2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Problems with manual 550 at low rpms

09-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #23
Bucaro
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
Did you buy the car new? A demo with a few miles on it could have been abused. A clutch is such a simple mechanism that there is no real mistery as to how it happens when one is burnt out. I would also take the "badly burned" statement with a grain of salt. Perhaps the new clutch will resolve it and I wish you luck but I'm betting that the clutch replacement will not fix it - I hope I'm wrong.
Yes, I bought it new, built to order. It had less than 15 miles on it when I took delivery. I hope the issue is resolved with the new clutch. I should get it back sometime this week (clutch had to be ordered from Germany)...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #24
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Has the dealer test driven the car and agreed with you? The reason why I'm asking is because I noticed in my E92 M3 that in first gear, the clutch grab if released a bit too early when applying gas would cause the car to jerk and stutter sometimes violently before moving forward and fully engaging. It would happen to me when I sat too far back or am tired and my clutch engagement was off. Similar to how the SMG would jerk in the first gear. Most people who tried my car for the first time would end up doing the same and ask wtf? I have owned Manual transmission cars all my life including Evo's, M3's to my current GT3RS and have done countless track days on them and my motorcycles without ever burning a clutch. I've also leased a 550i 6mt sport and never experienced in this car. It was only in the current m3. I simply adjusted how i drove it and never had an issue. I believe there ate a few threads like this in the m3 forums. Regarding cdv, reflashing to just plain, you're driving it wrong. Figured I throw that in there
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #25
jordan0000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i / 2011 X6 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
I tried to replicate this and was unable to do so with my car. I do have a modified CDV installed though, not sure if that makes a difference.
Talk to me about the modified CDV. What's the deal with that? Someone suggested I get that, which I did, but I haven't had it installed yet.
      09-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #26
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan0000 View Post
Talk to me about the modified CDV. What's the deal with that? Someone suggested I get that, which I did, but I haven't had it installed yet.
Read here: http://zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

Makes the clutch engagement much more responsive to what you are doing with your left foot.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #27
jordan0000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i / 2011 X6 5.0i

Quote:
Read here: http://zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

Makes the clutch engagement much more responsive to what you are doing with your left foot.
Okay cool - was looking for confirmation. I bought this thing from them, and it has been sitting on the workbench in my garage for about 6 months. Sounds like you found it to be worthwhile (?) so I'll have it installed.

Thanks
      11-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #28
Bucaro
Private
United_States
Rep

(Update):
So after three trips to the dealer, the issue has not been resolved. First visit, they "updated the software", no results. Second visit, rode with a tech, who replicated the issue. They kept the car two weeks, dropped the transmission and found the "badly burned clutch", which was replaced "as a show of good will" by BMW. No results, either. Third time around, they asked me to bring the car only when the BMW rep would be able to drive it. Again, I rode with the service advisor, who replicated the issue. The BMW rep came, drove it, and left me the message (with the service advisor) "not to drive the car in comfort mode, but only in sport mode"!!! and not let it drop below 2,000 rpms... He did not even talk to me in person and when I asked to speak with him he "was gone already". I called BMWNA costumer service and voiced my concerns and dissatisfaction. I then got a called from my dealership stating that BMW had agreed to do a "trade assist" so I could move to a different car. What I don't like is that they have to appraise my car and then see what car I want and then they will "apply a formula" to come up with the numbers... By now I just want to move onto a M5, but I do not want to loose a lot of money. If the numbers are not right I will try to lemon the car. What do you guys think?
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #29
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Get a new one.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #30
Bucaro
Private
United_States
Rep

I know. That's what I want but I don't know if BMW is going to really help me or not...
I checked into the lemon law in Texas and it states that the car needs to have a catastrophic problem that is "life threatening" in order to qualify. I doubt this will qualify...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #31
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
It's a 2012 550i? I'd call BMW NA and ask for details on their offer. With the car being not fixable after 3 tries and a transmission drop I'd seriously start pushing for a new car and would gently hint to BMW I would like for them to "loan" me an M5 for about 36-48mo! LOL

