2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Can anyone reproduce or have had similar issues? 2nd gear pause/stuttering

05-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
eaglecomm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT & 2015 M6 GC CP

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Can anyone reproduce or have had similar issues? 2nd gear pause/stuttering

Here are the reproducible issues and some information. Would like to see if anyone has had similar issues and whether I am missing something.

2011 535i
Manual Transmission
81k+ miles
First round of gas was 91
Second round of gas (100 miles of it so far) was 93

The issue:
1st gear - smooth as I accelerate. No hold backs, stuttering, jumpiness.
2nd gear - If I hit the gas heavy, the car freezes for at least 1-2 seconds. No gas seems to be supplied. It's not a slow lag, it seems to be like I haven't even pushed the accelerator pedal. My body lunges forward as the RPMs go down waiting for the car to accelerate after coming out of 1st gear. Then it responds and punches correctly. However as the RPMs go up, it stutters and seems to miss occasionally until I hit 3rd gear.
3rd and up - under heavy acceleration, there is no freezing for the first second or 2 like 2nd gear, but I still have the stuttering at various hits up the RPM band. No backfires.

The specific locations of the stuttering as the RPMs go up is not standard or repeatable at an exact interval. I just notice the jerking as the sputtering sticks at certain times.

If I am very sensitive and slow with the acceleration, the issues either go away completely or are barely noticeable. However, when I hit the gas, I can always repeat the 2nd gear stall.

At first I thought it was me getting used to the clutch (new to me car), but no matter how smooth the shift and run through second gear, it's always there when I drive it with anything but light acceleration.

I don't remember it during the test drive (before purchased), but I know that it was there before the JB4 and SprintBooster. Both, I believe, have just amplified the effect and if I put the JB4 to Map0 and turn off the SB, it is still there.

There are no codes thrown, no CEL, no codes to read through OBS/JB4.

I have changed the plugs recently and will likely change the coils soon, but the repeatable nature in 2nd gear makes me question the specificity of the issue. Would a bad coil pack be able to cause such a specific issue? I didn't think moving the coils around would change anything, especially since I'm not chasing codes, but don't really know.

Anyone have any similar issues now or in their past? I don't have any history records for the car.

TIA!
Appreciate 0