2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Does every oil service include changing microfilter?

02-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Does every oil service include changing microfilter?

Went to dealer today with F10 520d. Booked for oil service.
After checking my key I was told that microfilter should be changed otherwise they will not reset oil service indication.
When I looked at my service booklet, they have changed microfilter on every single oil service.

So price doubled up with adding microfilter.

What is the experience of others?
On e9x it was changed on every other oil service. Is it excessive service requirement? Something which bmw changed with F-series?
      02-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Same experience here. And mine has a service pack on it which was prepaid by the previous owner so I assume they would only do the absolute minimum.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
The user manual states that the oil service and microfilter are changed together. The air filter and fuel filter are changed every second oil service.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall57
The user manual states that the oil service and microfilter are changed together with the air filter and fuel filter changed every second oil service.
Thanks mate.
Still confused though?
So micro filter should be changed on every other service?
Looking at my service history, it has been changed on every oil service.
Oil change with filter was £150 and then micro filter alone was £150 with labour.

Looking at dashcam video, technician hardly spent 30 minutes doing both jobs.
He did not follow the correct procedure which states that;
- Front bumper should be covered with protection sheet
-Air filter and plastic trim underneath should be removed to access oil filter. He left it floating and connected to air hose.
-Used normal water to top up coolant!
-Used normal water to top up screen washer!

No wonder why our screen washers get clogged!

And best part, they could not reset oil service light and were after another £100 to diagnose it.

Other than that, customer service was brilliant. I inquire about bmw performance kit. I was quoted £950 for kit and similar price for installation. So, £1800 performance kit which consist of
- new ecu
- intercooler
- bigger air duct
And thats it.
Manager was honest enough to say that if your car is out of warranty then why dont you try local remapper.
      03-01-2015, 02:42 AM   #5
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Thanks mate.
Still confused though?
So micro filter should be changed on every other service?
Looking at my service history, it has been changed on every oil service.
Sorry - I wasn't clear. Micro filters are changed with every oil service. The fuel filter and intake air filter are changed every second oil change so....

1st service = Oil and Micro filters
2nd service = Oil, Micro, Fuel and Air filters
3rd service = as first service
etc.

In my user manual this is explained under "Maintenance" from page 210

£150 for oil service seems pretty standard for BMW but £150 in addition to change the microfilters (I think there are 2) seems expensive. The filters though appear much more expensive than the e90 filters which are cheap now and a breeze to change.

There is a DIY on changing the F10 cabinet filter (link below). My car came with a 5 year / 60k service package so I can at least avoid being ripped off for another 2.5 years or 40k miles.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768047
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler

Last edited by tmarshall57; 03-01-2015 at 02:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 03:00 AM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall57 View Post
Sorry - I wasn't clear. Micro filters are changed with every oil service. The fuel filter and intake air filter are changed every second oil change so....

1st service = Oil and Micro filters
2nd service = Oil, Micro, Fuel and Air filters
3rd service = as first service
etc.

In my user manual this is explained under "Maintenance" from page 210

£150 for oil service seems pretty standard for BMW but £150 in addition to change the microfilters (I think there are 2) seems expensive. The filters though appear much more expensive than the e90 filters which are cheap now and a breeze to change.

There is a DIY on changing the F10 cabinet filter (link below). My car came with a 5 year / 60k service package so I can at least avoid being ripped off for another 2.5 years or 40k miles.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768047
It is clear now. I wish I had looked at manual and read it properly.

I looked at that DIY long time ago and dont mind changing it. BMW said that they will not reset the oil service which can be done easily. I wanted to keep bmw service history so paid that.

Next service is due in 1 -2 year so I will be taking it to independent as its out of warranty now.

Cheers
      03-01-2015, 07:19 AM   #7
SpeedTrip
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i LCI-2 Alpine

Garage List
Used to infuriate me with my E39 530i Touring that they'd change the Microfilters w/o asking - dead easy to lift the covers, de-dust energetically and replace in 5 mins ... really only needed changing every 3rd time ....

Can they really refuse to reset the Service Indicator for this ?

