2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK My new 535d :)

07-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #23
GMTRB5
Private
Rep
Drives: 535d M Sport

Have now done 1,100 miles which according to the handbook is nearly at the run in period (1,200 miles) .. out of curiosity does everyone else run their car in so carefully or not as worried about sticking religiously to this?

Tried the LED lights out properly the other night .. loving them!! The way they split the light beam around cars is very impressive!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #24
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTRB5 View Post
Have now done 1,100 miles which according to the handbook is nearly at the run in period (1,200 miles) .. out of curiosity does everyone else run their car in so carefully or not as worried about sticking religiously to this?

Tried the LED lights out properly the other night .. loving them!! The way they split the light beam around cars is very impressive!
I did follow the run-in.... well, I actually never floored it until about 2000 miles.

Even now, I ensure that the oil has heated up, temperature gauge is sitting comfortably in the middle - and only then do I really press it hard. It actually does not take long (especially in the summer), the gauge is at middle in under 3-4 miles of driving.

I have tried the Launch Control a few times and it is very deceiving. Sitting inside the car; you actually do not feel a lot, barring the massive acceleration surge; there are no histrionics or tyre shredding of the sort.... Outside the car, the spectator experience is quite different
      07-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #25
GMTRB5
Private
Rep

Yep me too, have always been very careful to not rev the engine over 3000 before the engine is fully to temperature ..

Got a couple more months before I've done enough miles to try launch control .. maybe I'll wait until about 1,500 before I floor it ... must stay patient!!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTRB5 View Post

I hope you are not running it in too carefully. A 535 will need a bit of work, (without excess revs), even during the running-in period, or it will be running too light to bed the rings. Once warm, at your mileage, shouldn't be an issue. Opinion is out there, (even from the car makers like Audi) that the running in phase is typically completed after 20 hours running (600 - 900 miles).

I recall when my 540i had a new engine, I had to be careful not to under work it in normal driving. (Hard to overwork a 4.4 litre engine in normal driving ). Doesn't mean you thrash a new engine, but moderation, variation in engine speed & load and progressively opening it up as the miles go on, can assist the bedding in process.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #27
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
As HighlandPete said, the running in period is more about being variable with the engine revs rather than just driving like a granny.

But I wouldn't worry too much. My last BMW was a 335D. For the first 1000 miles I was patient letting it warm up and making sure I didn't spend all day on the motorway with cruise control on but as soon as we reached 1000 miles that was it.

I owned the car for 4 years and put 80,000 miles on the clock and on the day it left, the engine still felt and sounded the same as the day it left the showroom.

These engines are strong. They have to be with that sort of power. But unless you are looking at this to be the last car you ever buy rather than trade it in 3 years or so, by now you should have taken off the training wheels and be enjoying the car for what it is.
      07-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #28
GMTRB5
Private
Rep

Good points from both of you, thanks have been variable with the revs and have tried to mix driving like a girl and sticking it in sport mode and giving it a bit more .. might just stop worrying about that and just enjoy it, as M@rk quite rightly points out, I'll probably be changing it within 4 years anyway, and I bet a lot of people just hammer it from day one and the cars never have a problem!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 05:02 AM   #29
happycow6171
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

I am thinking of a 535d msport touring, carbon black pan roof and a few toys, looking for some comments on how the car will drive, performance, economy, refinement, is adaptive drive a must?.
Appreciate 0