2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding How to make display song info without navigate to device?

01-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #1
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

How to make display song info without navigate to device?

I am migrating from E class to 535i. Many things are new for me, however one thing is really annoying. I use to stream music from my Android phone. E class always displayed me a song info as in a dashboard as in a navigation screen after I set them in a manage media mode. However it is different for 535i. It starts streaming music automatically as I expect, however to get a song info displayed I have to each time either press a media button, or select a phone device using iDrive knob. I do not believe BMW did so stupid design and I believe I just can't set right option. Another question, I can see a song name in HUD at switching a play mode, but then I never see updates of songs. Is it possible also make HUD to display each time a song name when it is changed?

Another question, is there a way to cancel cruise control either than apply brakes, or simply turn cruise off? It was easy in Mercedes, but for some reason not obvious for BMW.

Last edited by MOCKBA; 01-04-2016 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
mragarg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA
I am migrating from E class to 535i. Many things are new for me, however one thing is really annoying. I use to stream music from my Android phone. E class always displayed me a song info as in a dashboard as in a navigation screen after I set them in a manage media mode. However it is different for 535i. It starts streaming music automatically as I expect, however to get a song info displayed I have to each time either press a media button, or select a phone device using iDrive knob. I do not believe BMW did so stupid design and I believe I just can't set right option. Another question, I can see a song name in HUD at switching a play mode, but then I never see updates of songs. Is it possible also make HUD to display each time a song name when it is changed?

Another question, is there a way to cancel cruise control either than apply brakes, or simply turn cruise off? It was easy in Mercedes, but for some reason not obvious for BMW.
Why not split screen?
1972 Mercedes Benz 280 SEL
2014 BMW 550i
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 04:21 PM   #3
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Past:'11 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post

Hit the cruise on/off button once. That will be the same as applying the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #4
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

The HUD can be coded to display the playlist, etc.

As far as automatically displaying the streaming media information on start up is a problem. The iDrive has many screens associated to many functions. When starting up, it tries to select the last known screen however the context may necessitate a mode change when the mode it is trying to select is unavailable. A good example of this is when a USB device has been changed since the last time the car was on. I don't use streaming media so I I've not experienced your issue first hand (I have with changed USB devices). I could very easily see the logic for the iDrive display during start up decide it can't go back to the streaming media screen because the Bluetooth connection hasn't completed with your phone at the decision moment and therefore considers the screen to invalid under that context.

As far as the cruise control goes simply hit the cruise power button once and the cruise is disengaged as you would expect (the cruise symbol will be visible on the dash and as stated above by UA_civ_eng). Hitting the resume will reengage the cruise. Hitting the power button twice will turn it off (the cruise symbol will turn off).
      01-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #5
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Yes, it makes sense. I guess a major mistake of BMW is to make a song info connected to a specific audio source than make it generic. I understand that they wanted to apply some difference, for example BT can't transfer artwork, when USB can.

What does it mean coded? Can I do it myself or I have to ask a dealer?
      01-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #6
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

Coding can be done by yourself with a special cable and software or you can have it coded remotely (this still requires the use of a special cable and remote access software on your laptop). You can do a lot things through coding (i.e. auto fold mirrors, modify the display of the HUD, iDrive, etc., add new features, etc.). Take a look here to read up on it http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175