2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Launch control and other cool features unlocked!!

12-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #23
Nokoa
Rep
Drives: 2014 535

Hello,

I have a 2014 535 Modern Line. How would I know if I have the SAT?

Ok, I answered my own questions. Looking at the build sheet: 2TB Sport Automatic Transmission

Last edited by Nokoa; 12-25-2014 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #24
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Guys, I have SAT but european 520d.
Can it be activated on 520d?

Thanks.
      01-04-2015, 05:46 AM   #25
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Guys,
I have 2011 520d. So in order to have Launch control activated, I updated all the modules.
I have coded my AT to have launch control.
This is the procedure which I follow:

1- Car in M/S mode. And car should be in sports plus mode.
2- Hand brake release.
3- One foot on the brake.
4- Other foot on the gas pedal and when you hit 2K RPM, you release the brake.

Car behaves like it is going through launch control, but there is no indication on the speedometer.

Am I doing it wrong or it does not show on speedometer on F10 that its in launch control mode.
      01-07-2015, 01:28 PM   #26
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Guys,
I have 2011 520d. So in order to have Launch control activated, I updated all the modules.
I have coded my AT to have launch control.
This is the procedure which I follow:

1- Car in M/S mode. And car should be in sports plus mode.
2- Hand brake release.
3- One foot on the brake.
4- Other foot on the gas pedal and when you hit 2K RPM, you release the brake.

Car behaves like it is going through launch control, but there is no indication on the speedometer.

Am I doing it wrong or it does not show on speedometer on F10 that its in launch control mode.
4- Other foot on the gas pedal ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR (past the "click" at the bottom - then the flag should show on the dash) and when you hit 2K RPM, you release the brake (the car should stop revving itself at about 2500 rpm, that's when you release the brake keeping foot on the gas).
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #27
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mness View Post
4- Other foot on the gas pedal ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR (past the "click" at the bottom - then the flag should show on the dash) and when you hit 2K RPM, you release the brake (the car should stop revving itself at about 2500 rpm, that's when you release the brake keeping foot on the gas).
Sorry, I am getting confused here

So you are saying, after step three...

on step 4, press the gas pedal fully down till I past the 'click'.
That will bring the flag up on speedometer?

So when I am doing step 4, are you saying that car will not rev past 2.5 RPM?

The reason I have asked that after pressing the brake, I press the pedal gently and rev goes up to 3K and so on but as soon as it goes above 2.5K, the rear end of car start becoming unstable and car start acting as if I am drifting....

So I release the brake at 2-2.5 to avoid rear end coming to the sides.
      01-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #28
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

Quote:
Sorry, I am getting confused here

So you are saying, after step three...

on step 4, press the gas pedal fully down till I past the 'click'.
That will bring the flag up on speedometer?
Yes. Pressing the gas past the click is what engages the Launch Control program. That's why you have to just floor it.

Quote:

So when I am doing step 4, are you saying that car will not rev past 2.5 RPM?

The reason I have asked that after pressing the brake, I press the pedal gently and rev goes up to 3K and so on but as soon as it goes above 2.5K, the rear end of car start becoming unstable and car start acting as if I am drifting....

So I release the brake at 2-2.5 to avoid rear end coming to the sides.
Right. What you're doing is just a burnout, without the computer Launch Control.

You don't want to "rev gently" (ie take much time) because the longer that you're giving it gas while the brakes are on the more wear on the transmission / torque converter.

With the Launch Control (flag) on, gas to the floor, the computer will manage the throttle and traction control, that's what you want. Once you do it the first time it's pretty quick (like a second or so to launch). Brakes on, floor it, once the revs stop going up release the brake and you take off.

It may allow a little wheelspin/chirp, but you don't want to sit on the brakes long with the engine revving or the back wheels spinning.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 01:25 AM   #29
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Pressing the gas past the click is what engages the Launch Control program. That's why you have to just floor it.

Right. What you're doing is just a burnout, without the computer Launch Control.

You don't want to "rev gently" (ie take much time) because the longer that you're giving it gas while the brakes are on the more wear on the transmission / torque converter.

With the Launch Control (flag) on, gas to the floor, the computer will manage the throttle and traction control, that's what you want. Once you do it the first time it's pretty quick (like a second or so to launch). Brakes on, floor it, once the revs stop going up release the brake and you take off.

It may allow a little wheelspin/chirp, but you don't want to sit on the brakes long with the engine revving or the back wheels spinning.
Thanks.
I will give it a try over the weekend and report back.

My car is 2011 and I have updated whole car last week just to enable launch control. It is coded to my car but for some reason I could not get the flag displayed on speedometer.
It might be that I was doing it gently.

Thanks for your prompts.
      01-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #30
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

FYI - the manual says to take no longer than 3 seconds before you release the brake.
There is also the outstanding question of whether or not there were hardware upgrades introduced with the 2014 (LCI's) that allowed launch control to be introduced.
Regardless, keep in mind that the computer stores the number of times launch control has been used, so there could potentially be a warranty issue if any drivetrain problems occur on pre-LCI cars where launch control has been implemented. So be careful
      01-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #31
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Is it enough to put it in sport+ and manual, or do you have to switch the traction control completely off by push and hold the DSC button for a few seconds?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #32
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
Is it enough to put it in sport+ and manual, or do you have to switch the traction control completely off by push and hold the DSC button for a few seconds?
You want to keep traction control (DTC) active to minimize wheel spin on the launch, so just put it in Sport+ which turns off Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) but leaves DTC active.
      01-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #33
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor View Post
You want to keep traction control (DTC) active to minimize wheel spin on the launch, so just put it in Sport+ which turns off Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) but leaves DTC active.
Ok tried that earlier, no little flag, but it sat at 3000rpm with the throttle at max and took off when I released the brakes, no wheel spinmor anything.

