2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding iOS 6.0.1... Any improvements ??

11-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i X Drive

iOS 6.0.1... Any improvements ??

Just wonedering if any of you have noticed any OFFICE or other improvements with iOS 6.0.1. Thanks: )
      11-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
ulo_in_sweden
Rep
Drives: 525d 2011

Simple answer; No!

This is getting embarrassing how Apple fails to implement the functionality we are expecting.

ulo
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulf@orhaug.se View Post
Simple answer; No!

This is getting embarrassing how Apple fails to implement the functionality we are expecting.

ulo
Really ? It's all APPLE's fault ? If that is the case then why does BMWs latest Bluetooth Software update (released AFTER 6.0) address "Bugs" and "improve performance" when using iOS 5.0 ?? ...a year late. Actually, I feel it's embarrassing how BMW drags it's technological ass when compared to its inferior Asian rivals.

So, lets not place the blame SOLELY at Apple's feet shall we ?

Last edited by NYF32DRIVER; 11-03-2012 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCE90DRIVER View Post
Really ? It's all APPLE's fault ? If that is the case then why does BMWs latest Bluetooth Software update (released AFTER 6.0) address "Bugs" and "improve performance" when using iOS 5.0 ?? ...a year late. Actually, I feel it's embarrassing how BMW drags it's technological ass when compared to its inferior Asian rivals.

So, lets not place the blame solely at Apple's feet shall we ?
It's not solely Apple's fault but they are greatly to blame. They run their own custom Bluetooth stack and pick/choose which protocols to support within it. The secrecy with respect to hardware and software launches hampers third party companies like BMW.

I'm an avid Apple user and spent 5 years of my life at the company. I left because of bureaucratic bull and the cowboy culture that existed. It's still pretty damn prevalent. The more iPhones Apple sells, the less likely they are to change their ways, because their formula works. I don't agree with it but just have to live with it.

To answer your question about 6.0.1: No improvements on my iPhone 5. On my dev iPhone 5 running 6.1 Beta, it's even worse. I'm not sure what they're doing/changing.
      11-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If you re-read my message it clearly states that Apple SHARES the blame. However, I still believe that BMW takes WAY to long to update their software and their backwards compatibility simply sucks.
      11-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
pMart36
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi M Sport

Quote:
Just wonedering if any of you have noticed any OFFICE or other improvements with iOS 6.0.1. Thanks: )
From what I understand there wont a resolution, according to a BMW rep I spoke with this past week. Apparently there was an accident where a passenger died, the passenger was on the phone and the family of the passenger is suing the car company for not having a disclaimer in the car like there is for the navigation system. The BMW rep said BMW doesn't want the function to work in the US now. He even said that come 2020 cars will have a scrambler to not allow cell phones to receive service while the car is in motion. How much truth is there to this story, I have no clue, its just what I was told.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
Mobileum
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

When IOS6 was introduced, they said it would be compatible with Honda, Ford and BMW. Ford has exactly the same problem as BMW. So I think Apple is mostly to blame.

http://forums.macnn.com/t/492684/for...rofile-how-too
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
OzDriver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: '13 535i & '08 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pMart36 View Post
From what I understand there wont a resolution, according to a BMW rep I spoke with this past week. Apparently there was an accident where a passenger died, the passenger was on the phone and the family of the passenger is suing the car company for not having a disclaimer in the car like there is for the navigation system. The BMW rep said BMW doesn't want the function to work in the US now. He even said that come 2020 cars will have a scrambler to not allow cell phones to receive service while the car is in motion. How much truth is there to this story, I have no clue, its just what I was told.
Makes sense, a lot of accident research over the past few years has shown that having a conversation, whether on a hands-free or handheld mobile phone, increases your probability of having an accident by a factor of 4. Even talking to a passenger, or listening to a passenger engage in a phone conversation can distract the driver.

Next thing we know they will be fitting cars with a "cone of silence" for the driver (apologies to those who never watched Get Smart and have no idea what I'm talking about )
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer
Quote:

So, lets not place the blame solely at Apple's feet shall we ?
It's not solely Apple's fault but they are greatly to blame. They run their own custom Bluetooth stack and pick/choose which protocols to support within it. The secrecy with respect to hardware and software launches hampers third party companies like BMW.

I'm an avid Apple user and spent 5 years of my life at the company. I left because of bureaucratic bull and the cowboy culture that existed. It's still pretty damn prevalent. The more iPhones Apple sells, the less likely they are to change their ways, because their formula works. I don't agree with it but just have to live with it.

To answer your question about 6.0.1: No improvements on my iPhone 5. On my dev iPhone 5 running 6.1 Beta, it's even worse. I'm not sure what they're doing/changing.

I'm guessing they are patching their holes against the upcoming jailbreak.
      11-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
What a bunch of nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
Be.Em.We
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Nobody will drive if it's true I suppose..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
Ccrc2001
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528i xDrive

Worked for me today

Folks, i'm not sure what I did, or didn't do; I have been receiving SMS for quite some time now, but this morning on my way to work, a spam email showed up on my phone (iPhone5 by the way) and wouldn't you know it the envelope showed up on my screen, at first I thought it was another sms that came in at about the same time, but no... it was the email.
I'll have to do some testing to see if it's consistent. check out the pics
the first is my phone screen shot an album cover was one I have my music playing via bluetooth, took the picture as soon as I saw that the message was an email. The second pic is the nav screen shot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0