2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Rattling headrest on passenger seat

10-14-2016, 06:56 AM   #1
silverfox666
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Rattling headrest on passenger seat

Hi

Anyone else experience this in their F10? Mine's terrible.

I drive on fairly rough roads to be honest, and have an M sport on 20" runflats that won't help with ride - but I still wouldn't expect the seat back to shake like it does when no one is sat in it. This is supposed to be a premium car right?

I've read a bodge job to stuff the headrest with a rubber grommet of some kind, but does anyone know of a more permanent fix that still leaves the headrest able to be moved by the passenger.

I assume tightening the seat back is one way to go... but haven't seen any 'how to's on getting to the bolts that need tightening. It's the seat back that shakes - which then translates into the headrest.

Any ideas from someone who's as obsessed like me by squeaks and rattles?!

Cheers
      10-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
Herr Dreier
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G31 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox666 View Post
Hi

Anyone else experience this in their F10? Mine's terrible.

I drive on fairly rough roads to be honest, and have an M sport on 20" runflats that won't help with ride - but I still wouldn't expect the seat back to shake like it does when no one is sat in it. This is supposed to be a premium car right?

I've read a bodge job to stuff the headrest with a rubber grommet of some kind, but does anyone know of a more permanent fix that still leaves the headrest able to be moved by the passenger.

I assume tightening the seat back is one way to go... but haven't seen any 'how to's on getting to the bolts that need tightening. It's the seat back that shakes - which then translates into the headrest.

Any ideas from someone who's as obsessed like me by squeaks and rattles?!

Cheers
Are you sure it's the headrest? I thought mine did too until I realised it was the passenger seat belt tongue rattling between the seat and the B pillar. If you don't twist it around so it lays flat against the side, it quite easily gets stuck there and rattles.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
silverfox666
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
100% not the buckle, as the buckle does that too! It's simply the back of the seat rattling that sets off the headrest off.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
Jason49
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i

For the last 3 months I had a metallic sounding rattle coming from the passenger side. After reading thread after thread I convinced myself it was the seat back or the headrest because the sound would diminish greatly when someone was in the seat. Turns out it is the glovebox. I had the manual and a couple other things in there and when I take everything out and close the door, no more noise. I haven't had time to really dig into it, but the glovebox is empty and no noise. Now, if I could only figure out the rattle in the drivers side door I will be noise free!
Appreciate 0