2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW unveils single turbo N55 six-cylinder engine for new 5-series GT

05-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
darknightohio
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

BMW unveils single turbo N55 six-cylinder engine for new 5-series GT

Name:  n55b30-2.jpg
Views: 24446
Size:  31.1 KB

Name:  n55b30-3.jpg
Views: 26230
Size:  29.1 KB

BMW's latest engine dubbed the N55 is a twin scroll single turbo engine which boasts 306HP and 400Nm of torque out of a 3.0 litre inline 6 cylinder engine. Sound familiar? Yup this is a similar amount of power from the N54 of 335i/135i fame, but now using the new twin-scroll technology BMW can achieve this power from the use of only one turbo.

This is not simply a more efficient engine, but it achieves the similar amount of power with quicker throttle response and max power lower in the rev range (1200rpm).

What is twin-scroll?

Dual side by side exhaust inlets feed into a single housing in this setup. Because there are now two exhaust inlets being fed into the housing the exhaust channel can be smaller given more precise control of the velocity of air flow.

Valvetronic -- finally

Yes valvetronic is back in BMW engines again, due to technical reasons the engineers weren't able to use valvetronic correctly with the N54 but have finally overcome whatever obstacles were in their way and now it returns to the N55 with direct injection.

This engine is making its debut on the 535i GT but as in BMW fashion will likely filter down the range and take its place in the 135i, 335i, 535i, 735i, etc..

Quote:
BMW’s current N54 series straight-six engine is one of the most praised engines in the industry today, having taken out the coveted International Engine of the Year award last year and appearing in a vast array of BMW models. With the unveiling of the new 5-series GT last week, BMW has announced a new variation of the 3.0L engine which will debut in the crossover at the end of the year.

The N54 features a twin-turbocharging system, as well as direct-fuel injection and BMW’s own Valvetronic technology, and in its most potent configuration develops up to 326hp (243kW) at 5,800rpm and 332lb-ft (450Nm) of torque from as low as 1,500rpm. BMW’s new variation on the engine, labeled the N55, is based on the same basic engine block and valve system but only sports a single turbocharger. It is the world’s first engine to combine turbocharging, direct fuel injection and fully variable Valvetronic valve management developed by BMW.

Peak output is still a healthy 306hp (225kW) at 5,800rpm and 295lb-ft (400Nm) of torque from an even lower 1,200rpm. Furthermore, the new N55 is also said to be more fuel-efficient than the N54 though no independent test results have been produced.

As previously mentioned, the N55 engine will debut in the 535i 5-series GT along with an eight-speed automatic transmission. This model will be able to accelerate from 0-100km/h in around 6.3 seconds and is rated at 26mpg (9L/100km) in fuel economy.
http://www.motorauthority.com/bmw-un...series-gt.html
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

wow, intereting torque beast, must have a small impeller and prob does not rev that high hense teh peak hp 5800 rpm

Good for a family car like the GT

Look forward to more details
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Yep, good for family cars and SUV's, CUV's
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Good for little old ladies and the like.
      05-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

New fuel pump?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Excitmnt94
Detailer & Fitness Freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i ///M Sport Coupe

8-speed auto? *sigh* who the #$%^& needs 8 forward gears?

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Sounds good!

You know what sounds better though?

TWIN-Turbo
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

so cool!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

why the n54 picture?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
McReary
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

al gore will be unsatisfied.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Here are some images from my flickr account- sorry they are not full res, I made them too small and have not had a chance to fix them.

This motor (N55) will NOT be replacing the N54. It will not be part of the initial launch of the GT in the US. There will be no TWIN POWER name in the US- THANK goodness as that is the cheeziest- name ever ( EU Only will see that naming).... US will remain as BMW POWER or M POWER ONLY; no stupid tag lines.

Like we have been saying for months; BMW will be releasing several new motors using twin scroll chargers (next step in Efficient dynamics). Everything I hear points to a US launch in the last model to receive a turbo engine (outside the ///M)- I am sure you all know what that is!

There is also a power bump coming to another motor in the future as well....

Lots of new stuff in the works; it is a great time for us enthusiasts; and me being the only one who like the 5er GT (it looks better in person).

