2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Is BMW Color Blind?

11-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #45
fung0001
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 2013 520i Hartge Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Lover View Post
Why does BMW offer no bright color options?

Are they color blind at BMW?

Are they dealing with chronic depression across the pond?

Why 5 different blacks, 2 greys, 2 whites, 2 silvers, 3 browns and 1 graphite?

Why no red, yellow, green, or brighter blues?

Isn't this a type of sports car?

Aren't sports cars supposed to be bright, and sporty looking?

The color options are more appropriate for the livery business, not sports cars.

Please BMW, at least bring a non-metallic red to the 5-series, I am begging you.

I will even by the M-Sport Line, if you offer a non-metallic red.

http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail....&last=47159981

Money make the diff
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 12:06 AM   #46
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo Kid View Post
Dude!! I think what you're asking for is bright colors for those who don't want to pay anything extra That's not going to happen!

I also understand you don't think much of the BMW black and white colours, but perhaps you should take a closer look at them. They are multi-layered with a lot of depth and hints of other colour. You might not like them, but many do.

Good luck in your quest.
It is not that I don't think much of the BMW black colors; I just want some brighter choices, like non-metallic red. That was zero dollar paint for my 335d, and it didn't require an upgrade line to get access to that color.

I am sure the blacks are nice, but no dealer has them to see. I have looked in a 4 hour radius of my location. Also, black is a high maintenance color, and I don't want to wash my car every day. Suffice to say black is not for me. Even, if it does look better when the sun comes out.

Last edited by Diesel_Lover; 11-13-2013 at 06:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #47
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
It is not that I don't think much of the BMW black colors; I just want some brighter choices, like non-metallic red. That was zero dollar paint for my 335d, and it didn't require an upgrade line to get access to that color.

I am sure the blacks are nice, but no dealer has them to see. I have looked in a 4 hour radius of my location. Also, black is a high maintenance color, and I don't want to wash my car every day. Suffice to say black is not for me. Even, if it does look better when the sun comes out.
Well, if you are in Indianapolis, Chicago is about 3 hours away from you so you should be able to see any color you want there. Personally, I think you should stick with a 3 series. Based on the collection of your lists, that car is more in your budget range (as a 535 vs M5 is more in my budget range). The F30 is a great car and us targeted to a younger demographic which is why it has the color choices it does.
      11-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #48
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
Well, if you are in Indianapolis, Chicago is about 3 hours away from you so you should be able to see any color you want there. Personally, I think you should stick with a 3 series. Based on the collection of your lists, that car is more in your budget range (as a 535 vs M5 is more in my budget range). The F30 is a great car and us targeted to a younger demographic which is why it has the color choices it does.
I am in Southern Indiana, near Kentucky. Chicago is quite a trip from here. St. Louis is the largest dealer close to me, and that is a four hour trip. I looked at all the colors when I was there last, no individual colors, and not even all the normal colors.

I wouldn't buy the current 3-series. I don't like the car. It feels like driving a very expensive Toyota with its electric steering, and the diesel is only offered in a four cylinder.

I'm just going to patient, wait for the right incentives to come around, and keep the options low.

Someone is coming to look at my car tonight. I might be walking tomorrow. I hate to let my 335d go. It is such a sweet car with low miles, but I need AWD, and more cargo space. I am not going to let it go for less than $34,000 in a private sale. It still smells new.

I am definitely buying a 535dx. Hopefully I can get one the same color as my 335d.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #49
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

I agree that a wider range of colors should be offered, but what’s more upsetting is that Jet Black is not readily available on certain M Sport Package vehicles. How does that make any sense!? Jet Black has to be one of the more sporting colors! Otherwise, color-wise, the last model that had a good selection was the E38 7 Series. We should not have to pay extra for the following colors on either the F01 or F10...

And now that I think of it, the E38 was really one of the best BMW's ever!
Attached Images

Last edited by dbs600; 11-13-2013 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #50
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am in Southern Indiana, near Kentucky. Chicago is quite a trip from here. St. Louis is the largest dealer close to me, and that is a four hour trip. I looked at all the colors when I was there last, no individual colors, and not even all the normal colors.

I wouldn't buy the current 3-series. I don't like the car. It feels like driving a very expensive Toyota with its electric steering, and the diesel is only offered in a four cylinder.

I'm just going to patient, wait for the right incentives to come around, and keep the options low.

Someone is coming to look at my car tonight. I might be walking tomorrow. I hate to let my 335d go. It is such a sweet car with low miles, but I need AWD, and more cargo space. I am not going to let it go for less than $34,000 in a private sale. It still smells new.

I am definitely buying a 535dx. Hopefully I can get one the same color as my 335d.
You can get the same colour but you'll have to pay extra for it when you pay for the car and then again when you trade it (few will want that colour on their "new" car).

I can't agree with your assessment of the 335 XDrive. I have one as a loaner until my F10 535 X Drive arrives and I'm very impressed with the car. Sure the interior is more downscale than the 5 and it is less isolated and there is more road/wind noise than the 5, but after having it as a daily driver I think it is an excellent car. I can't really find fault with it other than it is a bit smaller than I need.

As to the steering, I know the F10 X Drives have hydraulic steering and I don't know whether the F30 X drives do as well, but I think the steering is superb!

I'm looking forward to getting delivery of my 535 X Drive, but I know I'll miss the nimbleness and lighter feel of the F30 I'm currently driving. I'll gain some comfort and size along with the extra $10,000 spend though.
      11-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #51
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
I agree that a wider range of colors should be offered, but what’s more upsetting is that Jet Black is not readily available on certain M Sport Package vehicles. How does that make any sense!? Jet Black has to be one of the more sporting colors! Otherwise, color-wise, the last model that had a good selection was the E38 7 Series. We should not have to pay extra for the following colors on either the F01 or F10...