I have a -12 so non LCI, but it's an M performance car so the M division has tinkered with it.
In this video you can see the m550d sits at 3000 and then launches without any symbol o the dash.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #34
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
If you switch the traction control completely off the car goes back to comfort from sport+.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #35
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Quote:

Thanks.
I will give it a try over the weekend and report back.

My car is 2011 and I have updated whole car last week just to enable launch control. It is coded to my car but for some reason I could not get the flag displayed on speedometer.
It might be that I was doing it gently.

Thanks for your prompts.
Does your car have the TPMS system where you can read tire pressure and temperature in the iDrive display?

Early cars don't support LC because of different hardware.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #36
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor View Post
Ok tried that earlier, no little flag, but it sat at 3000rpm with the throttle at max and took off when I released the brakes, no wheel spinmor anything.

I have a -12 so non LCI, but it's an M performance car so the M division has tinkered with it.
In this video you can see the m550d sits at 3000 and then launches without any symbol o the dash.
http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>
LC was not available until LCI. You need to upgrade the software to a post LCI release in order to enable LC

And have a car that has the hardware to support LC. 2012 models seem to usually be able to support LC as long as the software is updated AFAIK
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 06:02 PM   #37
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
If you switch the traction control completely off the car goes back to comfort from sport+.
That is what I thought too.
Or to be specific, I know that happens if you pres the DSC button once.
Yesterday I actually pressed and held the DSC button untill it was completely off while in sport+.
And the engine, drivetrain and suspension still stayed red on the idrive screen indicating they were still active in sport+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
LC was not available until LCI. You need to upgrade the software to a post LCI release in order to enable LC

And have a car that has the hardware to support LC. 2012 models seem to usually be able to support LC as long as the software is updated AFAIK
I have an M-performance car, so the M division has tinkered with a lot of things on mine, the gearbox is different than normal SAT, the suspension is tuned differently and it appears to have a LC function, but no indication.
Actually tried it today and it will sit at 3k rpm when the throttle pressed and holding it on the brake.
One thing that surprised me was that even if the gear leaved was flipped over to manual it still automatically shifted to 2nd gear at the perfect place, not at redline but roughly 4800rpm
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 02:41 AM   #38
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib
Quote:
Depends on which model and coding your car has. There are lots of different settings from BMW between different models...

Some models keep the kickdown and upshift at redline function in Sport+ while other models disable kickdown and upshift at redline in Sport+ (if gearlever in manual mode and Sport+ the car won't shift down even if you press the throttle all the way down and equally it won't shift up at redline. You have to do the shifting manually, which is great on a twisty road or on the track).

The same is also true about DSC completely off. On some models that reverts the car to Normal and on others it still keeps the previously chosen settings.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #39
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Does your car have the TPMS system where you can read tire pressure and temperature in the iDrive display?

Early cars don't support LC because of different hardware.
No TPMS system.

I have 2011 520d F10.

Whole car has been updated and launch control activated via coding.

I did not get time to try as I was trying to retrofit 6WA.

Other thing which I have noticed is that there is no launch control coding in the 6WA kombi.
      01-25-2015, 11:05 PM   #40
tres_Culebras
Homegrown in CA!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 528i

Garage List
2011 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Launch control

Hey guys... First off... Great thread! I just recently joined after purchasing my 2011 528..... Does anyone know if the coding process will work to update additional features for my model? I saw above that most launch control may only be for 2013 and newer but here's a few questions--

A) what hidden features are available?
B) can someone unlock this on their own?
C) does this void any warranty or have any additional negative affects after recoding their car?

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 03:01 AM   #41
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres_Culebras View Post
Hey guys... First off... Great thread! I just recently joined after purchasing my 2011 528..... Does anyone know if the coding process will work to update additional features for my model? I saw above that most launch control may only be for 2013 and newer but here's a few questions--

A) what hidden features are available?
B) can someone unlock this on their own?
C) does this void any warranty or have any additional negative affects after recoding their car?

Thanks for the info!
Firstly, car will require flashing and updating the car. If I am not wrong, this feature is given to 2014 onward cars.

I have updated my car and then coded it.
However for some reason, it does not work on my car.
      01-26-2015, 06:26 AM   #42
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Firstly, car will require flashing and updating the car. If I am not wrong, this feature is given to 2014 onward cars.

It could be because it's a 520d, since the LCI 520d don't get SAT, so I guess no launch control.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 08:25 AM   #43
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib
Quote:

It could be because it's a 520d, since the LCI 520d don't get SAT, so I guess no launch control.
That might be reason mate.
      04-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #44
Philip Park
Enlisted Member
South Korea
Rep
Drives: F10 m5 2013

Garage List
from south korea question about 535d 2013 launch control?

hello evryone i'm from south korea

i have 2013.03 f10 535d

i don't know about my car can do it launch control start for drag race...

i try serevel time can not start

what is S.A.T ZF 8 SPEED...

if only can do it 2014 LCI 535D ?

i try this method

1. 10~15minute drive first because mission temperature up!!!

2. change sport+ mode

3. put the brake deep....

4. floor the acell (gas) pedal deep...

5. 3second to release the brake....

but my car is push the accel(gas) pedal deeply.. my car moving forward... and rear wheel is spin.....

i can't check the flag apeear..... <<< it doesn't apeear

my car doen'st using oem launch control?

what can i do for launch control only can coding

EGS > 3000 > APPLICATION > LC > ACTIVE ?