2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK what tyre pressures are you lot running?

11-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
poolie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d f10 m sport

what tyre pressures are you lot running?

I have the oem 19"s rfts fitted to my car and have tyres noise issues sounds like droning like a wheel bearing on its way out noise. Its not bearings as ive checked Ive also checked tyres pressures and they were all on 28 ive put 32 in allround but the noise is still there maybe a bit better would more pressure solve the problem. Thats why I ask what pressures you guys run.

Thanks.

Previous e46 320d se e60 530d back sapphire e60 535d space grey e91 320d space grey rrs 3.6 v8 black audi a4 ibis white 3.0 tdi
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

535i M-Sport touring (wagon) on 18" summer RFTs, square setup.

I run 2.4 bar (35 psi) front and 2.65 (38 psi) bar rear for normal use. Gives the best run-flat tyre performance, no weird RFT characteristics. Run same setting pressure on 17" winter RFTs in average winter temperatures.

Interesting you posted this today, as I have just been out (ambient temperature is dropping fast up here below 7C) and wet, felt the first bit of RFT steering corruption. My thoughts were "cold tyres, lower pressure". So when I came in I checked the pressures, and even after 30 miles driving the tyres were cold. Were at the setting pressures, not working pressure. After cooling down for an hour the pressures are reading low as I'd expect. Was about 15C when I last set the pressures. Will be resetting pressures as soon as the rain stops. Already had my compressor running, have a tank of air ready.

So cold stiff walled tyres, not warming on the run, clearly show my normal setting is just high enough, anything less and tyre performance deteriorates and corrupts the drive.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolie View Post
I have the oem 19"s rfts fitted to my car and have tyres noise issues sounds like droning like a wheel bearing on its way out noise. Its not bearings as ive checked Ive also checked tyres pressures and they were all on 28 ive put 32 in allround but the noise is still there maybe a bit better would more pressure solve the problem. Thats why I ask what pressures you guys run.

Thanks.
If you have been running that low a pressure, I suggest you examine the tyres. I'd guess you have 'heel and toe' wear (looks like a saw tooth pattern) on the shoulder tread blocks, which is a noise generator on many tyres.

If you don't have directional tyres and do have the wear, it may pay to swap wheels 'side to side' to reverse the wear pattern and hopefully get rid of the noise. May be too late, but worth investigating.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
skipsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520 D M Sport

31.5 front
33.5 rear, just fitted winter non run flats with the same pressure so will how they go
Oh and it's a 520 M Sport with 19s
Appreciate 0