2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK F11 Audio Upgrades

10-12-2016, 05:24 AM   #1
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
F11 Audio Upgrades

There's a few thread on this now, but rather than hijack someone else's thread, I'll do a new one.

I picked up my MY14 530d touring in the summer but unfortunately couldn't get one that had the HK stereo in time, not to worry I thought, I'll just upgrade it later. I did the Alpine upgrade in my old E91 and was impressed and assume that it's similar in the F11.

The car just has the base stereo with 4 speakers, 2 subs and no amp. Clearly the first issue is that the are no tweeters. I've ordered the tweeter covers straight from the dealers (£8 each) and will be looking to install the Focal IBMW-S component kit. Happy enough how to do that as it'll be as easy if not slightly easier than it was on the E91. This should hopefully address the lack of clarity in the current system. I may have to recode to HIFI as I believe the base stereo EQ bumps the treble to compensate for no tweeters - either that or I'll just turn down the treble on the I-drive.

Has anyone done just this with these speakers and left them amped off the head unit? With the current set up, I find that when you turn it up, it caps out at about 60-70% volume, seemingly cutting the power to stop clipping and distortion (or simply running out of power), and doesn't get any louder. At those volumes, the subs really lack punch too. Will changing the OEM fronts and adding tweeters help this? Are they any more sensitive than the oems and therefore free up a little more power for the subs?

The reason I ask is that I don't have the free cash to amp the system at the same time, so am starting with the speakers and will then looking at adding in an amp later.

Next stage - hopefully around xmas, which is where it's going to get a little more complicated is amplification. The old Alpine system was nice and simple. Simply tap into the lines to the sub/fronts, break them apart and run that back to the amp in the boot, then back to the sub and fronts individually. The loom and everything else was pre wired to make that nice and easy.

There's a point - has anyone tried to install the Alpine system in a 5 series?

My next thoughts are that I'll be looking at a JL Audio XD400/4 and amp the fronts and subs as per the alpine system, leaving the OEM rears still run off the head unit. Rather than wiring it all in myself and cutting wires, I might just order the technic cable that's designed to split the 2 channel head unit output into 4 channels for the fronts and subs to be amped separately. For the 2/4 cable, it doesn't need to go as far forward as the head unit, instead just tapping in at the subs.

My only fear about doing that is that I limit my future upgrade path to simply adding better speakers to the rear that I'd not be able to amp without having changing everything.

So to my main question - if I were to get a 700/5 amp and the technic 4/6 cable, I could then amp the rears and subs too, albeit with a bit more involved wiring having to run cables from the boot to the head unit. Would amping the rears really make that much of a difference? I've got to be honest, the audio is all about me and I don't see myself sitting in the back that often. I'd get a little better audio anyway by swapping out the rears for the Focal IFBMW-C kit at a later day if needs be - yes amping them would improve them but by how much.

Thoughts?
      10-12-2016, 08:17 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Welcome back.
Its been a long time since I read your post.

Ok few things;
1- Alpine kit can be fitted with modification. Wiring loom is not long enough and you will need to moduify it by extending it. I thought about it doing in my f10 but discarded the idea.
2- If you like treble, then focal kit is better. If you like neutral sound then gladen is better.
3- I have fitted gladen with with mosconi dsp amp in one of the f10. Sound was amazing. So that will be my recommendation.
4- I had audison bit one, two amps and gladen kit. Truly audiophile but not a lot of difference to option three.
5- Adding just focals will give your crisper treble but bass will go down as sensitivity of those drivers are less than bmw.
      10-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #3
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Cheers for your thoughts Sam, good to hear from you.

I think I'm going to abandon the Alpine route. Seems theres a new Alpine amp out for the F20/F30 but not listed for the F10.

I've got the Focals coming in the short term - I'll run them off the normal head unit initially until I can convince the Mrs to let me buy an amp. I was initially just going to amp the fronts and subs with a 4 channel amp, but I'm worried about losing volume on the rears or worse yet, losing my PDC sounds from the rears too. To that end, I'm thinking I might go for a 5 or 6 channel amp, code the head unit to HiFi and just amp everything. Now here's my new question

1. I understand that if I don't recode the head unit, I'm going to get a really treble heavy EQ which won't sound good with the tweeters installed. If I do code it without amping anything will everything be really quiet? I can always code it and see and if I don't like it code it back again.

2. Does coding to hifi change the output from high level to low level?

3. If so, does coding to hifi change the output signal from balanced differential to standard line or does it remain balanced diff but just a lower level?

