2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum How Common is RWD?
View Poll Results: Do You Have RWD or xDrive
RWD 34 77.27%
xDrive 10 22.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

05-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #23
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
welcome to ontario! I am in toronto, have the same year car, same colour, just different engines
Different transmission too.
One of those photos is from Ontario, the other one is from Quebec.

Quote:
....yes, I 100% agree with you. RWD and winter tires is perfectly safe, reasonable, and actually quite alot of fun when getting around in the snow. I have 225/55/r17 yokohama ice guards all around got a great deal on them. I like how these tires do it all well - smooth in the dry, good enough in the rain, at the expense of very deep snow traction - it simply does it all well which is important for a winter tire since it does not always snow here. the ig52c tires have these little slush siping patterns - ridiculously good through slushy roads so much grip for 225 width tires. It's alot of fun!
My most recent experience is with Michelin X-Ice 2 and Dunlop 3D Winter Sport and both are excellent, but in my experience, nothing and I mean nothing comes anywhere close to Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 on snow and ice. I had them on other cars in the past (R version) and they are just stunning good and last very long time. They do get a bit noisy on dry and wet roads and aren't as good handling/performance tire as Dunlop but are incredible on snow and icy roads.

Quote:
I really hope you washed your car and got some window tints after taking that picture
Ha, well, I'm not sure I'm exactly nice to my cars during winter when it comes to washing and detailing. I'm quite strict about service intervals and interior is always impeccably clean, but given how cold it gets for weeks at the time where I live and how much I travel in the winter, exterior of the car gets a bit neglected every now and then. I mean, no point washing this.....

... at -20 Celsius, just to have it literally back to the same state 5 minutes after leaving car wash?

As for tints, I decided against them on this car.
It's usually the first thing I do when I get a new car, but this time good friend of mine, 3 series owner talked me out of it. His words "c'mon now, that's something 3 series owner would do , the car looks classy as is, just live with it for a month and if you still want to do it after, do it", and guess what, he was right. I actually like how it looks without tint.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #24
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Different transmission too.
One of those photos is from Ontario, the other one is from Quebec.

My most recent experience is with Michelin X-Ice 2 and Dunlop 3D Winter Sport and both are excellent, but in my experience, nothing and I mean nothing comes anywhere close to Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 on snow and ice. I had them on other cars in the past (R version) and they are just stunning good and last very long time. They do get a bit noisy on dry and wet roads and aren't as good handling/performance tire as Dunlop but are incredible on snow and icy roads.

Ha, well, I'm not sure I'm exactly nice to my cars during winter when it comes to washing and detailing. I'm quite strict about service intervals and interior is always impeccably clean, but given how cold it gets for weeks at the time where I live and how much I travel in the winter, exterior of the car gets a bit neglected every now and then. I mean, no point washing this.....

... at -20 Celsius, just to have it literally back to the same state 5 minutes after leaving car wash?

As for tints, I decided against them on this car.
It's usually the first thing I do when I get a new car, but this time good friend of mine, 3 series owner talked me out of it. His words "c'mon now, that's something 3 series owner would do , the car looks classy as is, just live with it for a month and if you still want to do it after, do it", and guess what, he was right. I actually like how it looks without tint.
the tints really cleaned up the look of the car. for me it was sort of a must because the beige leather looked funny showing through the windows. for you i guess its not such a big deal but it would still make the exterior look cleaner.

I have heard good things about the nokians would go for them next. what do you think of the ice guard ig52c?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #25
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
the tints really cleaned up the look of the car. for me it was sort of a must because the beige leather looked funny showing through the windows. for you i guess its not such a big deal but it would still make the exterior look cleaner.

I have heard good things about the nokians would go for them next. what do you think of the ice guard ig52c?
Yeah, tint is a matter of personal taste, like I said, I usually do it on my cars, though normally very light tint, but this time decided against it and haven't regretted it yet.

As for the tires, only Yokohama I ever had were summer tires, so I can't comment on those. I honestly haven't had any "really bad" winter tires myself. Most I think will be better than all season. It's just that these Nokians are defying what you think should be possible on snow covered roads. I had two sets of "R" model in the past on two different cars, and expected a lot out of new R2 model. I still got pleasantly surprised how good they are. Finns are known for their rally tradition and harsh winters, so, not that surprising I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #26
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, tint is a matter of personal taste, like I said, I usually do it on my cars, though normally very light tint, but this time decided against it and haven't regretted it yet.

As for the tires, only Yokohama I ever had were summer tires, so I can't comment on those. I honestly haven't had any "really bad" winter tires myself. Most I think will be better than all season. It's just that these Nokians are defying what you think should be possible on snow covered roads. I had two sets of "R" model in the past on two different cars, and expected a lot out of new R2 model. I still got pleasantly surprised how good they are. Finns are known for their rally tradition and harsh winters, so, not that surprising I suppose.
my friend has nokians - they're very good in the snow. I just like how yoko balanced everything out a little better with these tires, better all round performance in the dry and wet compared to the nokians.

either way I am not complaining, got almost new yoko winter tires for $450.

how do the yoko summers compare to pilot super sports? I have pss rubber on my style 269 rims.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #27
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:

just to give you an idea why I went with window tints... I think my car needed them because of the beige leather. what do you think?

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #28
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
xDrive here. I had the option of buying both and leaving in the PNW I'd figured xDrive was worth having.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #29
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Xdrive but I get snow and ice for 4 months so while RWD is fine and I manged in a Z Coupe for 3 years Ive had enough of fun and went full traction now. Its nice... But its my first xdrive after 11 years in rwd BMWs.
      05-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #30
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Living in the snowbelt snow tires are a must imo.

I've done the RWD with Snows many times. I'd take that over xDrive and All Season Tires.

But I've settled into the sweet spot for me; xDrive and Snows in winter and all season tires the other 3 seasons. F'10 xDrive and good snow tires is like an Abrahams tank traction wise in snow. ITs awesome.
      05-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #31
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest 535i View Post

I've done the RWD with Snows many times. I'd take that over xDrive and All Season Tires.

But I've settled into the sweet spot for me; xDrive and Snows in winter and all season tires the other 3 seasons. F'10 xDrive and good snow tires is like an Abrahams tank traction wise in snow. ITs awesome.
thats the best way to describe it. the F10 is a tank in the snow even with RWD... the faster you go the harder the tires grip.

and yes, always get winter tires if your commute involves more then a couple snow falls!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 01:53 AM   #32
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest 535i View Post

I completely agree. I have also owned and driven many RWD cars in snow with snow tires. My xDrive and Nokian Hakkapeliittas make an unstoppable combination in deep snow that exceeds any RWD or FWD traction I've experienced in winter. For the other three seasons, I'm on Michelin PSS, and this combined with the DHP make handling quite respectable. Is RWD more fun outside of winter? Yes. Is RWD with snow tires effective? Yes. Nevertheless, xDrive with the right tires and suspension is also the sweet spot for my year-round driving requirements.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #33
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i MSport

Wow, this poll result is surprising. I would have guessed there were a lot more X-Drives.
Appreciate 1
STR8-6IX536.00