Sounds like an excellent idea to leave the Camera running & expose their shoddy working practices !

320i *2, 323i, 520i *2, 540i, 535i, 840i, E36 M5, 328i, 530i, 320d, 535d, M135i, M140i * 2
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 08:43 AM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Grabble View Post
Same experience here. And mine has a service pack on it which was prepaid by the previous owner so I assume they would only do the absolute minimum.
Check your service history and it should show you if they are changing it or not.
I bet service pack works out cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedTrip View Post
Used to infuriate me with my E39 530i Touring that they'd change the Microfilters w/o asking - dead easy to lift the covers, de-dust energetically and replace in 5 mins ... really only needed changing every 3rd time ....

Can they really refuse to reset the Service Indicator for this ?

Sounds like an excellent idea to leave the Camera running & expose their shoddy working practices !

Its money making scheme. Do you really need to change cabin filter every 15K miles? Come on, UK roads are not that polluted compared to many other countries. And charging £150 for a filter which is hardly £40-50....

re: Dashcam, I was not cheeky. I have dashcam which records if there is any movement when car is parked.

So technician moving in front of my car means, it was being recorded. Good to see how work is done on your car.

Last edited by makkan00; 03-03-2015 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 04:28 PM   #9
Spur
Registered
Rep
Drives: f10 530D 2011

Hi guy's,

I am new to this forum after acquiring a 2011 530D.
I need a brake fluid and vehicle inspection this service, even though just had the 120 point AUC check mid Jan with fresh MOT. I'm wondering if BMW will waive that?
The oil service is due in 4900 miles so I'm thinking of changing early as it has travelled 16000 miles since the last and change the air-filter as the car has touched on 70000 miles now.
Would you guys say changing the fuel filter is required regularly and with all this work, do you think BMW could give a discount if I ring a few.
I just want to make the car last for the long haul and thinking that the current oil change periods aren't really ideal.

I know this will cost me £££££££ but opinions welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #10
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
My view is that there is nothing wrong with the oil change intervals calculated by the CBS, when using modern BMW spec oil. Others will disagree. I kept rigidly to the 20k miles or so change intervals on my recently sold e90 330d and drove 180k miles in it without issue.

Fuel and air filters are changed every alternate oil change according to the service schedule. I wouldn't expect to be paying for a service of any kind within a few weeks of buying an AUC car.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
Spur
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall57 View Post
My view is that there is nothing wrong with the oil change intervals calculated by the CBS, when using modern BMW spec oil. Others will disagree. I kept rigidly to the 20k miles or so change intervals on my recently sold e90 330d and drove 180k miles in it without issue.

Fuel and air filters are changed every alternate oil change according to the service schedule. I wouldn't expect to be paying for a service of any kind within a few weeks of buying an AUC car.
Thanks for the advice and I will be taking it. Called about doing the whole lot and it came to £720. I am just going to get the brake fluid sorted for £87 and hopefully they are able to open my jammed bonnet at the same time.
The oil change will be due in 3-4 months anyhow and I just want to dream about trying to get the close to your mileage (brilliant)' but stick to the CBS if it works for the majority.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #12
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Check your service history and it should show you if they are changing it or not.
I bet service pack works out cheaper.

Its money making scheme. Do you really need to change cabin filter every 15K miles? Come on, UK roads are not that polluted compared to many other companies. And charging £150 for a filter which is hardly £40-50....

re: Dashcam, I was not cheeky. I have dashcam which records if there is any movement when car is parked.

So technician moving in front of my car means, it was being recorded. Good to see how work is done on your car.
Now that's a good idea and use for the dash cam

Don't blame you for using that at all
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post
Hi guy's,

I need a brake fluid and vehicle inspection this service, even though just had the 120 point AUC check mid Jan with fresh MOT. I'm wondering if BMW will waive that?
The oil service is due in 4900 miles so I'm thinking of changing early as it has travelled 16000 miles since the last and change the air-filter as the car has touched on 70000 miles now.
Would you guys say changing the fuel filter is required regularly and with all this work, do you think BMW could give a discount if I ring a few.
I just want to make the car last for the long haul and thinking that the current oil change periods aren't really ideal.