05-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #12
tpipta
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

looks like a decent sized compressor housing.
      05-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #13
ik999
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f32 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
wow, intereting torque beast, must have a small impeller and prob does not rev that high hense teh peak hp 5800 rpm

Good for a family car like the GT

Look forward to more details

n54's peak power is also at 5800rpm
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #14
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

will still take the TWIN turbo n54 over it in a heart beat.
      05-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #15
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Ultimately, this lowers the cost of the engine. Valvetronic is sort of a bittersweet addition. Amazing technology for sure but it is a pain in the ass for tuners to work with. Valvetronic is solely responsible for tuners never touching the existing 550i, 650i, and 750i (now replaced).

The 8 speed from ZF is a work of art. See these articles on GCC:
ZF Develops 8 Speed Automatic
New Hydraulic Oil Element

The 8 speed will shift faster AND be more efficient AND it allow for skipping gears. Thus, in theory, you could be cruising along in 7th and drop it directly to 2nd for an overtaking maneuver.

Anyone else think that the piping (DP?) from the turbo to the catalyst looks RIDICULOUSLY small?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #16
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
Sounds good!

You know what sounds better though?

TWIN-Turbo
That is so 1990's. Nowadays we say "biturbo."

I wonder what kinda power that twin-scroll (biscroll?) motor will make with a tune?
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #17
kooper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 (I wish)

Hopefully with BMW bringing out more of these sweet turboed inline 6s, that means the V6 M3 rumor is nothing more than just that. Rumors.

Maybe this is a good time to share what I've read in a local magazine recently:

Apparently, possible collaborations (very hush-hush) are being discussed between Merc and BMW. Up to the point of them sharing chassis for the next 3 & C, 5 (6) & E (CLS), Mini & A/B and X5 & ML/ X3 & GLK. Probably more like the Z4 & SLK, SL & Z-who-knows-what. Apparently the suits at Munich and Stuttgart are aiming for the same platform sharing efficiency that VW has with its Golf/ Leon/ A3 and every other platforms they share.

Part of this involves them sharing the same engine blocks with different heads, turbos, gearboxes and suspension bits. Now that involves them having to decide whether to go V6 or inline 6 (and no prizes which one I'll be rooting for if any of this turns out to be true...).

That's the first hurdle. The second one (and it's a big one) is the Quandt family controlling BMW (who cannot stop this from going ahead on their own) will not bite. They're highly secretive, and they've made it known on more than one occasion that they want BMW to remain independent.

Another snag is even if these two do team up as some sort of not-merged-but-working-as-one deal, they're still nowhere near what the pundits consider the absolute minimum of 5 million units per year figure. Which means if they do team up, they'll need to team up yet again with another manufacturer who has a larger footprint in the volume markets.

Someone like PSA for instance... BMW and PSA already have engine-deals, which makes PSA a candidate. Problem here is that the current head of PSA was once at Airbus, who Daimler once not too long ago was very much interested in buying a piece of. PSA's current head didn't make that possible.

The magazine made mention of Honda, which doesn't sound too bad - if all this teaming up is inevitable of course -, as they are engineering driven (very good thing) and are globally represented (making up the volumes).

Now this all sounds very peachy, but my problem is this:

VW may be masters at the same-buns-and-meat-different-burgers manufacturing, but to me at least there's very little that distinguishes a Golf from a Leon from even an A3, bar some bells and whistles.

The other big thing is that it's only a matter of time before one company gobbles up the other. Let's face it, Daimler has the bigger wallet at the end of the day...

Some more puzzles: The 1 Series wouldn't fit in the grand plan so chances are that it'll go FWD in the generation after the one that's still to be released (gasp).

But, as they say, que sera sera.

EDIT: Oh yes, I forgot to mention that (again, apparently) the 7 and S as well as RR and Maybach will not be sharing anything, apart from between the 7/ RR and the S/ Maybach.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #18
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitmnt94 View Post
8-speed auto? *sigh* who the #$%^& needs 8 forward gears?
What, you didn't know that the more gears your car has, the cooler you are?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #19
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooper View Post
Hopefully with BMW bringing out more of these sweet turboed inline 6s, that means the V6 M3 rumor is nothing more than just that. Rumors.

