2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2014 LCI 535 M Sport vs 2014 A6 S-Line

06-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
Kre62
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 435GC

2014 LCI 535 M Sport vs 2014 A6 S-Line

I went and test drove, back to back, these two cars today, and wanted to provide my feedback on the differences between the two cars.

First, I did this because I cant find an actual review where the LCI with 704 M Suspension was actually tested. The closest thing was a Car and Driver compare where the Audi won and the BMW came in last. However, the car they tested was an xDrive, so it didn't have the new suspension.

To start out, let me compare the handling of the two cars. I am coming from a 335i coupe, e92. I had a loaner 5 series once with luxury package, so am familiar with how soft the normal suspension is. I felt that in sport+ mode, the steering was much quicker and overall the new suspension is much sportier. Theres still a hint of softness to the ride, but I'd say its much closer to what I'd expect from BMW. The Audi felt much smaller than the 5, both inside and out. The one I tested also had 20" wheels. Overall, the handling is a bit tighter on the Audi and the ride a bit stiffer, but it wasn't a blowout like I was expecting. The engine was more responsive on the Audi, probably because it was supercharged vs turbo. Overall, the 5 is a bit more comfortable, and the Audi a bit more sporty, but the gap has closed considerably.

Next, fit and finish. This is one where I expected the Audi to really shine. I must say, that with the tweaks to the interior on the 5 and the M sport steering wheel, the 5 interior absolutely decimates the Audi. I felt like the Audi interior was significantly underwhelming. I didn't think I was in a 60K car for sure, more like 35k or so. The 5 interior is just in another class. From an exterior styling perspective, I felt the Audi was boring and super understated. I also couldn't tell the difference between any of the audis, they all have the same boring look. So exterior styling also easily goes to the LCI 535i.

Overall I'd say that the Audi does drive slightly better than the BMW, but that's it. Everything else is far behind.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I agree whole heartedly regarding the interior. Those who still think Audi has BMW beat with interiors obviously have not been inside a well equipped F10.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 06-07-2014 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

The F10 interior is essentially a "baby 7" - much of it is literally borrowed from a 6-figure big brother. The last generation 5 had a lot more in common with the 3, in my opinion - but the current 5 has much more in common with the 7.

The also continues "under the covers" where the chassis of the 5 is directly shared with the 7 and also a Rolls Royce Ghost... which explains how insulated, quiet, and refined it is... just truly makes the car feel like a much more expensive machine. Yes, it gave up a bit of the "raw" sport feel to accomplish this, but it's still plenty, plenty capable. You won't notice it on a test drive (most of us are too civilized to drive like we otherwise would without the CA in the car)... but as an owner show regularly pushes this car on the road, I'll tell you that it's deceiving... there's much more capability there than people give it credit for, I think.

Audi is a step behind BMW on refinement - also technology. And quite honestly, where I thought they shined the most - Quattro - I've come to be disappointed. My wife's Q5 is far less impressive in the snow than my 550xi... I'll even go so far to say that my old RWD e90 335i felt more sure-footed in the snow with proper tires than the Q5... sad, and amazing, but honest-to-goodness truth.

The only product I'd consider buying from Audi right now is the R8... and even there, I'm utterly disappointed with the lack of technology. It's 2014 and the R8 has no keyless entry, no push button ignition, no streaming bluetooth music, etc, etc. It's still a magnificent machine, but it's pretty embarrassing that Audi hasn't get their flagship supercar properly updated with technology found on $20k economy cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
EmArAsOnS
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: LCI F11 MSport Xdrive (I.Blue)

Garage List
Literally did the same and test drove both back to back (avant and touring in my case) on three occasions.
Had a bmw back in 94 then an Audi owner since 98 and last one on the long list was an S4 B5 so I thought the A6 would be an obvious/logical choice but the A6 felt soulless and cold compared to the F11...(steering feel on the A6 is just horrific period).
Always thought that the Audi interior was in a different league (way better) back in the days but i guess having too many buttons around was a thing in the past (200x's?)
The f11 interior is just fabulous . (Way better than the avant)

Understeer guaranteed....Audi (Quattro and of course without introduction fwd/ff)
XDrive .... Love it (at least until tested in 20-25 cm of snow).
      06-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

First of all, Audi A6 haven't made a s-line option on the A6 since 2011. Secondly, car magazines test drive the cars much harder than one would during a test drive. I had a A6 and now drives a F10. I agree with much of what the OP said. Both cars are very similar, I don't think one car will blow another car away. Like the OP said, the Audi is sportier and the F10 have a better interior, that much we all agree on. The similarity of the Audi lineup is also reflected in the BMW lineup as well. Its a hard to tell a 3 series from a 5 and 7 these days.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
Black5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
First of all, Audi A6 haven't made a s-line option on the A6 since 2011. Secondly, car magazines test drive the cars much harder than one would during a test drive. I had a A6 and now drives a F10. I agree with much of what the OP said. Both cars are very similar, I don't think one car will blow another car away. Like the OP said, the Audi is sportier and the F10 have a better interior, that much we all agree on. The similarity of the Audi lineup is also reflected in the BMW lineup as well. Its a hard to tell a 3 series from a 5 and 7 these days.
+1 I have a hard time telling between bmw 3 and 5 series from behind until I get close enough to see the badge
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Kre62
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 435GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Call it S line, call it sport, whatever. It had the sport package and the Black optics package. My point was that it was a valid comparison, and I didn't test the A6 with the non-sport suspension.
Appreciate 0