As for the trade assist...sounds like they will see what you paid for your car, what its current value is and come up with a number in between which they will apply towards another car on the lot/available. Numbers will depend in part on what you choose and what they give you. However in this case they shouldn't low ball you on your car and don't let them. Your bank is where you may have the problem IF you financed it and don't have GAP insurance or something similar. Had similiar issues with my wife's Panamera when it was having electronics issues and also just had both an oil and coolant failure in the engine. Normally if finance the bank can accept a "transfer/trade of assests" on your part IF the dealer gives you another vehicle but some restrictions may apply. My lender said the new car [if so offered] would have to be the exact same model and options and cost for them to do so! Otherwise they'd have to do a whole new loan and your car would have to be purchased back by the dealer and any loans paid off in full. So that may or may not be a problem for you. Just be advised and ask those questions as you start to explore their "trade assist" offers!

In all they should be very eager to stand behind their product and help you out. Porsche not only fixed the car under warranty but gave us an extended warranty thru 6yrs/100k and an additional cash $$ voucher to use for Porsche products and/or service as desired. Very impressed. Good luck guys.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #32
Bucaro
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for replying...
I'm still waiting to hear the numbers from BMW. They appraised my car and I preordered an M5 (which by now has already been produced). What I hope for is that, whatever amount under what's owed to BMW financial my car is worth, they take off the MSRP for the M5. I think that would be fair. They would be taking a hit for the depreciation of my car but they would be selling an M5 to a long-term costumer who is a BMW advocate and has virtually sold several BMW's for them... They would also be creating a lot of good will...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #33
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanpgomez2 View Post
Thanks for replying...
I'm still waiting to hear the numbers from BMW. They appraised my car and I preordered an M5 (which by now has already been produced). What I hope for is that, whatever amount under what's owed to BMW financial my car is worth, they take off the MSRP for the M5. I think that would be fair. They would be taking a hit for the depreciation of my car but they would be selling an M5 to a long-term costumer who is a BMW advocate and has virtually sold several BMW's for them... They would also be creating a lot of good will...
Congrats to you on the M5! My guess tho is that they'll give you a very fair amount for your car and will likely take any equity you already have and apply it towards the new M5 for sure. No problem there. Where it will get tricky is IF there is NO equity in your car then what? They will either buy it back at 100% retail book value and let you into an '13 M5 from there at a good rate via BMW Financial if you go with them OR some other arrangement but I don't think they're gonna sell you the M5 at anywhere significantly under the MSRP. Still too much demand for them there and they offered to fix your car and warranty it. If there is a great deal off equity difference then they would likely say you could get another 550i (especially a 2012 one which are selling discounted) to make up the difference and that IF you go with the upgrade to the M5 it will be on your dime NOT theirs. They could even offer you an identical F10 550i but with an auto transmission this time and be even.

Like I said you hope for loyalty and good will to a long term customer but from what I've seen when this has been done...the trade UP in class is not usually at the dealer/manufacturer's expense. They may break even but they will not loose a significant some on this either. Good luck man and keep up in the loop!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #34
Bucaro
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Congrats to you on the M5! My guess tho is that they'll give you a very fair amount for your car and will likely take any equity you already have and apply it towards the new M5 for sure. No problem there. Where it will get tricky is IF there is NO equity in your car then what? They will either buy it back at 100% retail book value and let you into an '13 M5 from there at a good rate via BMW Financial if you go with them OR some other arrangement but I don't think they're gonna sell you the M5 at anywhere significantly under the MSRP. Still too much demand for them there and they offered to fix your car and warranty it. If there is a great deal off equity difference then they would likely say you could get another 550i (especially a 2012 one which are selling discounted) to make up the difference and that IF you go with the upgrade to the M5 it will be on your dime NOT theirs. They could even offer you an identical F10 550i but with an auto transmission this time and be even.

