2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Ownership time of f10

04-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #23
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
Hi chaps

I was just curious and interested in other members view of how long they intend to keep their f10. More especially since the arrival of the new 5er.

As members may have leased or purchased, ownership length will vary but those who have bought or will end up buying would love to hear your thoughts.

Mine is a 2011. Plan to keep it at least ten years. Have 39k miles on the clock and the spec I will ever need. I know selling it now I will not get much for it and know I can't buy what I'd like for that money I'd get. And I don't want to add any extra money on top.

I'd love to get 100,000 or 15 years out of it the most.

Regards
Sp
How did you manage 39000 miles on a 6 year old car. That is an average of 5,580miles per annum? My F10 did that in less than 2 year
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #24
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi babaikram

We were looking at a new car for me and my wife at the time with the potential of being used for a first family car as well. The car was intended to be used by my wife Monday to Friday commuting to work as she does mainly dual carriageway driving and i do city driving to work. And then for me to drive when we are out on the weekends round town or out of town. The car was averaging 8k a year and then that average became about 3k a year for one year when my wife was off on maternity leave. We looked at many different cars and types of cars both petrol, diesel, two- door, five-door convertible, 4x4, saloon and lots of different engine sizes and honestly in the end chose the 5 series. I believe in the real world for the two of us at the time and a year later with the arrival of our first child the car is perfect for every purpose we needed it for. We have a second child now and it is still brilliant for our needs on a day to day basis. At times of travelling with lots of luggage etc a 4x4 would be great but day to day this is perfect and I believe the 5 series is a good all round car in general and not just in its class.

I wish I did put more mileage on the car so I feel I have got my money's worth from it and got good use out of it but due to the current standing it's not doing much mileage. I know the purpose of having a diesel is to do 12k+ miles a year long journeys but for even when we did 8k I loved not having to fill it every two weeks like my petrol 3.2. I really wouldn't mind keeping the car till 2025 if it's still working brilliantly.

Sorry for the long message
Sp
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #25
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Hi babaikram

We were looking at a new car for me and my wife at the time with the potential of being used for a first family car as well. The car was intended to be used by my wife Monday to Friday commuting to work as she does mainly dual carriageway driving and i do city driving to work. And then for me to drive when we are out on the weekends round town or out of town. The car was averaging 8k a year and then that average became about 3k a year for one year when my wife was off on maternity leave. We looked at many different cars and types of cars both petrol, diesel, two- door, five-door convertible, 4x4, saloon and lots of different engine sizes and honestly in the end chose the 5 series. I believe in the real world for the two of us at the time and a year later with the arrival of our first child the car is perfect for every purpose we needed it for. We have a second child now and it is still brilliant for our needs on a day to day basis. At times of travelling with lots of luggage etc a 4x4 would be great but day to day this is perfect and I believe the 5 series is a good all round car in general and not just in its class.

I wish I did put more mileage on the car so I feel I have got my money's worth from it and got good use out of it but due to the current standing it's not doing much mileage. I know the purpose of having a diesel is to do 12k+ miles a year long journeys but for even when we did 8k I loved not having to fill it every two weeks like my petrol 3.2. I really wouldn't mind keeping the car till 2025 if it's still working brilliantly.

Sorry for the long message
Sp
Thank you for your reply. i had the same intention for my 2011 F10 before changing to G30 after it had reached 100,000 miles. It was a good decision as he developed the dreaded timing chain sounds some months before getting a cash back on it.

I intend to keep my G30 till the next generation of 5 series in 7 years time as far as the climate for diesel cars is not too adversarial in UK by then. I have been looking for ways of reducing mileage i put on it (I do close to 20,000 to 25,0000 a year even though my wife has her own car). I am thinking of getting a second smaller petrol car to reduce the mileage on the G30.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 03:25 AM   #26
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Hi John thanks for replying

I totally agree with you!

We look after our cars keeping them mint and the stealers don't care. I always feel who ever buys the car next will have a very decent car but the number they come out with at trade in time is just ridiculous.

Hence when I started this thread I've come to unless buying new you don't know what type of car your buying and how it was looked after. As the dealers just spruce them up again and rest to sell.
Your car with individual paint and leather is rare on a m5 let alone on a non m car. It's a keeper in my eyes. M3 cp well that's another story ?
Best offer today on PX for a M3 CP was £32K that was Sytner Tamworth.
That's a big loss even on a high discount car.
They really want it both ways.
      04-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #27
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
As your current car is a "keeper"... won't be an issue will it?

John, you will have to stop looking, it's a very expensive pastime.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #28
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
As your current car is a "keeper"... won't be an issue will it?

John, you will have to stop looking, it's a very expensive pastime.
Just put a deposit on a New M3 CP. , must be mad.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #29
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi John thanks for replying

I totally agree with you!

We look after our cars keeping them mint and the stealers don't care. I always feel who ever buys the car next will have a very decent car but the number they come out with at trade in time is just ridiculous.

Hence when I started this thread I've come to unless buying new you don't know what type of car your buying and how it was looked after. As the dealers just spruce them up again and rest to sell.
Your car with individual paint and leather is rare on a m5 let alone on a non m car. It's a keeper in my eyes. M3 cp well that's another story ?
Hi John

Your car is literally an Individual car. Colour interior and spec. Also with very nominal use and ultra high care after purchasing. It winds me up when the dealers come out with a ridiculous value at trade in. Especially when you looked after it very well.

