2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Is it possible to swap M exhaust manifold (from X5M/X6M) on 550i?

01-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Jimefam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550I Msport

As the title suggest I'm wondering if you can simply swap in the M exhaust manifold that BMW created for the S63 engine in the X5M and X6M? I'm pretty sure it will bolt on to the engine just fine as the block is the same but BMW also changed the turbos and I don't know if the housing is different. Perhaps someone on here with more knowledge can clear this up. As for what I'm hoping to achieve well it would help reduce lag and provide a more linear power curve but I don't think it would make that big of a difference in the short term. Only by putting on larger turbos and upping the boost significantly will it really be worth it. Reason I'm looking at it now is I'm having doubts about getting the dinan flash if big power is really what I'm after but there isn't much else out there now to do on this engine. Have the dinan money and the manifold is the same cost and if I don't use it now wife will! Chime in everyone.

Some background on the manifold:

http://m.automobilemag.com/features/...rag/index.html

Last edited by Jimefam; 01-20-2011 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
AME
Rep
Drives: 550i

Very interesting. Can you fix the link?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 12:21 AM   #3
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 / Nissan GTR

I think the manifold by itself will not give you as much power as the Dinan reflash. Even If you got the manifold, you would still need to reflash in order to realize any significant gains. Best to do the manifold and a custom reflash on a rolling dyno but I would wait until the aftermarket industry has had enough experience with this engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
Jimefam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550I Msport

Sorry link fixed. Yeah the dinan would net me more power but later if I wanted to tailor the tune to my components the dinan would be lost whereas the manifold would continue to be useful when I find a competent local tuner who can do the custom tune.
Appreciate 0