And now that I think of it, the E38 was really one of the best BMW's ever!
Tastes change and I'm sure if BMW thought they could sell a red 5 or 7, in numbers, they'd offer it. Lets face it the F10 is more of a business suit type of car than a sports car.

If you look at the demographic they are shooting for, you can see the M5 colours are more edgy to suit the younger or more sporty demographic. THe 528/525/550 doesn't point to the same group of buyers.

The car magazines pan the F10 for its weight and handling, but 99.9% of the owners of this car aren't the enthusiasts who participate on this forum (or any other); they are executives (men/women) who just want a conservative nicely styled and comfortable car to drive to work and back and they are the bread and butter of BMW's 5 series business. We are in the minority here.
      11-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #52
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Quote:
If you look at the demographic they are shooting for, you can see the M5 colours are more edgy to suit the younger or more sporty demographic. THe 528/525/550 doesn't point to the same group of buyers.
The 5 Series has always been an executive tourer and the 7 Series a full-size luxury saloon; target market hasn't changed. These colors have been offered on these models in the past and no reason they shouldn't be now, except for BMW’s want of extracting $5k from whom they can. Raw paint cost alone (not talking supply, demand, etc.), Imola Red is probably less expensive than the metallics anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #53
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
The 5 Series has always been an executive tourer and the 7 Series a full-size luxury saloon; target market hasn't changed. These colors have been offered on these models in the past and no reason they shouldn't be now, except for BMW’s want of extracting $5k from whom they can. Raw paint cost alone (not talking supply, demand, etc.), Imola Red is probably less expensive than the metallics anyway.
I think the current 5 is taking some of the customers who wanted more comfort and pampering, hence it's target has changed a bit (I'm not ready for a 7, but would like a quieter, larger and more comfortable car than the 3). People are getting taller and the current f30 grows to meet that demand, being almost as large as the E39 of yesterday. The 1 (2) series serves the young 20 something's who want a sports sedan/coupe. What I'm saying is the BMW series classifications are the same (3,5,7) but they are serving different customers than they used to. So what colour might have sold on a 5 in 1999 when I last had one, might not sell as well today.
      11-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #54
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

In the nicest possible way, who cares how old everyone is? It should not cost thousands of dollars/£ to have a red F10.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #55
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can get the same colour but you'll have to pay extra for it when you pay for the car and then again when you trade it (few will want that colour on their "new" car).

I can't agree with your assessment of the 335 XDrive. I have one as a loaner until my F10 535 X Drive arrives and I'm very impressed with the car. Sure the interior is more downscale than the 5 and it is less isolated and there is more road/wind noise than the 5, but after having it as a daily driver I think it is an excellent car. I can't really find fault with it other than it is a bit smaller than I need.

As to the steering, I know the F10 X Drives have hydraulic steering and I don't know whether the F30 X drives do as well, but I think the steering is superb!

I'm looking forward to getting delivery of my 535 X Drive, but I know I'll miss the nimbleness and lighter feel of the F30 I'm currently driving. I'll gain some comfort and size along with the extra $10,000 spend though.
I apologize for including the entire 3-series. I only drove the F31 Sports Wagon, petrol version, and that is how I felt about that particular car.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #56
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tastes change and I'm sure if BMW thought they could sell a red 5 or 7, in numbers, they'd offer it. Lets face it the F10 is more of a business suit type of car than a sports car.

The car magazines pan the F10 for its weight and handling, but 99.9% of the owners of this car aren't the enthusiasts who participate on this forum (or any other); they are executives (men/women) who just want a conservative nicely styled and comfortable car to drive to work and back and they are the bread and butter of BMW's 5 series business. We are in the minority here.
Yeah but, now that they put a diesel in it. It isn't your daddy's 5-Series anymore, and it should get some color.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #57
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but, now that they put a diesel in it. It isn't your daddy's 5-Series anymore, and it should get some color.
I give up.

As you can see from my signature, I bought an Alpine White one. It just arrived today - I pick it up Friday afternoon.
      11-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #58
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Congrats on your new car, even if it is white.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #59
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on your new car, even if it is white.
Next to Carbon Black, I think it is the sportiest colour on this car - which is the look I like. The other colour I considered was Space Gray, but I thought it made the car look a bit like a business suit (no insult to those who have that colour - personal preference).
      11-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #60
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Quote:

Next to Carbon Black, I think it is the sportiest colour on this car - which is the look I like. The other colour I considered was Space Gray, but I thought it made the car look a bit like a business suit (no insult to those who have that colour - personal preference).
I agree, have Space Grey, and my new one coming is Space Grey. White looks lovely when clean, and a colleague of mine have one, so that ruled me out of white really. The £675 saving for white would have been nice too!!! but as a result of this, there are a LOT of white ones in the UK
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #61
fre2bpowerless
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: Yes. :D

Same here. 2 Whites, 2 Blacks, 2 Silver, 3 Grays and Imperial blue being the only real colour. A little variation would be great.

Havana/Mojave has been discontinued as well.

Current: BMW F13D, E38 735IL
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #62
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I agree. I am probably going with white. And considered Carbon black, but since I have to get M-Sport, that's out.

I am considering Pyrite Brown, but will probably wind up with white because of price.

Calisto Grey is also under consideration.

I talked to manager in the sales department yesterday, and he could only guess that any special color paint would be at least $5,000. He had never ordered a car like that, so I am still in the dark, no pun intended, as far as car color choice.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #63
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

Read through the link below, seems there is a US BMW dealer that does this often and maybe you can call them to get some definite answers about what is available and what can be done. When I ordered my car, I asked my dealer about a custom colour, I was told $5,000.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671256
Appreciate 0