2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Off Topic: Audi R8 V10 Delivery Day

09-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #45
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10Enthusiast View Post
I know I'm not ezmaass but I would have a track day dedicated car (e.g. an Ariel Atom/BAC Mono/Caterham rXXX/Radical SR8). Perhaps a truck and a trailer (or just a trailer if the SUV has the towing capacity) for the car as well.
I think that sounds like as good an answer as any! The Ariel Atom looks like one hell of a fun ride! To be honest, though, I think it would scare the hell out of me to drive it aggressively on a track though - you're totally exposed and probably dead if you mess up.

A pick-up truck probably isn't a bad idea, either. I've never been big into trucks, but there's something to be said about them. Many times I've needed deliver on something that just wouldn't fit in the car (or even an SUV) that a pick-up would have solved.

Hell, I'm sure if we watch enough Top Gear, we can arrange a list of 50 cars that would make a good addition!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #46
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Haha - yeah, he's a contractor/builder, I think - don't let that fool you. Like most contractors, they keep the beat up trucks outside and the "good stuff" in the garage. He's actually very much into hot rods - came over nearly immediately yesterday when it came home to chat about it. I knew he wouldn't mind the sound of the engine since I've been listening to him working on chopped bikes, hot rods, and what-not for the past 5 years!

Plenty of expensive cars in the neighborhood (911s, BMWs, MBs, etc) - but only one other R8 in my town of about ~20k people (soon to be two according to my dealer - as another guy has one on order). The R8, while expensive for sure, looks a lot more expensive, I think, than what people imagine. There's a doctor who lives around the corner with an Aston Martin that rivals it in price, but somehow the R8 just looks much more flashy - lower slung, wider, mid-engine under glass, etc. So yes, I'm sure between the looks and the bright red color it'll make some people talk... but mainly the women who think it's a Ferrari.

Then head a few miles south from me, and you start hitting towns like Greenwich, CT - my R8 wouldn't get a second look there. Greenwhich Avenue (where all of the NYC 5th avenue retailers line the street) has its share of Ferraris, Lambos, Astons, Bentleys, etc on any given day.
Hey the car looks great. I'm a contractor too, and I live in Fairfield county CT in a place called Greenfield Hill. I'm sure you know where it is. Now that you have two nice cars, if you want a really nice, architecturally correct house to drive home to, send me a PM. We do really nice work... for all those folks that park their Bentleys and Aston Martins on Greenwich Ave.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 07:18 AM   #47
613Bimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: One car with good steering ;)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post

Hell, I'm sure if we watch enough Top Gear, we can arrange a list of 50 cars that would make a good addition!
That's right! POWEEERRRR!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #48
BrooklynG87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s REX  [10.00]
2021 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
2018 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M Compet ...  [10.00]
1999 BMW M3  [10.00]
Beautiful car. It is truly stunning. You really have a perfect stable of automobiles. And I too applaud your humility! Best of luck with it and drive it in good health!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #49
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Just need a classic American muscle car to finalise the collection
Appreciate 0