2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Bavaudio Review

07-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

Bavaudio Review

So, I took the plunge this past weekend and installed the Bavaudio speaker upgrade for my premium sound system in my 2013 BMW 550 xi Msport. WHAT a difference in sound! You can now turn the volume all the way up in the car and not an OUNCE of distortion. Also, the highs are crisp and clear, something I felt was missing from the Made in France OEM speakers.

The front and rear installation was a breeze. The side doors had a stumbling point of the lower middle retainer clip of the door handle cover not coming off without damaging the plastic rectangular retainer which is part of the door panel. Not a big deal since the front and rear tabs hold the door handle cover on nicely, but it is something to be weary of when you are installing.

Now, the back doors are a different story. What BavAudio does not tell you is that if you have the rear door shades, you have to remove the horizontal small shade as an entire assembly first (which comes off easily with plastic pry tool) and THEN you pop the plastic door rivets loose. For whatever reason, the rear doors require like 4 times the pressure to make them pop loose, but, other than removing the small windows side shade, they do come off the same as the front door. Just ONE 30mm screw versus the two in the front doors.

What I did, and what I advise, is while you have the door panels off, put sound deadening material on the back of the leather door trip pieces. Especially the plastic storage tray area, these panel conduct road noise and degrade speaker performance. It takes about 45 minutes a door to put on the insulation, but you will be rewarded with outstanding protection from road noise and a noticeable improvement from the speakers. I would also suggest that you use a piece of your sound deadening scraps to attach the included tweeter resistor to the panel so it does not rattle around while you are driving.

There are alot of people that have said "go buy aftermarket speakers" or "but this, buy that" or "Bavaudio is too expensive". But, having a kit that is completely PLUG AND PLAY, has everything you need to do an install, and sounds amazing is just worth the ~$750.00 when you consider you are getting 14 speakers in the kit.

The mid range speakers are 3-4 times in size for the magnet and the speaker material is not paper like OEM speakers. The tweeters are all either screw in or snap in depending if you are installing in the doors or F/R panels. Just nice to have everything right there with no modification needed to make the install go quickly.

If you don't do the sound deadening, probably a 1-1.5 hour install. If you do decide to go with the sound deadening, use a piece of newspaper or thicker tracing paper to ensure you cut out holes for the wiring harness tab holes, door handle, speaker(s) and 30mm bolt hole. You can use the same template from drivers door over to passenger door by reversing the template. Just note on the front drivers door, you will need to add one extra opening for the window control area.

There is plenty of clearance for sound deadening, do you can be liberal about the placement of it. Just make sure you stay inside the white plastic mounting tabs on the door panel.

I put my material across the Top of the panel and then on the Lower storage slot area since that tends to conduct a lot of road noise.

Overall, BavAudio speaker upgrade is worth EVERY penny for both sound quality and ease of installation. Best $753.00 you can spend on the improvement of sound system!
Attached Images

Last edited by mikekilpatrick; 07-12-2015 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
skydiver22
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Wow... Nice work... Did you complete all the sound deadening by ordering one unit of sound deadening materiel??? I want to say its like 6ft.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

No, I had a package of 5 pieces (I think 16 sq feet), I was going to use on a different car but never used them. So I put it on this car when I did the speaker upgrade. Each piece was 18"x 32". I have SOME leftover, maybe enough to do 1 or 2 more storage pockets.

BavAudio sells kits and you can also purchase kits on Amazon with 5 pieces. The thickness on these was .087 inches. So pretty thick material.

Very easy to apply, but I did wipe down the plastic storage areas with rubbing alcohol to ensure adhesion.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

The only thing is they lack a sub replacement? There's many people who have gone with the Bav and came back here to post there reviews. Some post that it does sound better than before where others post it's Okay. I don't know if you're an avid audio guy who loves audio or just a regular guy who just wants something better than what the car came with? Everybody Here's things differently. For me I want clean highs and mids. I want clean hard bass. Not a ported booming bass but a Nice sealed enclosure type bass. For those that know the difference u know what I mean. I've been waiting for awhile now because rumor has it that bav had something in the works for a sub? But nothing yet So it Looks like I may have to go aftermarket.

Glad u like your setup and appreciate ur review! any plans on changing out those 8's under your seat or leave em'?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #5
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
The only thing is they lack a sub replacement? There's many people who have gone with the Bav and came back here to post there reviews. Some post that it does sound better than before where others post it's Okay. I don't know if you're an avid audio guy who loves audio or just a regular guy who just wants something better than what the car came with? Everybody Here's things differently. For me I want clean highs and mids. I want clean hard bass. Not a ported booming bass but a Nice sealed enclosure type bass. For those that know the difference u know what I mean. I've been waiting for awhile now because rumor has it that bav had something in the works for a sub? But nothing yet So it Looks like I may have to go aftermarket.

Glad u like your setup and appreciate ur review! any plans on changing out those 8's under your seat or leave em'?