They always give us a low value and put it up for the highest value. The person who buys your car will be laughing with the spec and condition of it. Obviously you have bought a very good car in return and you're happy so in the grand scheme of things that's the main thing. And as highland Pete said this is becoming a very expensive pastime. However as your screen motto states: live for today. So in the grand scheme of things it is all good. Well done!
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #30
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Just put a deposit on a New M3 CP. , must be mad.
Wow to lose circa £13k in 6 months is going some, hope the M3 lasts a little bit longer
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #31
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

When you part chop at a BMW dealer they want to offer you trade for yours plus premium for theirs. You are on a hiding to nothing and to "keep up with the Jones's" at this level of car ownership is Abramovich level expensive.

If you have a car that is in great nick and loaded with toys it is financial suicide to keep swapping and changing. Years 2 and 3 you take a pounding.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #32
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi John

Your car is literally an Individual car. Colour interior and spec. Also with very nominal use and ultra high care after purchasing. It winds me up when the dealers come out with a ridiculous value at trade in. Especially when you looked after it very well.

They always give us a low value and put it up for the highest value. The person who buys your car will be laughing with the spec and condition of it. Obviously you have bought a very good car in return and you're happy so in the grand scheme of things that's the main thing. And as highland Pete said this is becoming a very expensive pastime. However as your screen motto states: live for today. So in the grand scheme of things it is all good. Well done!
I did get to be fair 10K off listed on the road price, but should have done better.
You are going to take a big hit in the first 18 months regardless of how they manipulate the figures.
I hope i keep this one a bit longer.
However life is short so?..........................
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #33
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

Quote:
I did get to be fair 10K off listed on the road price, but should have done better.
You are going to take a big hit in the first 18 months regardless of how they manipulate the figures.
I hope i keep this one a bit longer.
However life is short so?..........................
I hope to keep mine until it is about five years old, maybe six. I have £7200 a year to play with to budget for my vehicle. If I sell now I take a pounding and lose £16000 in less than two years. Depreciation levels off a bit in years 4,5,6 so eases the cost of ownership somewhat, though have to take extended warranty costs into consideration.
As someone before said, there are a ton of 2005 plate 5 series about that are in fabulous condition. My car is so lovely, in such great condition and loaded with so many features it is not worth the massive costs to "keep current".
My 2 penneth....

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 04:52 AM   #34
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
I hope to keep mine until it is about five years old, maybe six. I have £7200 a year to play with to budget for my vehicle. If I sell now I take a pounding and lose £16000 in less than two years. Depreciation levels off a bit in years 4,5,6 so eases the cost of ownership somewhat, though have to take extended warranty costs into consideration.
As someone before said, there are a ton of 2005 plate 5 series about that are in fabulous condition. My car is so lovely, in such great condition and loaded with so many features it is not worth the massive costs to "keep current".
My 2 penneth....
I agree, also, what is keep current? I don't know about others on here, but I would say I am pretty observant when it comes to my BMW's, and personally the G30 vs F10, you have to really know your onions to tell the difference, hence me saving a fortune and buying another F10, 535d this time, rather than an extra £22k just to get a G30 530d as the 535d is not available yet, seems like a bit of a no brainer to me...
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #35
bd250
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport+, Sophistico

My 14 plate F10 has 52k on the clock now. Im pretty happy with the spec comfort and economy. My plan is to re-evaluate at around 100k and see whats out there. Personal circumstances may have changed a lot by then and I may keep it to 150k. When I looked around recently theres not many better all-round cars out there than the F10. The G30 is an evolution, but given the depreciation on mine and lack of discounts on the G30, it was an expensive proposition, which just didn't seem worth it.

Ideally the next car would be an M5/M6GC/MacanGTS/Panamera Turbo, so highly likely to be a petrol powered depreciation nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #36
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Just thought you guys MAY like the looks of my new M3 CP
here: http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=175486

Best Regards to all. enjoy your cars.
      04-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #37
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

Very nice indeed. I've always bought powerful saloons and think coupes are feminine so I'd take yours over an M4 any day.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 03:45 PM   #38
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
Very nice indeed. I've always bought powerful saloons and think coupes are feminine so I'd take yours over an M4 any day.
Thanks.
I love it so far.
      05-01-2017, 03:07 AM   #39
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
Thanks.
I love it so far.
Hi John make sure you still stay in touch on this forum too.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #40
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Quote:
Thanks.
I love it so far.
What did you do with the F10 in the end? I did like yours.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #41
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi John make sure you still stay in touch on this forum too.
Will do.
      05-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #42
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Good topic. Something I'm thinking about in slow time.

Mine will be 6-years old in July, but at only 40k miles and running an extended warranty, (next service in July, still in the service package), makes no sense to change 'yet'.
How did you manage to keep the service package beyond 5 years? My last one expired on the time element when it hit 5 years old even though it was well under the mileage limit, which was frustrating. The pre 13 service pack was 5 years/60k miles.

I kept my first F10, a 2010 530d SE, for about 2 years before trading in it for what I'd always wanted in the first place - an LCI M Sport. Ended up going newer than I expected after getting sick of spending months looking for a nice 3-4 year old example, and as a result I'll likely keep it longer.

It went for its first service last month and I had a G30 for the day. I had high hopes but perhaps my expectations were too high as I didn't finish the day looking for excuses to change. A G30 will be next for sure, but I'm happy to wait for a used LCI in some years to come.
      05-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #43
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox530 View Post
How did you manage to keep the service package beyond 5 years? My last one expired on the time element when it hit 5 years old even though it was well under the mileage limit, which was frustrating. The pre 13 service pack was 5 years/60k miles.
I bought mine at just over a year old. There was a mechanical issue with the car which involved its history with BMW UK. They sweetened the deal by adding a 5-year service pack, which takes me through the service requirements this July.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #44
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danorman777 View Post
What did you do with the F10 in the end? I did like yours.
I PXed it TBH. Sorry it took so long to reply.