2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW Assist Enrollment Suspended on Cars 4+ Years Old!?

02-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #23
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscarlett View Post
While I agree that BMW should have better underpinning contracts, this is an issue with the cellular carrier they partner with. In Canada, I have just confirmed that the service will continue through and into 2017 and this issue does not affect Canadian cars.
Thanks for this update, and glad to hear you're still covered, but even if a carrier issue, these matters don't pop up overnight, as you grasp.

For those who aren't still covered, resolution is still necessary. At a minimum, the SOS button should be programmed / unlocked to dial 911 directly.

In lieu of removing services with no notice, this should've been done proactively, but now that there's a continuing lapse in coverage, it should be done as timely as possible.

Thanks again!

Last edited by dbs600; 02-22-2016 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 05:32 PM   #24
bscarlett
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi M-Sport

What is interesting here in Canada, my 2011 550 Assist subscription had lapsed for over a year and when I press the SOS button, it connects to 911 and not BMW assist.

2013 X5 5.0 Space Grey/Black, M-Sport, Premium Package, Technology Package, Comfort Access, Surround Cameras
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #25
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What is interesting here in Canada, my 2011 550 Assist subscription had lapsed for over a year and when I press the SOS button, it connects to 911 and not BMW assist.
Thanks for this info.

Unlike yours, my SOS button does nothing now.

Can you please call 911 again from the SOS button and ask the operator if they can locate you.

The SIM cards in our cars most likely have aGPS capability, so I wonder if a 911 operator would be able to track and locate our whereabouts.

Last edited by dbs600; 02-22-2016 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #26
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I have (allegedly until 11/20/17) BMW Assist and the BMW Remote App stopped working a bit ago (I don't remember the actual date) and when I send POI's to the car it says the POI was successfully sent but it seems to get lost in the Hz... BMW has also offered me a Connected Drive subscription for 2 years (which would be until 2/18) for $350ish. I have a MY2012...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 10:30 PM   #27
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

So is the expiration of access to the BMW Remote App driven by the in service/warranty date? I think mine is likely 10/2017. Or will access terminate as of 1/1/2017?

The send to vehicle is really the only thing I use, but it is tremendously helpful. Especially since the actual locate function in the Nav system is terrible.

Bill
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 11:04 PM   #28
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Bill View Post
The send to vehicle is really the only thing I use, but it is tremendously helpful. Especially since the actual locate function in the Nav system is terrible.

Bill
I used that a lot until it quit working...
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #29
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Can you please call 911 again from the SOS button and ask the operator if they can locate you.
That is an absolutely horrible idea. Why would you call an emergency phone number in a non-emergency and tie up the operator for something that isn't an emergency?

Its a 3G cell phone ... i'm sure they can triangulate the call if necessary
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 04:40 PM   #30
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
That is an absolutely horrible idea. Why would you call an emergency phone number in a non-emergency and tie up the operator for something that isn't an emergency?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. This would be a work around for cars that can't connect to BMW Assist anymore because BMW suspended same.

Would be used only in an emergency, where someone needs to be connected to a 911 operator; exactly the same thing BMW Assist would do if one was in an emergency...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #31
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.

Would be used only in an emergency, where someone needs to be connected to a 911 operator; exactly the same thing BMW Assist would do if one was in an emergency...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
There isn't a shread of ambiguity. Your request was damn clear. You have asked numerous people on several forums to make repeated manual connections to PSAP (911) call centers for "testing" purposes when they've accidentally discovered this temporary connectivity at their location.

Your car cannot use the onboard telematics/combox to connect directly to PSAP in your area because the 2G network has been dismantled by AT&T.

To consistently shriek at how you feel the loss of connectivity is a life safety issue yet are not willing to take pro-active measures to seek alternative solutions (HUM by Verizon - available at a store near you) other than BMW Assist as it was originally setup in your car should you find yourself in a situation where it's beneficial, and then convince others to make use of PSAP in non emergency situations is beyond reckless and hypocritical.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #32
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
There isn't a shread of ambiguity. Your request was damn clear. You have asked numerous people on several forums to make repeated manual connections to PSAP (911) call centers for "testing" purposes when they've accidentally discovered this temporary connectivity at their location.

Your car cannot use the onboard telematics/combox to connect directly to PSAP in your area because the 2G network has been dismantled by AT&T.

To consistently shriek at how you feel the loss of connectivity is a life safety issue yet are not willing to take pro-active measures to seek alternative solutions (HUM by Verizon - available at a store near you) other than BMW Assist as it was originally setup in your car should you find yourself in a situation where it's beneficial, and then convince others to make use of PSAP in non emergency situations is beyond reckless and hypocritical.
Ha(!); what's the problem buddy?

I must've struck a nerve - not sure why - but your fury is only entertaining at this point.

You're wrong as to why my SOS button doesn't dial 911. I'm also researching this in ways not yet discussed, which I'll share when I have answers.

If you're so bothered, unsubscribe from any offending threads. After all, this matter doesn't concern your numerous vehicles or 'self-preservation' abilities, as you so-righteously stated. So, good for you - job well done!

Keep complaining and being upset, or not, or take a f'n walk, but relax a bit?

Your choice, buddy. LOL.

