2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Windshield need replace

07-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #23
hmd5859
Rep
Drives: 535I

Go to Dealer!!

After having to deal with this out here in New Mexico, my strongest recommendation is to do yourself the favor and go to the dealer! I tried to be reasonable and try the cheap route by going to Safelite, The chip I had came out looking worst than when it went in. Again I wanted to be reasonable and try the insurance company fix.
After the non fix, and hearing from Safelite that the glass they had was not OEM, I decided to go with the dealer. Now I know everyone's opinion on car dealers, but in this case you really have to look at what you are dealing with. Its not a Ford or Chevy, it is a higher end auto despite what people's opinions are. Therefore I fully expect a certain level of professionalism from my dealer which they absolutely delivered.
This is the point, the insurance company wants you to go to the after market guys cause it saves them money. What I found out while my car was at the dealer was that another individual was there getting his glass replaced out of pocket because he went to the after market glass guys and was experiencing a very loud whistle/howling at high speed. Turns out that the glass that was replaced was not an exact fitment as the OEM glass. Of course the insurance company did not want to hear it so he had to pay out of pocket for the fix.
What I further found out was that even if I was a glutton for punishment and decided to let the after market glass guys do the fix, I was still going to have to go to the dealer and still pay out of pocket for the camera/sensors to be realigned. Another cost of about $200. So in I ended up after much arguing with the insurance company insisting that the dealer do the repair and I paid about $400 dollars out of pocket for the difference between what the insurance company was willing to pay and the dealer cost. For me I was extremely glad I did it, and I feel I avoided problems. My car was under warranty, and we all know that if a problem were to arise from lack of BMW standards, I would have voided the BMW warranty, and get stuck in the very same situation as the other gentlemen that was dealing with his glass repair on his 6 series. Just my two cents, I am sure there are rocket scientists out there that will give various other reasons or fault in logic, but it is something I feel made much more sense to do than subject myself to pain to save another insurance company cash. In the end they ended up paying the proper price for the glass and I paid for certain sealants and a little extra on labor that they felt they shouldn't pay. To top it all off, I got my car back in absolutely pristine condition, (Washed, waxed, oil changed, and they even replaced my front brakes cause it was coming close,) and I didn't even mind letting them hold on to it for a few days to ensure the sealants dried properly, and they did not feel rushed due to a lot of work in the shop. They put me in a 2015 6 series and let me check that ride out while they fixed my girl up. Complete thumbs up for BMW on this one. I hope all of my experiences turn out this way. My two cents folks....take it for whatever it is worth!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 12:27 AM   #24
spyroz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW f10 550i ///M Sport

I'm glad I don't have GEICO as insurance...