2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 5-series not just a scaled down 7-series, here's proof.

05-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Lightbulb F10 5-series not just a scaled down 7-series, here's proof.

Some say that the F10 5-series resembles a smaller 7-series. Some even think that that means that it's just a modified version of the 7-series, technologically speaking. Well, here's evidence that the F10 5-series stands on its own and is not merely a scaled down 7-series.

From Richard Aucock's blog:
Quote:
BMW’s new F10 5 Series may be closely associated with the 7 Series and 5 Series GT, but this doesn’t mean it’s simply a modified version of those cars.

‘In terms of driving dynamics, we always start from a clean sheet,’ explained Jos van As. But how, given the interrelation of components? By starting from the start, not working backwards.

Van As talks through the methodology, showing the 5 is more than a scaled down 7 (or, indeed, a 1/6th-price Rolls-Royce Ghost…). His work begins before a CAD pixel is created, through a logical build-up process:

• DNA – ‘Here, we define proportions, weight distribution, drive concept, aero effects such as lift coefficient front and rear, and so on’
• Suspension – Spring and damper rates are decided upon (‘ride quality was the focus with F10’)
• Tyres – Design of car, weight of car under different load conditions (‘for example, we can decide what size wheels we can fit, and what pressures we need’)
• Steering – Ratio, speed of response (‘the 5 Series has EPAS, like the 7 Series, but the ratio is faster’)

Once you have all this, you can begin setting up the standard suspension. With the 5 Series, says van As, ‘a team of 4 engineers set up the standard car.

‘This standard car is the base; we add on dynamic features to this platform, all controlled by ICM.’

As yet, then, there are no specific ‘sport’ suspensions for the 5 Series, but more dynamic variations of the standard car, created through technological add-ons. That’s what you can achieve with electronic dampers and adaptive anti-roll, ‘all controlled by ICM’.

Sounds like a cop-out? Not at all, such is the advanced level of ICM. ‘It’s all interconnected, all systems are parameticised. The chassis alone has 45,000 parameters – so it is quite hard work to get it right!’

Here’s where a strong, stiff body-in-white becomes vital, says van As. ‘It is important we get a good structure so we can discover how one change interacts with another.’

While those high-end cars could indeed have a fair few suspension settings, ‘the customer does not need 45,000 (!), so they get 4. ‘

‘These characterise the car in 4 different ways – making 4 cars in 1 from a dynamic point of view.’

Shrunken 7 Series, then? No – it’s a fair bit more than that…
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

Sorry, but how this proves that it is not a scaled sown 7 is beyond me. They are simply saying that the some components of the car have thousands of settings (which almost all modern cars do) and then they go about saying how they desgined the proportions differently (obviously if not it would be the SAME car) and how the steering ratio is quicker. I'm not saying that the 5er is the same as a 7er in any way, but this article does nothing to prove otherwise. Just my 2cents.
      05-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

if the 7 is a success, i have no issue with the 5 being a scaled down model. just keep the goods & don't be cheap. however, beyond what we can see on the surface we really don't know what BMW have done to make it different. i'd rather hope it has a more different look interior & exterior-wise to the 7. if they all look the same, i say it's boring design...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

PM3,
i hear ya.

i happened to like Bangle, when big % of people hate his design. i think a good design brings conversation. people either love, or hate but that's personal opinion. a blend design, however, people tend to forget about what it's really about...

while people hate Bangle's design, u can see many examples using his idea on the market. such as the current S-class, Lexus LS etc., all have the previous 7 look especially trunk design & interior design.

i like Audi. but what keeps me from loving it is the blend design. i gotta agree with u on the now A8. they're got so much time on it & still make it not far from the old A8. even worse, now it looks like bigger A4. the LED they're so proud of... big deal!

i really hope BMW departs from other brand. they did a good job on the 7 interior. so does the new Z4, X5/6... just make them all different inside out for god sake.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

I cannot see how Jos van As's "explanation" proves that the 5-series is not a scaled down 7-series. What he says is not a proof, it is just a rambling list of the obvious. I am also not sure if any explanations or proofs are needed. Both series are made by the same company, obviously they are related. Others in the thread also mentioned the role of Mr. Bangle designs in shaping modern BMWs. I am among the many people who respect Mr. Bangle and like his designs. Bangle ideas are original enough to be flattered with many imitators, and I suspect that many who say they dislike Bangle designs only try to conform to what others say about them.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
atmgr
Canada
Rep
Drives: '10 e60 528xi '06 325xi '09 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM3 View Post
I do appreciate the fact that despite recognizing straight away a bimmer my seven looks very different from my 3ser and the wifes X3, or a five series yet u can see where they all come from.
+1. Can't agree more. Not sure I like the look of f10. So, just picked up a new e60. Hopefully f10 will grow on me in the next a couple of years when the lease expires.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
Sheepcoat
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan SG

OMG you guys get it. I thought I was lone as being one of the few that understood bangle's genius. He was brilliant. Every series of cars had a totally clear identification and purpose from the other classes. From the elegant bulges of the 6 series to the light footed and wacky 1 series.

Chris Bangle, please come back !
      05-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

I can t understand how u guys don t appreciate the design of the new F10 5 series.... The building quality is by far superior to e 60...
Let s wait the M Pack and we'll see a much more raw car
I like a lot the quality of the new models! It s an upgrade that u can t pass and not take into account!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
sfbayguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming in June: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
I can t understand how u guys don t appreciate the design of the new F10 5 series.... The building quality is by far superior to e 60...
Let s wait the M Pack and we'll see a much more raw car
I like a lot the quality of the new models! It s an upgrade that u can t pass and not take into account!

Totally agree, build quality and design are right on target for new F10 and interior design and interior quality are a significant leap forward from E60.
Appreciate 0