I consider myself an audiophile. I can go into a concert venue and tell the sound person where they are not balancing out the sound properly. lol

So, when I say these speakers sound good, THEY SOUND GREAT! I can now turn this system up to full throttle and not have the highs and mids muffled by the speakers being overwhelmed. I want to replace the subs because I don't thing the OEM subs are to the expectations I would want to hear, but they are sufficient for this system to be 90% of what I want. Maybe 80%.

BavAudio is supposed to come out with a Sub system and I volunteered to be a Beta tester and help design an installation procedure if they would like my help. Being a car guy of 30 years, there really isn't any kind of project I cant do on a car, AND do it better than any shop. lol

I can say this, if you buy these speakers, you wont be disappointed. Honestly, this is the best $700.00 I have spent in a while. Your Jazz stations (if you listen to Jazz) will make the symbols sound crisp and clear and if you put on a dance music station (such as BPM or similar) you will have the thumping through OEM subs to a reasonable satisfaction, and mid to high range that would please the most picky of music listeners. Of course, in my opinion. Plug and play ease of install, LARGE magnets on the speakers for better pull, and very high quality speaker material.

I mean, you hold an OEM speaker in one hand and the BAV in the other, they are Night and day in weight. And if you are sound guy too, you know a quality speaker has some weight to it.

I would seriously like to put up a B&O factory system against this speaker upgrade. I can honestly say, I am completely satisfied with the mid and high sound of my car now, subs are not quite as deep as I would like, but for now, I can live with it.

Last edited by mikekilpatrick; 07-10-2015 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
I consider myself an audiophile. I can go into a concert venue and tell the sound person where they are not balancing out the sound properly. lol

So, when I say these speakers sound good, THEY SOUND GREAT! I can now turn this system up to full throttle and not have the highs and mids muffled by the speakers being overwhelmed. I want to replace the subs because I don't thing the OEM subs are to the expectations I would want to hear, but they are sufficient for this system to be 90% of what I want. Maybe 80%.

BavAudio is supposed to come out with a Sub system and I volunteered to be a Beta tester and help design an installation procedure if they would like my help. Being a car guy of 30 years, there really isn't any kind of project I cant do on a car, AND do it better than any shop. lol

I can say this, if you buy these speakers, you wont be disappointed. Honestly, this is the best $700.00 I have spent in a while. Your Jazz stations (if you listen to Jazz) will make the symbols sound crisp and clear and if you put on a dance music station (such as BPM or similar) you will have the thumping through OEM subs to a reasonable satisfaction, and mid to high range that would please the most picky of music listeners. Of course, in my opinion. Plug and play ease of install, LARGE magnets on the speakers for better pull, and very high quality speaker material.

I mean, you hold an OEM speaker in one hand and the BAV in the other, they are Night and day in weight. And if you are sound guy too, you know a quality speaker has some weight to it.

I would seriously like to put up a B&O factory system against this speaker upgrade. I can honestly say, I am completely satisfied with the mid and high sound of my car now, subs are not quite as deep as I would like, but for now, I can live with it.
Wow! by far of all Bav related threads u convinced me LOL! Yes I love music and it's only best listened to when u have the right setup. it's funny cause I listen to alot of Electronic Music (EDC), Rap and believe it or not but the Band geek in me i still listen to alot of Drum Corps International from my Santa Clara Vanguard days haha! There's no where here in Ohio to be able to hear the Bavs in person as most dealers don't stock them. So glad u gave ur honest impression of these but what would u recommended to take care of the lower end? Simple swapping of the factory subs to something else while using the factory amp? Oh...u mentioned ur being uses as a beta tester... care to give us insight or do we have to wait years LOL!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 02:25 AM   #7
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Wow! by far of all Bav related threads u convinced me LOL! Yes I love music and it's only best listened to when u have the right setup. it's funny cause I listen to alot of Electronic Music (EDC), Rap and believe it or not but the Band geek in me i still listen to alot of Drum Corps International from my Santa Clara Vanguard days haha! There's no where here in Ohio to be able to hear the Bavs in person as most dealers don't stock them. So glad u gave ur honest impression of these but what would u recommended to take care of the lower end? Simple swapping of the factory subs to something else while using the factory amp? Oh...u mentioned ur being uses as a beta tester... care to give us insight or do we have to wait years LOL!
Oh, they have not told me anything about beta testing. I just offered my car up to them if they eventually carry the subs, which I think they will in my opinion. I don't see why replacing the subs with OEM amp would not have the same quality boost as the mids and tweeters in my opinion. Some people have purchased Rockford Fosgate and I saw a pair of the Bang and Olfsen on Ebay, but they are like 500.00 each. Also not sure if they are compatible with F10 standard amp.

For now, I am happy with the subs and then mid/tweeter upgrade. I will give them 6 months to come out with a sub system, if not, I will pull one of my factory subs and start researching replacements with same Ohms. I figured some sound deadening in the sub chamber along with speaker replacement will wake them up as well.

...Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 08:39 AM   #8
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

It might be implied, but did your car originally have the base system or the better system? I'm remarkably happy with my base system (given the nasty reviews I wasn't expecting much!) but over the years I've found I appreciate upgraded speakers surprisingly often when driving so this sytem is on my short list.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell View Post
It might be implied, but did your car originally have the base system or the better system? I'm remarkably happy with my base system (given the nasty reviews I wasn't expecting much!) but over the years I've found I appreciate upgraded speakers surprisingly often when driving so this sytem is on my short list.
I've always ended up upgrading the system in all my cars. Some people are content with the factory audio but geez...the audio in the BMW just blows! For the cost we pay u would at least think the audio system in a BMW should be awesome if not great! But from multiple car reviews BMW dropped the ball in that department and year after year Seems like nothings changed. I appreciate music in all aspects but my BMW does not give that
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 12:03 AM   #10
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

I actually had the PREMIUM audio in my car. Speakers were stamped "made in France". I have read on the forums people having speakers of made in China or Taiwan, not sure if that is a different model or base stereo.

I was waiting at a local restaurant last night, waiting for a buddy of mine to meet up and follow me to see Ted2. BPM had their Saturday night dance party on and I kept worrying about getting a ticket from the local cops, for too loud of music blaring. lol Kept thinking to myself, "My God this system sounds good now". As I said in the beginning of this review, I am sure there are more expensive options, yes you can upgrade the car to B&O retrofit and you can wire your own speakers into the car. But for $700.00 and getting 14 speakers that are plug and play. AND you can turn the volume ALL the way up with no distortion, I just don't think there is a better option out their for this car.

Last edited by mikekilpatrick; 07-12-2015 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #11
skydiver22
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I actually had the PREMIUM audio in my car. Speakers were stamped "made in France". I have read on the forums people having speakers of made in China or Taiwan, not sure if that is a different model or base stereo.

I was waiting at a local restaurant last night, waiting for a buddy of mine to meet up and follow me to see Ted2. BPM had their Saturday night dance party on and I kept worrying about getting a ticket from the local cops, for too loud of music blaring. lol Kept thinking to myself, "My God this system sounds good now". As I said in the beginning of this review, I am sure there are more expensive options, yes you can upgrade the car to B&O retrofit and you can wire your own speakers into the car. But for $700.00 and getting 14 speakers that are plug and play. AND you can turn the volume ALL the way up with no distortion, I just don't think there is a better option out their for this car.

Thanks for all the great info and helping make the decision to buy the kit... when I plug in my F10 it looks like it will cost me 837. How did you get it for 700. My budget of 700. out the door with the tool kit is my max. Hopefully the price come down a little.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #12
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

They were running a sale when I purchased it. I am also a Military Veteran, so I believe they support the troops. Actually the full price was of my order was $753.00. So I rounded down a bit.

...Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 08:20 PM   #13
korrosive
Rep
Drives: F10

Garage List
2012 BMW 535ix  [0.00]
I second this review. Picked up a new-to-me f10 with the standard hifi system and I could not be happier with the quality of the stage 1 upgrade. Emailed them about the subs and they responded that those will be out in November.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #14
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrosive View Post
I second this review. Picked up a new-to-me f10 with the standard hifi system and I could not be happier with the quality of the stage 1 upgrade. Emailed them about the subs and they responded that those will be out in November.
Oh sweet! Hope it's true!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 11:25 PM   #15
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Do I smell a Christmas present to myself???? lol
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #16
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do I smell a Christmas present to myself???? lol
I know right?!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 07:51 AM   #17
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I was curious...regarding quality does Bav compared to higher end speakers like Focal, MB Quartz, Hertz, ect? Because I've done systems on all my cars but I've never heard of Bav until I got my BMW and I don't want to pay more just for the simple fact it's plug n play.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #18
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

The specs on the speakers are: 32 watts @ 2.6 ohms - Midbass, 24 watts @ 8 ohms - Midrange, 12 watts @ 6 ohms - Tweeter

Goto https://www.bavsound.com/Stage-One/FAQ/ to check out any questions you might have. They have a 30 day guarantee if you any doubts. All I can personally say is you plug these in, you will not regret 1 dollar of your money spent on the speaker upgrade. There is QUALITY behind this product...And a 4 YEAR warranty says it all.

Last edited by mikekilpatrick; 07-19-2015 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #19
tree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6

I'm still loving mine! I also heard subs out in November. I'm ready to go. I think the guys at BAV know what they are doing. I've had JBL, Infinity, Alpine, MB Quart in different cars. Even had an e39 M5 with the M audio pkg. My f10 sounds better than all of those.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 05:13 AM   #20
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Yeah, it is amazing just how good our OEM amps sound on these speakers. Zero distortion when the radio is cranked. I think BAVAUDIO has hit a home run with there product. Then again, they are partnered with Dinan for Marketing.

...Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #21
skydiver22
Private
United_States
Rep

Bought the stage 1 kit, it arrived yesterday. Decided to install the center, and rear deck speakers, 6 in all, last night after dinner. Took about 40 minutes to install them. I can already tell a big difference and I still need to mount the door speakers... 8 more to go. Glad I bought the kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #22
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Yes, you will not be disappointed with this upgrade. Worth every penny in my opinion.
Appreciate 0