors. They asked if I had left my car sitting for an extended period of time because there is rust on the rotors and BMW does not cover rust. I laughed because I've put 20k miles on the car in less than a year, no way near sitting idle. Plus it sits in a garage at work and at home. I did purchase my car used from Pittsburg so that is most likely where the rust started. The vibration is not too bad right now, I'm going to purchase some aftermarket rotors.
Thanks for your post.

How did you know that the vibration was coming from your rear rotors?

Is your car no longer covered under warranty or its maintenance plan?

Also, where was the rust on your rotors? Are they only concerned in the path of the pads?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #15
Akkord29
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, G20, E46

Having had rotors go bad on previous cars, I knew it was coming from the rear. I could feel it.
I am still under both the warranty and maintenance plan. They will change my pads but not the rotors.
They said the rust on the actual rotor itself, where the pad touches the rotor. I looked I didn't see it but then again I am biased that its not there or the real cause of the vibration.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #16
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkord29 View Post
Having had rotors go bad on previous cars, I knew it was coming from the rear. I could feel it.
I am still under both the warranty and maintenance plan. They will change my pads but not the rotors.
They said the rust on the actual rotor itself, where the pad touches the rotor. I looked I didn't see it but then again I am biased that its not there or the real cause of the vibration.
Thanks again!

Anything in particular I can try to feel for that's not too difficult to explain?

This is a terrible result for you and I'm not sure how rust on something built to be exposed to water is a way for them to evade replacement responsibility. :|
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #17
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If the steering wheel vibrates when braking, the front rotors are warped. If the steering wheel does not vibrate but you can feel it in the seat, the rears are warped. When braking, you can look at the empty passenger seat and see if the headrest is vibrating, a good indication that the rear rotors are warped. To your earlier question, yes if you replace the rotors, you should replace the pads. The issue of rust on the contact surface of the rotor is a bit strange, surface rust will be removed after you brake the first time. There has to be something seriously wrong with you brakes to have heavy rust that the pads don't remove on the contact surface of the rotor. If the callipers are working properly, and the pads are good, and you drive the car regularly, there shouldn't be any rust on the contact surfaces of the rotor.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #18
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If the steering wheel vibrates when braking, the front rotors are warped. If the steering wheel does not vibrate but you can feel it in the seat, the rears are warped. When braking, you can look at the empty passenger seat and see if the headrest is vibrating, a good indication that the rear rotors are warped. To your earlier question, yes if you replace the rotors, you should replace the pads. The issue of rust on the contact surface of the rotor is a bit strange, surface rust will be removed after you brake the first time. There has to be something seriously wrong with you brakes to have heavy rust that the pads don't remove on the contact surface of the rotor. If the callipers are working properly, and the pads are good, and you drive the car regularly, there shouldn't be any rust on the contact surfaces of the rotor.
Thanks for this GREAT info AVIMAX! More than anything else, the pulsation / vibration is felt in the pedal. Have to see what I see and feel with the steering wheel and seats. Otherwise, I don't see any rust on the brake pad path, just something mentioned briefly that caught me strange. Let's see what happens. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #19
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Dealer states they replaced the front pads and rotors.

Haven’t picked up the car yet, but hope it's fixed!
Appreciate 0