Last edited by dbs600; 02-25-2016 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:00 PM   #33
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Called and spoke to the BMW "genius" hotline this afternoon to confirm most of what is already in this post. I will lose all assist/remote function this October, 4 years after my in-service date.

I talked to the guy for a bit and he was very apologetic. Evidently some owners have really unloaded on him about this issue.

Not too surprisingly, he has no information as to whether BMW is working toward a fix or whether any solution is likely to present itself.

What a bummer. I usually hang on to cars for quite some time and I like much about this car. But the tech is very much a part of that - send to car, traffic data and information and so much more. Maybe time to get a Cayman.
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 10:30 PM   #34
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Received a letter today from Infiniti regarding another vehicle we own. The Infiniti Connection will be affected by the "planned discontinuation of the 2G cellular network by our service provider, AT&T, after December 31, 2016, the 2G network will no longer be available and your vehicle will be unable to access Infiniti Connection features unless the telematics hardware in your vehicle is updated."

Infiniti then advises that we will need to have the TCU updated to access service and Infiniti "plans to cover a substantial portion of the parts and labor costs to install the updated hardware." Details to follow.

So Nissan/Infiniti saw fit to reach out to impacted owners and offer a solution and a willingness to shoulder some of the expense. The only way I learned BMW was going to be impacted was by reading this forum. Not a very favorable contrast.

I suppose it is possible that the Infiniti is a bit newer, so there are more options. But this is just a further irritant.

Bill
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #35
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Agreed, Boulder Bill. Thank you for the update.

Also wrong that BMW Assist was suspended a year early.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 05:29 AM   #36
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I wrote a whole thing on this along with the official bulletins from BMW.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1215687

2014 and newer model year vehicles with the NBT navigation system are based on 3G GSM technology. The NBT Evo platform in the 2016+ models are based on LTE systems so those technologies will be around for some time.

All the CCC and CIC navigation systems are based on CDMA or 2G GSM technologies (depending on generation) which are being shut down by their respective carriers.

BMW is working on a technical upgrade for those still under BMW-paid Assist contracts (contracts as part of new vehicle purchase or CPO purchases) and will release more information middle of the year. However, they haven't said anything about customers who are currently paying year-to-year for their service.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 05:31 AM   #37
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Bill View Post
Called and spoke to the BMW "genius" hotline this afternoon to confirm most of what is already in this post. I will lose all assist/remote function this October, 4 years after my in-service date.

I talked to the guy for a bit and he was very apologetic. Evidently some owners have really unloaded on him about this issue.

Not too surprisingly, he has no information as to whether BMW is working toward a fix or whether any solution is likely to present itself.

What a bummer. I usually hang on to cars for quite some time and I like much about this car. But the tech is very much a part of that - send to car, traffic data and information and so much more. Maybe time to get a Cayman.
Check the above post. Your Genius apparently doesn't read the dealership bulletins published on the dealership network. BMW is working on a technical update for vehicles. However, they currently only mention vehicles under a BMW-paid agreement (like new vehicle sales or CPO vehicle sales). They don't mention anything about customer-paid contracts on vehicles after the initial 4-year (or 6-year for CPO) BMW-paid agreement.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #38
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
While I agree that BMW should have better underpinning contracts, this is an issue with the cellular carrier they partner with. In Canada, I have just confirmed that the service will continue through and into 2017 and this issue does not affect Canadian cars.
Yet another reason to move to Canada.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 07:47 PM   #39
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbama85
Well this stinks.
What stinks is BMW's failure to fall on its sword here, offer a heartfelt apology and promise a retrofit for LTE within 6 months.

BMW now wants all to think Connected Drive is trivial and anyone complaining about no longer having access to BMW Google search and concierge are trivial.

Of course, this comes after BMW touted the value of current and future connected drive services---now, BMW will have us all think these services were worthless and trivial.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #40
cnkjr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

I'm new to this thread, having found it after I started getting a warning today that my emergency communication/SOS system wouldn't work in my 2011 535i. I surmise that the ATT network supporting the communication in my area has been terminated.

I am not happy with this or the lack of communication--especially since BMW happily took my money in September 2015 when I bought a 1 year service plan and certainly knew about the impending cut off then. But I can live with waiting.

What I don't want to live with is the constant warning that the system isn't working. It happens on every start up and leaves the warning triangle on my display. Does anyone know a way to cut that off?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 10:59 PM   #41
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quick update. Called BMWNA customer service today to register my dissatisfaction with the lack of support for the 2G com Box. He took down all of my information and then went about looking up my car to determine whether an upgrade (which does exist) was available. After all of that, it turns out that with the options my car was built with originally, I don't need anything. I will not lose support (which explains why I didn't receive a letter from BMW). October 2012 build date.

What a waste of time, though a good result.

Bill
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 07:27 AM   #42
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Which model car do you have - October 2012 build date? My guess is either a 5 series or AH model as those had NBT Nav in MY13.
      10-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #43
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

My car is affected. BMW has 3 options for those who are upset by this.

1. Retrofit kit for the new system
2. $300 accessories gift card for any BMW boutique dealer store
3. $200 BMW visa gift card.

Bmwassistoffer.com for more information.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #44
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Which model car do you have - October 2012 build date? My guess is either a 5 series or AH model as those had NBT Nav in MY13.
Yes, 2013 550.
Appreciate 0