2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Lumbar - Any Way To Decrease It (more than the button)?

10-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

F10 Lumbar - Any Way To Decrease It (more than the button)?

Good afternoon.

So I picked up my 535i, and I love it. There is just one small issue - I find the lumbar in the seats to be very uncomfortable and protruding. Now, I am very sensitive in the lumbar region, and I always like to minimize (or completely remove where possible) any lumbar pressure on my back.

My 535i has the four-way lumbar control. However, I honestly do not know how to use it properly. I am most comfortable when I hold the top button (or sometimes the bottom button) until I hear the hissing sound (so all of the air is decreasing from the bladder) - but I still think there is some residual air in the bladder.

Is there any way I can decrease, or remove the lumbar support? I would like the seat as concave as possible. Perhaps this might require some seat surgery...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
I believe that making the seat more upright is another way to minimize lumbar. Try changing the angles of the seat bottom and seat back to see if you change the way you sit in the seat to make it more comfortable for you.

Personally, I like lots of lumbar support. I had quite an issue with my VW Jetta seat because I feel it has very little lumbar support. Had to add a back support pad just to make the seat somewhat comfortable.

Check the user manual. The 4-way switch has two buttons that control how much lumbar there is and two buttons that change where the support is located. Don't remember which have which function.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep

No matter what I do, I find the lumbar support to be too protruding. I wonder if I can open the seat up and deflate the bladder in its entirety.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
iQuacker
Rep
Drives: 2012 535ix Space Gray

I had this issue too. You can improve matters if you press the button in the deflate direction while pressing your back hard into the bulge. More air will escape. Just release the button before you release your back and you should be all set.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitrasetMan
Good afternoon.

So I picked up my 535i, and I love it. There is just one small issue - I find the lumbar in the seats to be very uncomfortable and protruding. Now, I am very sensitive in the lumbar region, and I always like to minimize (or completely remove where possible) any lumbar pressure on my back.

My 535i has the four-way lumbar control. However, I honestly do not know how to use it properly. I am most comfortable when I hold the top button (or sometimes the bottom button) until I hear the hissing sound (so all of the air is decreasing from the bladder) - but I still think there is some residual air in the bladder.

Is there any way I can decrease, or remove the lumbar support? I would like the seat as concave as possible. Perhaps this might require some seat surgery...

Thanks!
It needs to break in. At night, expand the lumbar all the way (inflate) and let it stay like that. Then deflate before driving. After a month, it should loosen up that whole area so it's not so stiff.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
It needs to break in. At night, expand the lumbar all the way (inflate) and let it stay like that. Then deflate before driving. After a month, it should loosen up that whole area so it's not so stiff.
Really? Does this work? Has anyone else tried this?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
paulbazo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitrasetMan View Post
Really? Does this work? Has anyone else tried this?
Lumbar in my car is bad, do not know how to adjust, the arrows on the button do not seem correct, when I press up it comes out more, etc, is bad,
Appreciate 0