2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Focal + JL Audio stereo upgrade

01-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
Vlad_radu_m
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 520D

Focal + JL Audio stereo upgrade

Hey guys,
I own a 520d with the awfull stereo sound system (european). 4 speakers and 2 subs under the seats.

I just replaced the 4 speakers with Focal Components so now i have 4 mids + 4 twitters +the subs (with Focal as well). Pricely but the difference is amaizing !!

Now I need to add an amplifier so I got a JL Audio Xd600/6. I am still waiting to receive it but I have no ideea of what to do with it.
Speakers were installed by me without any problems but I would not DIY the amp. Problem is that I am in Romania and I don't know any good installers that I might go to.

Since my car was not equipped with an amp, there is probably no cabling done so I have to do everything by myself. And here is where the problems start..

I want to be able to use Fade/Balance controls from the dash board. In this case, where should I get the signal from? Do I have to run 4 channels from the dash to the amp? And then from the amp to each speaker?

And after this, I understand that I have to get the car coded..right?

Any help would be much appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 05:51 AM   #2
msfive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 5281

Fist you need to find a harness (like tech harness)Than if you want to sound really good you need to get a processor.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 10:22 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

You really need to search these forums as there's plenty of good info on what needs to be done. If you look on the same page u would see this. Read it and you will get your answers there. Sounds like you're heading in the right direction with speaker choice but read the thread I linked here
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1172730
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 12:19 PM   #4
Vlad_radu_m
Registered
Rep

I read the post but didn't actually answer my questions.

What kind of processor? Any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 04:07 PM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

there's 11 pages of info...as far as DSP'S you can go Bimmertech, Mosconi, ect...

if you go with the Bimmertech it's plug n play so you don't have to hack up your wires! but i believe you will need to code

here's what Nelson from Bimmertech had to say:

In the US BMW offers 2 branded sound systems on F10. HIFI and Top Hifi aka Logic7 aka Harman kardon.

In Europe and pretty much the rest of he world there's 3 options. Base Stereo, Hifi and Top Hifi.

Looks like you're in the UK and i'm gonna assume you indeed have the Base Stereo system(if you don't have tweeters in the door sail panels you have the base system and amp in the trunk)

For our amp upgrade you will need our Base stereo to Hifi harness, oem amp bracket and car will need to be recoded to hifi. You will also need to upgrade your front speakers to something thats decent decent and new tweeter sail panels.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 02-06-2016 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 03:32 AM   #6
Vlad_radu_m
Registered
Rep

Had no ideea technic is making a harness for the stereo system. I will contact him right away
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 04:32 PM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad_radu_m View Post
Had no ideea technic is making a harness for the stereo system. I will contact him right away
Appreciate 0