Like I said you hope for loyalty and good will to a long term customer but from what I've seen when this has been done...the trade UP in class is not usually at the dealer/manufacturer's expense. They may break even but they will not loose a significant some on this either. Good luck man and keep up in the loop!
Thanks, I know I don't have any equity on my 550 because it is a lease... I know I have to pay for the upgrade, but I would like to minimize the loss. The demand for the M5 is high, but my local dealership just got 2 M5s on the lot last week, which have not been sold (different config. from what I want). There are 5 BMW dealerships in Houston (5 hours from here), and one of those has 6 M5's sitting on their lot. The other 4 dealerships have at least one, so I think the demand is not too high down here...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #35
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanpgomez2 View Post
Thanks, I know I don't have any equity on my 550 because it is a lease... I know I have to pay for the upgrade, but I would like to minimize the loss. The demand for the M5 is high, but my local dealership just got 2 M5s on the lot last week, which have not been sold (different config. from what I want). There are 5 BMW dealerships in Houston (5 hours from here), and one of those has 6 M5's sitting on their lot. The other 4 dealerships have at least one, so I think the demand is not too high down here...
Either that or prices are too high! LOL My dealership here in WA had two but both were sold when I got my 550i in Aug otherwise I would have probably bit the bullet also. Same thing happened with the e92 M3 when it was released and even though there were cars on the lot in certain areas dealers held onto them rather than let them go at a decent price for believed profits later.

But as you mention Houston isn't LA so best wishes again for you in your trade up! We're all rooting for you man! Hopefully the price delta between your new M5 and what they give you for your 550 won't be too great and your loss will be minimized. If not and its doe-able from a $$ standpoint go ahead and take the deal. It may be painful from an equity/lost $$ standpoint but hey at least some of the pain will go away each time you hit the M button and/or depress your right foot man! And don't forget posted pics are mandatory when you get your new ride!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #36
Bucaro
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you man, I get palpitations each time I think I will be able to trade up! That alone tells me that if it is doable I for sure will... I will keep you posted...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #37
Bucaro
Private
United_States
Rep

RESOLVED!
Finally, after much anticipation, my M5 arrived. BMW discounted from the M5's MSRP the amount of money I was under on the 550's lease. Then, they gave me the $2,000 Holiday incentive and the $750 BMW loyalty discount. So, in effect, I ended up getting out of the 550 without problems and into an M5 with a $2,750 discount. Couldn't have asked for anything more and I am very pleased that BMW stood by their product and did everything they needed in order to keep their customer happy!
Thanks to all of the people who replied to my posts!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #38
OzDriver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: '13 535i & '08 530i

Good result - glad they looked after you
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #39
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucaro View Post
RESOLVED!
Finally, after much anticipation, my M5 arrived. BMW discounted from the M5's MSRP the amount of money I was under on the 550's lease. Then, they gave me the $2,000 Holiday incentive and the $750 BMW loyalty discount. So, in effect, I ended up getting out of the 550 without problems and into an M5 with a $2,750 discount. Couldn't have asked for anything more and I am very pleased that BMW stood by their product and did everything they needed in order to keep their customer happy!
Thanks to all of the people who replied to my posts!
Congrats but you KNOW that this last post is worthless without pics! LOL Otherwise enjoy man
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #40
Rbembas_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I tried to replicate this and was unable to do so with my car. I do have a modified CDV installed though, not sure if that makes a difference.
What does the modified CDV do?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #41
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbembas535i View Post
What does the modified CDV do?
http://zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #42
Bucaro
Private
United_States
Rep

Sorry about the lack of pics. I will post them soon...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #43
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Did you get an automatic this time? If manual, how do you compare the shifter action to your 550? I haven't been able to find a manual M5 for a test drive. If I get mine it will be manual for sure
Appreciate 0