2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board LG OLED TV?s

02-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi BMW X5 F15 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
LG OLED TV?s

What are your thoughts on Oled TVs specially the LG B7A?
      02-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #2
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Have the C7. Its great. Love the picture, functionality is great and very easy to use. Not the best sound out of the box, but easy to fix that with other speaker set ups.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben14142001 View Post
Have the C7. Its great. Love the picture, functionality is great and very easy to use. Not the best sound out of the box, but easy to fix that with other speaker set ups.
Thanks man. I?ve been worried about the image retention issue everyone is complaining about
      02-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

I have the 65E7P - Absolutely love it. I've had it for 5 months now and watch a lot more tV now lol.

The E7 has it's own dolby atmos bar which is great but if does not have the bass. It's nice when I want to keep it down. I am looking for atmos sound bar though.

Keep in mind image retention is temporary. Burn-in is a problem. I haven't encountered either *knock on wood*
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
I have the 65E7P - Absolutely love it. I've had it for 5 months now and watch a lot more tV now lol.

The E7 has it's own dolby atmos bar which is great but if does not have the bass. It's nice when I want to keep it down. I am looking for atmos sound bar though.

Keep in mind image retention is temporary. Burn-in is a problem. I haven't encountered either *knock on wood*
Dope! I just got a 65?. Any recommendations on calibrating the picture?
      02-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldogo View Post
Dope! I just got a 65?. Any recommendations on calibrating the picture?
Yes - Recommendation is not to go with Geek Squad. I had them come calibrate my TV and it's worse than before. The "true black" is just got lit up like LED and they weren't able to do HDR. I found the TV's stock settings much better.

There are some really good sources in the US. But I'll suggest you go with the settings on avsforums. Just search for OLED E7 calibration settings. They have long running threads.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I’ve got a 65” B7A and love it. Amazing picture. I watch a lot of sports (static images for scores, etc.) as well as play Nintendo Switch on it sometimes, and have never seen any image retention.

I think a lot of the issues people see with image retention are due to not turning down the brightness from factory settings. Once you take it out of “torch mode”, there is really no big risk.

And as far as the “banding” that people complain about - basically lack of uniformity in displaying a single color on a large portion of the screen - that was very apparent at first, but subsided once the TV had a couple hundred hours on it. The fact that I lowered brightness and tweaked the hell out of the other picture settings might have also played a role in reducing that too.

Let me know if you have any other questions - I’d be happy to answer them.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #8
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I’ve got a 65” B7A and love it. Amazing picture. I watch a lot of sports (static images for scores, etc.) as well as play Nintendo Switch on it sometimes, and have never seen any image retention.

I think a lot of the issues people see with image retention are due to not turning down the brightness from factory settings. Once you take it out of “torch mode”, there is really no big risk.

And as far as the “banding” that people complain about - basically lack of uniformity in displaying a single color on a large portion of the screen - that was very apparent at first, but subsided once the TV had a couple hundred hours on it. The fact that I lowered brightness and tweaked the hell out of the other picture settings might have also played a role in reducing that too.

Let me know if you have any other questions - I’d be happy to answer them.
Hey, thanks for the detailed explanation. Now I'm trying to calibrate this thing. Do you have any suggestions on the picture settings? I usually watch UHD content
      02-20-2018, 09:45 PM   #9
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Just picked up the E7 myself (friday)...had a thread on here about a week ago on advice.

Got the E7 because I didn't want to run the surround system in my everyday watching. If you plan to run surround, the picture is exactly the same on all these...just the bezel the picture is on differs.

Will state, the TV is amazing...if going for the B7, I would have just got it from Costco. Used a app called Greentoe...worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #10
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the detailed explanation. Now I'm trying to calibrate this thing. Do you have any suggestions on the picture settings? I usually watch UHD content
CNET has a calibration for the picture. To be honest, it's only a couple clicks off the standard Cinema mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #11
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

I have the B6 and the pros reviews are saying its just as good as for pic quality, new ones have little more features, you wont regret getting one. Be ready to get sound system next. I just completed my Dolby Atmos to compliment my Oled
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:50 PM   #12
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster335 View Post
I have the B6 and the pros reviews are saying its just as good as for pic quality, new ones have little more features, you wont regret getting one. Be ready to get sound system next. I just completed my Dolby Atmos to compliment my Oled
Ah dope! Did you get the LG Atmos sound bar or? How do you like the sound?
      02-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #13
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Quote:
No not the sound bar, I got the 13.1 surround speakers, amps, receivers, the whole 9 yards
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #14
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No not the sound bar, I got the 13.1 surround speakers, amps, receivers, the whole 9 yards
Whaaaat, that's crazy but very dope. I'm building my house, so I'm plotting to ask the builder to cut holes on the ceiling for the speakers
      02-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #15
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

They cool and all but i cant justify the price jump over a nice non oled tv. I recently bought a 75 inch LG non oled model. To get the same size oled would have been like 1.5k more. I demoed it heavily bit in the end i didn't feel the picture was really really wroth the extra 1.5.

my 2 cents...
      02-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I'd have to look at mine at home, but I turned down almost everything, adjusted the color balance, and turned off most of the artificial processing stuff. Admittedly I don't watch UHD, so I can't comment on how my setup looks for that, but for HD it looks great to my eye.

Curious, what source do you use for UHD? UHD BluRay player, built in apps, external STB? I need to get something. I have an Apple TV 4th Gen and am planning to upgrade to the 4K one soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 08:19 AM   #17
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520d se

Quote:
I'd have to look at mine at home, but I turned down almost everything, adjusted the color balance, and turned off most of the artificial processing stuff. Admittedly I don't watch UHD, so I can't comment on how my setup looks for that, but for HD it looks great to my eye.

Curious, what source do you use for UHD? UHD BluRay player, built in apps, external STB? I need to get something. I have an Apple TV 4th Gen and am planning to upgrade to the 4K one soon.
I tend to use a thx optimiser to set up my tv picture, they're on the Star Wars DVD's (iirc) and a few others.
Admittedly it's been a few years since I last set up a tv, so there may be better methods now.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #18
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

got the 55 c7 and its a dream.

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #19
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I just got the Apple TV 4K version and works very well. I disconnected my Verizon tv service because the picture quality was horrible on the oled. So I now use Hulu tv and I love it.
      02-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #20
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Anyone have recommendations on setting up a Dolby Atmos home theatre?
      02-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #21
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

I picked up a 65” B7 about a month ago. I could have picked up the E7 for the same price but didn’t like the glare from the glass.

Was debating between the Panasonic 65EZ950 and the LG but after seeing the LG and Panasonic side by side I couldn’t justify the extra $$$.

I previously had a Pioneer Kuro plasma, which is now in the basement, but this is a definite improvement.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 02:46 AM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
What are your thoughts on Oled TVs specially the LG B7A?
LG OLED TV menu adjustments the best, but color decoder errors (models available as of December 2017). Not serious errors, but errors others do not have.

Sony had damn near perfect color decoder, but menu adjust it and other parameters is a mess (which is strange for Sony. Hopefully Models 2018 will fix)

Panasonic gets both right, but not available in USA due to dispute with Amazon and Best Buy.

All 3 use the same OLED screen made by LG.

It’s the software in the chassis that make them difference.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 02-24-2018 at 02:52 AM..
Appreciate 0