2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Msport rear OR non msport rear?

04-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
AWF10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Msport rear OR non msport rear?

I did a msport front conversion last year and wondering if I should also do the rear. I have been debating back and forth last few months between just leaving my non msport rear bumper with diffuser painted gloss black and do quad exhaust with diffuser cutout OR change to oem msport rear and oem 550 diffuser with quads. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
walile
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Why not M5 rear diffuser with quad exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
AWF10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walile
Why not M5 rear diffuser with quad exhaust?
Yea. The m5 diffuser did cross my mind as well. I heard that the exhaust and tips would have to be mounted differently because of the diffuser openings in order for it to look right.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Sport - P1, P2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10 View Post
I did a msport front conversion last year and wondering if I should also do the rear. I have been debating back and forth last few months between just leaving my non msport rear bumper with diffuser painted gloss black and do quad exhaust with diffuser cutout OR change to oem msport rear and oem 550 diffuser with quads. What do you guys think?
I have asked myself the same question. I actually think the non m-sport rear bumper looks better. The only problem is accommodating the quad tips, which I want to do. I think blacking out the diffuser section and getting quads would look better than the m-sport. Lancaster had that look at one time, and it looked great!

Keep us posted with what you decide.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Three months ago I converted the front end with the plan of not doing the rear. But now that I am noticing the difference between standard and M rear, and I like them both! I have started to collect the parts for the rear conversion. I'm taking it very slow and shopping for the best values I can find ($200 for rear bumper cover and 535i diffuser) because I know deep down that this mod is just to have a sense of closure, or completeness, and is therefore not urgent, and certainly not worth paying retail prices for any of it.
Beside the reason, or rationalization, already mentioned, I also have an idea that a matched M front and rear will pull in a few more dollars if I ever sell the car.
So, I like the idea of something unique on the rear as you suggest, or mod'd to match the front, but if I am furloughed and lose income then this project will wait and I won't lose any sleep over its delay.
Does that make sense?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
AWF10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1
Quote:
I have asked myself the same question. I actually think the non m-sport rear bumper looks better. The only problem is accommodating the quad tips, which I want to do. I think blacking out the diffuser section and getting quads would look better than the m-sport. Lancaster had that look at one time, and it looked great!

Keep us posted with what you decide.
YeA. Agreed. I have a set of m6 quads with modified tips I'm planning to install. I would just have to get the rear diffuser cut since my diffuser is already painted. I do like the standard rear as well. Tough decision. It seems like not big enough difference in look besides more options for aftermarket diffuser with the msport rear.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
AWF10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos
Three months ago I converted the front end with the plan of not doing the rear. But now that I am noticing the difference between standard and M rear, and I like them both! I have started to collect the parts for the rear conversion. I'm taking it very slow and shopping for the best values I can find ($200 for rear bumper cover and 535i diffuser) because I know deep down that this mod is just to have a sense of closure, or completeness, and is therefore not urgent, and certainly not worth paying retail prices for any of it.
Beside the reason, or rationalization, already mentioned, I also have an idea that a matched M front and rear will pull in a few more dollars if I ever sell the car.
So, I like the idea of something unique on the rear as you suggest, or mod'd to match the front, but if I am furloughed and lose income then this project will wait and I won't lose any sleep over its delay.
Does that make sense?
Amen. I feel 100% the same!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #8
walile
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Yea. The m5 diffuser did cross my mind as well. I heard that the exhaust and tips would have to be mounted differently because of the diffuser openings in order for it to look right.
With the 550, you will need to install M5 exhaust as well due to the position of the tip. But it is a pretty simple bolt on if you have all the right parts. I have no idea what is required for the 535.

Personally I actually don't like the M-Sport rear, it just looks odd and neither sporty or classic in my opinion. Of course exterior styling is highly subjective.

Assuming that the M Sport has the same rear design after the LCI, my first mods will be putting in M5 rear diffuser and a take off M5 exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
AWF10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walile
Quote:
With the 550, you will need to install M5 exhaust as well due to the position of the tip. But it is a pretty simple bolt on if you have all the right parts. I have no idea what is required for the 535.

Personally I actually don't like the M-Sport rear, it just looks odd and neither sporty or classic in my opinion. Of course exterior styling is highly subjective.

Assuming that the M Sport has the same rear design after the LCI, my first mods will be putting in M5 rear diffuser and a take off M5 exhaust.
Defiantly can't go wrong with m5 diffuser + m5 exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:09 AM   #10
Terpinator
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 550i xDrive M Sport

Speaking of M5 exhausts, will any of the aftermarket M5 exausts mount up directly to the 550? I have an M-Sport and really like the Akropovic mufflers and would like to have those in the future.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

I had to replace my rear bumper thanks to some idiot at the grocery store. I debated keeping the Non M-Sport rear bumper, but since I had to replace the cover, I ended up ordering the M Sport bumper through my dealer and had my body shop install it. Since my car is Jet Black, the dark grey diffuser doesn't give much contrast to the car, but overall I do like it better. Kind of wish the idiot at the grocery store would have hit the front bumper though
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Well....your insurance company would never know whether the shopping cart hit you at 25 mph, or you hit the cart, unless you are one of those people who just looks guilty just for thinking about it...
:>
(Disclaimer: I am not suggesting that you defraud your insurance comapny! This is just a joke
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #13
AWF10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013
I had to replace my rear bumper thanks to some idiot at the grocery store. I debated keeping the Non M-Sport rear bumper, but since I had to replace the cover, I ended up ordering the M Sport bumper through my dealer and had my body shop install it. Since my car is Jet Black, the dark grey diffuser doesn't give much contrast to the car, but overall I do like it better. Kind of wish the idiot at the grocery store would have hit the front bumper though

Sorry hear about your car. Yea mine is alpine white so msport rear would be a lot more contrast. Also debating if I should just install my m6 quads I have or source out a set of f10 m5 quads.
Appreciate 0