I know this will cost me £££££££ but opinions welcomed.
I would suggest you to pop in to your local dealer. Give them the key and ask them to check what is due.
Get a print out of it.
Then go
https://www.bmw-service.co.uk/

Put your car reg and see what price you get for the jobs you need to get done.

And request it via website. Some dealers give you price more than that website.
      03-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #14
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasser View Post
Now that's a good idea and use for the dash cam

Don't blame you for using that at all
      03-03-2015, 03:23 PM   #15
Spur
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Quote:
Hi guy's,

I know this will cost me but opinions welcomed.
I would suggest you to pop in to your local dealer. Give them the key and ask them to check what is due.
Get a print out of it.
Then go
https://www.bmw-service.co.uk/

Put your car reg and see what price you get for the jobs you need to get done.

And request it via website. Some dealers give you price more than that website.
Hi Makkan,

I just put my details in and brake fluid is coming up as £51 assume it's including VAT. Obviously a lot lower than BMW-Williams quote of £87.
Does that mean I should tell them and they will match it? Or is it at the dealers discretion?

CHEERS UP
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 02:57 AM   #16
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi Makkan,

I just put my details in and brake fluid is coming up as £51 assume it's including VAT. Obviously a lot lower than BMW-Williams quote of £87.
Does that mean I should tell them and they will match it? Or is it at the dealers discretion?

CHEERS UP
Click on that £51 and then it usually adds £20 (cannot remember what is that for) and continue. It will show you local dealer and then you can put a request to dealers to ring you and book you.

I did it twice and never heard from the dealers as they hate this website.

So I rang my dealer and mentioned that I requested twice. They apologized and said system might be down and booked me on the basis of the price mentioned on the website.

Your dealer should price match that.
      03-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #17
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Quote:
Click on that £51 and then it usually adds £20 (cannot remember what is that for) and continue. It will show you local dealer and then you can put a request to dealers to ring you and book you.

I did it twice and never heard from the dealers as they hate this website.

So I rang my dealer and mentioned that I requested twice. They apologized and said system might be down and booked me on the basis of the price mentioned on the website.

Your dealer should price match that.
£19.80 for Standard Scope charge : "The standard scope is a necessary requirement carried out at every workshop visit. Your BMW Technician will interrogate your BMW’s computer for error messages and reset completed service indicators."
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:27 AM   #18
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto View Post
£19.80 for Standard Scope charge : "The standard scope is a necessary requirement carried out at every workshop visit. Your BMW Technician will interrogate your BMW’s computer for error messages and reset completed service indicators."
Thanks for posting.

That is correct. It takes 2 minutes to do that yourself, but since its dealer, so 1 minute = £10.
      03-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #19
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

The micro filter thing really annoys me and makes otherwise reasonable servicing costs very expensive.

I am fairly sure that it is NOT necessary to replace it at EVERY oil service - the BMW Service website even quotes for an oil service WITHOUT microfilter yet the dealers seem to disagree.

If it really does need doing every time then why does the BMW website provide a quote for a service that the car will never have - oil service w/o microfilter?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 06:01 PM   #20
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox530 View Post
The micro filter thing really annoys me and makes otherwise reasonable servicing costs very expensive.

I am fairly sure that it is NOT necessary to replace it at EVERY oil service - the BMW Service website even quotes for an oil service WITHOUT microfilter yet the dealers seem to disagree.

If it really does need doing every time then why does the BMW website provide a quote for a service that the car will never have - oil service w/o microfilter?
That was my point but did not want to argue with the service centre manager.

He said that he could do oil service only and stamp the book but they will not reset the oil service light. To reset oil service light they have to change the filtre as well. That is not convincing and I let them do both.

But for next time, I will get oil serviced from them and get the book stamped.
Will do filtre myself and reset of computer takes less than 2 minutes.

I do not mind paying £150 for oil change which should cost £50-60. And that is to keep bmw stamp in the book however £300 for oil change with mandatory cabin filtre change is money making strategy.