4. If not and it's a line signal, then in theory I can just buy any old 6 channel amp, but if it stays balanced differential, then am I still going to need an amp that has accepts a balanced diff input? (Or get LOCs).
      10-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius
Cheers for your thoughts Sam, good to hear from you.

I think I'm going to abandon the Alpine route. Seems theres a new Alpine amp out for the F20/F30 but not listed for the F10.

I've got the Focals coming in the short term - I'll run them off the normal head unit initially until I can convince the Mrs to let me buy an amp. I was initially just going to amp the fronts and subs with a 4 channel amp, but I'm worried about losing volume on the rears or worse yet, losing my PDC sounds from the rears too. To that end, I'm thinking I might go for a 5 or 6 channel amp, code the head unit to HiFi and just amp everything. Now here's my new question

1. I understand that if I don't recode the head unit, I'm going to get a really treble heavy EQ which won't sound good with the tweeters installed. If I do code it without amping anything will everything be really quiet? I can always code it and see and if I don't like it code it back again.

2. Does coding to hifi change the output from high level to low level?

3. If so, does coding to hifi change the output signal from balanced differential to standard line or does it remain balanced diff but just a lower level?

4. If not and it's a line signal, then in theory I can just buy any old 6 channel amp, but if it stays balanced differential, then am I still going to need an amp that has accepts a balanced diff input? (Or get LOCs).
1- If you do not code then you end up with equalised sound getting amplified.
I would strongly suggest you to look into mosconi amp with dsp built in. You do not need to code it and you can tweak it to adjust the sound. 120.4 should be sufficient. Amplification of rear will not make much difference and when you reverse, you are not going to keep the music loud.
2- yes
3- still stays differential output from head unit but at a lower voltage.
4- LOC and standard amp will do. You loose sound quality from
Differential sound ---> LOC ---> standard signals ---> amplified ---> loosing some frequencies IMHO.

HTH
      10-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #5
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Interesting. Does the 120.4 work with differential inputs or would I still need LOCs?

How much do you lose on volume on the PDC? Is it only the rear PDC?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 04:01 PM   #6
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Ah wait, with no need to code, then it shouldn't affect the PDC. So it's all about if it takes BD input.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius
Ah wait, with no need to code, then it shouldn't affect the PDC. So it's all about if it takes BD input.
120.4 accepts differential input and no headache of coding or low pdc volume?
      10-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
It's on my wish list!

Thanks for the help mate.

Last question though - do you know what part numbers you used for the oem sub plugs and the plugs to go into the battery distribution box?
      10-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #9
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Hi Frobius

You may find that alliexpress is convenient for the subwoofer connectors.

I've certainly order the door speaker connecters from china as I could not bring myself to pay bmw prices.

If you look through the forums then you will be able to idenify them on allipress.

Here is a link

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-se...4-8c436677e57e

gtthree

Last edited by gtthree; 10-20-2016 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 05:37 AM   #10
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
It's on my wish list!

Thanks for the help mate.

Last question though - do you know what part numbers you used for the oem sub plugs and the plugs to go into the battery distribution box?
You can see the post above for the connectors.
You will have to use female connectors to make return loop as front speakers and under seats are connected parallel in configuration.

Male connectors are useless as you will have gladen aftermarket kit and any speaker cables from amp to underseat subs will do the job.

Re: Amp power connection, do not connect it to oem fuse box. Connect it directly to the battery which is in the boot floor.
Remote wire can be added to gladen quadlock as it has no remote out. If I remember correctly, its terminal 13 on the quadlock for remote out.
      10-24-2016, 05:44 AM   #11
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, I know about not going to the fuse box, but on top of the battery is the distribution block. I thought from your install, you had used the oem connectors and tapped into there? Or did you just bolt an o ring to the battery terminal?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #12
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
Yeah, I know about not going to the fuse box, but on top of the battery is the distribution block. I thought from your install, you had used the oem connectors and tapped into there? Or did you just bolt an o ring to the battery terminal?
That was on e90. On F10 all the tabs were used and no spare place to use oem connector.
      10-26-2016, 02:26 AM   #13
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Ah cool, must have read your old DIY!

Thanks again, Sam.
      05-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #14
zequim
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d f10

Hi!

I have a 520d with base stereo and planed to upgrade with focal amp and front speakers. Can you please tell me where to remote the amp? is there a remote on the HU?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0