Maybe this is a good time to share what I've read in a local magazine recently:

Apparently, possible collaborations (very hush-hush) are being discussed between Merc and BMW. Up to the point of them sharing chassis for the next 3 & C, 5 (6) & E (CLS), Mini & A/B and X5 & ML/ X3 & GLK. Probably more like the Z4 & SLK, SL & Z-who-knows-what. Apparently the suits at Munich and Stuttgart are aiming for the same platform sharing efficiency that VW has with its Golf/ Leon/ A3 and every other platforms they share.

Part of this involves them sharing the same engine blocks with different heads, turbos, gearboxes and suspension bits. Now that involves them having to decide whether to go V6 or inline 6 (and no prizes which one I'll be rooting for if any of this turns out to be true...).

That's the first hurdle. The second one (and it's a big one) is the Quandt family controlling BMW (who cannot stop this from going ahead on their own) will not bite. They're highly secretive, and they've made it known on more than one occasion that they want BMW to remain independent.

Another snag is even if these two do team up as some sort of not-merged-but-working-as-one deal, they're still nowhere near what the pundits consider the absolute minimum of 5 million units per year figure. Which means if they do team up, they'll need to team up yet again with another manufacturer who has a larger footprint in the volume markets.

Someone like PSA for instance... BMW and PSA already have engine-deals, which makes PSA a candidate. Problem here is that the current head of PSA was once at Airbus, who Daimler once not too long ago was very much interested in buying a piece of. PSA's current head didn't make that possible.

The magazine made mention of Honda, which doesn't sound too bad - if all this teaming up is inevitable of course -, as they are engineering driven (very good thing) and are globally represented (making up the volumes).

Now this all sounds very peachy, but my problem is this:

VW may be masters at the same-buns-and-meat-different-burgers manufacturing, but to me at least there's very little that distinguishes a Golf from a Leon from even an A3, bar some bells and whistles.

The other big thing is that it's only a matter of time before one company gobbles up the other. Let's face it, Daimler has the bigger wallet at the end of the day...

Some more puzzles: The 1 Series wouldn't fit in the grand plan so chances are that it'll go FWD in the generation after the one that's still to be released (gasp).

But, as they say, que sera sera.

EDIT: Oh yes, I forgot to mention that (again, apparently) the 7 and S as well as RR and Maybach will not be sharing anything, apart from between the 7/ RR and the S/ Maybach.
Don't mean to be an ass, but, ALL that sounds very VERY unlikely. BMW and FWD? I hardly believe so. And them pairing up with Mercedes Benz to share chassis and engines, highly doubt that too. We can already see BMW progressing and scheming their future engines and chassis with no intentions of pairing up with Mercedes Benz. We already have prototypes of the future M5 and M6 engines ( the new X5m and X6m engines). These engines are early stage projects for futures engines that will most likely become single turbo engines with valvetronic technology. Even though companies are leaning towards reducing production costs, they won't change their ways of being or the essence that makes them what they are. Hence, BMW will never become a non-luxury automobile manufacturer. FWD and BMW simply haven't mixed since the beginning of time and I doubt thats the way they will head. But again, this is just what I believe.
      05-26-2009, 11:12 PM   #20
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamm3k View Post
Don't mean to be an ass, but, ALL that sounds very VERY unlikely. BMW and FWD? I hardly believe so. And them pairing up with Mercedes Benz to share chassis and engines, highly doubt that too. We can already see BMW progressing and scheming their future engines and chassis with no intentions of pairing up with Mercedes Benz. We already have prototypes of the future M5 and M6 engines ( the new X5m and X6m engines). These engines are early stage projects for futures engines that will most likely become single turbo engines with valvetronic technology. Even though companies are leaning towards reducing production costs, they won't change their ways of being or the essence that makes them what they are. Hence, BMW will never become a non-luxury automobile manufacturer. FWD and BMW simply haven't mixed since the beginning of time and I doubt thats the way they will head. But again, this is just what I believe.
and what you believe i think is totally right, BMW teaming up with mercedes ? possible but to some level, i do think that they might do something together on the environmental issues and reducing emissions since 2 heads are better than one but sharing chassis and engine components and all that is little bit to much because that is really what distinguishes this cars , engines, chassis and design.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #21
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

now we need a bi-scroll turbos and valvetronic.
is the scroll turbo similar to what porsche uses in the 997 turbo?
      05-27-2009, 03:28 AM   #22
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]