2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions My 2011 535xi steering wheel retrofit

11-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

My 2011 535xi steering wheel retrofit

Just a quick thread to document my very recent steering wheel retrofit.

I have a 2011 535xi with 205 (no paddles), heated wheel (248) and the base, thin, crappy steering wheel. I have no DHP handling, no COMFORT/SPORT switch, and I have the standard shifter.

I wanted a retrofit and started putting together an LCI M-Sport option (with the little round airbag) but nothing affordable was coming together for the whole thing.

I purchased a pre-LCI M5 wheel with tri-colour stitching, airbag and option 248 heat.

1/ disconnect battery negative terminal
2/ release airbag with slot head screwdriver through access hole in bottom of wheel
3/ disconnect main airbag connector. Be careful with the single yellow wire horn connector - you need to grab the little plastic loop and pull it TOWARD you (away from the dash). A lever will separate from the main connector and disconnect. It's really easy to mangle this connector trying to get it disconnected.
4/ 16mm bolt fastens wheel. Disconnect buttons and heater cable harnesses.
5/ reverse disassembly with replacement wheel
6/ snap airbag into place.
7/ power up the car
8/ Change VO 205->2TB. Write to vehicle and code to ICM and EGS.
9/ Go into SZL and look for Variantencodierung_2_2_1 and code to 'aktiv'

So far, so good. The SZL coding was not in many of the guides. Even harder to find was the Variantencodierung_2_2_1 part - as opposed to paddle related values (which my SZL didn't have).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
Dzbeslic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post

I have a 2011 535xi with 205 (no paddles), heated wheel (248) and the base, thin, crappy steering wheel. I have no DHP handling, no COMFORT/SPORT switch, and I have the standard shifter.

I wanted a retrofit and started putting together an LCI M-Sport option (with the little round airbag) but nothing affordable was coming together for the whole thing.

I purchased a pre-LCI M5 wheel with tri-colour stitching, airbag and option 248 heat.

2/ release airbag with slot head screwdriver through access hole in bottom of wheel
3/ disconnect main airbag connector. Be careful with the single yellow wire horn connector - you need to grab the little plastic loop and pull it TOWARD you (away from the dash). A lever will separate from the main connector and disconnect. It's really easy to mangle this connector trying to get it disconnected.
7/ power up the car

So far, so good. The SZL coding was not in many of the guides. Even harder to find was the Variantencodierung_2_2_1 part - as opposed to paddle related values (which my SZL didn't have).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post

7/ power up the car

Any pics?
What programmer did you use?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

No pics at this point. This wasn't meant to be a full step-by-step DIY guide and, in the end, it looks like any M5 steering wheel mounted in any F10

The modifications to VO and the SZL options were done with E-Sys.

Some guides that I saw when preparing to do this said to add 2TB to VO and that was it. other suggested that you needed to be sure that ICM and EGS were coded with the new VO (no other changes to the options). Far fewer guides talked about coding SZL and in most cases they documented SZLs with coding options clearly referring to paddles. My SZL had none of those options, but I found one thread mentioning Variantencodierung_2_2_1
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

can you give part # please?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 07:21 AM   #5
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Uhm - I didn't order by part#. It was from a USA M5 with steering wheel heat,paddles and nothing else. Probably 32337845948 as found here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_1866
Appreciate 0