2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Cleaning Leather?

08-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #23
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabypr View Post
I ordered the CG's leather kit and serum and I wanna see the results. Thxs for sharing your experiences.
Absolutely! You'll love it and I'm a Meguiars guy lol! Let.me know.how the serum works out for you
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 09:42 AM   #24
x5mannn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 4.8

I use 3 in 1 leather cleaner from Griots garage for the msports steering wheel and seats. It works well
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #25
Barry9020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19 m550i

I use meguiars cleaner and conditioner and it works really well except sometimes i may apply to much and dont wipe it properly so some parts will be shinier then the other. Other then that it does work very well especially in the back seats where the seats arenr perforated. My question is am i applying it wrong? I usually spray a little bit on to the seats and clean off with a microfiber towel. I dont think i can use a brush to really scrub it in cuz its not really a liquid its almost like a cream about the same texture as lotion.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...baL&ref=plSrch
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 04:08 PM   #26
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i will say after using Meguiar's and switching over the CG Meguiar's seems a bit greasy to me as i can still wipe my finger over it and have residue on my fingers. with the CG same affect but without the residue or greasy/glossy look. after using CG for the last few months i will say the leather looks more natural looking as well as looking clean and healthy vs shiney and what not from the Meguiar leather cleaner.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #27
Desmond79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i, 2009 328i

I also bought into some of the CG - Leather Cleaner , Conditioner, and Serum. Bought a bunch of their brushes - decent price.

And I'm an old Zaino Guy - nothing smells like leather than their conditioner. Will still get Zaino polish.

But I'll try the CG.

And in the Spring, I need to look at the ceramics for the Jet Black - it may take 2-3 days for the Porters and the right pad and polish to knock out 3 yrs of swirls.

2009 328i 6 spd stick, Crimson Red/Sport Suspension, Bavsound Stage 1, 2

Former BMWs: '79 320i, '84 325e, 2000 328i, 2014 535i
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #28
Barry9020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i will say after using Meguiar's and switching over the CG Meguiar's seems a bit greasy to me as i can still wipe my finger over it and have residue on my fingers. with the CG same affect but without the residue or greasy/glossy look. after using CG for the last few months i will say the leather looks more natural looking as well as looking clean and healthy vs shiney and what not from the Meguiar leather cleaner.
How were you applying the meguiars? With a microfiber towel? Might jus have to finish up the meguiars bottle and move on to chemical guys i jus like the simplicity of having a 2 in 1 of the meguiars cleaner& condtioner also. Might apply with a aplicator pad and see how that goes
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #29
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

since i switched over to CG i've only had the use the leather cleaner once and i used the square brush i picked up from CG to scrub the leather. than once a month i just use the conditioner with a microfiber pad and presto...clean and new again. i've use Meguiar's for 10+ years and i can totally tell that using CG just makes leather seem or look more healthy...kinda hard to explain lol.

and don't forget the Stripper scent! combined with the leather holy $hit balls! it's a party!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #30
mdourney
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535

Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner - damage? staining?

Hi, all - first time poster, so apologies if this is covered.

I recently used Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner (recommended here and other places) and had a bit of an issue that is confounding to me at least. My 2012 BMW 535 has beige dakota leather.

I tested the cleaner on the armrest using a soft horse-hair brush. The cleaner did a great job on the flat surface of the armrest, however, near the handle area (where you pull the door closed), black marks began to appear. I can't tell if grime and grease from the handle moved to the leather or if there was some sort of oxidation or something, but it now looks awful. I tried a few other products to try to get it clean, including Lexol and a leather stain remover to no avail.

I imagine the Chemical Guys product has been well tested, so I would be surprised if that is the issue. The spots feel a little greasy to the touch, but I'm wondering if the finish came off or something odd happened.

I've attached a few photos. I don't have a "before" photo, but trust me -- the leather was slightly dirty, but not too bad really, and certainly not an eyesore like it is now.

I'm very upset about this. I try to keep my car in great condition. Any advice from the forum is so greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mike
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #31
Desmond79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdourney View Post
Hi, all - first time poster, so apologies if this is covered.

I recently used Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner (recommended here and other places) and had a bit of an issue that is confounding to me at least. My 2012 BMW 535 has beige dakota leather.

I tested the cleaner on the armrest using a soft horse-hair brush. The cleaner did a great job on the flat surface of the armrest, however, near the handle area (where you pull the door closed), black marks began to appear. I can't tell if grime and grease from the handle moved to the leather or if there was some sort of oxidation or something, but it now looks awful. I tried a few other products to try to get it clean, including Lexol and a leather stain remover to no avail.

I imagine the Chemical Guys product has been well tested, so I would be surprised if that is the issue. The spots feel a little greasy to the touch, but I'm wondering if the finish came off or something odd happened.

I've attached a few photos. I don't have a "before" photo, but trust me -- the leather was slightly dirty, but not too bad really, and certainly not an eyesore like it is now.

I'm very upset about this. I try to keep my car in great condition. Any advice from the forum is so greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mike

I wonder if the dye has worn on an area that is frequently used.

If so, this helped me on black Dakota leater that was worn. I found that once the dye wear off, you will have to reapply dye to worn areas - insepct and reapply.

https://www.seatdoctors.com/diy-leat...KSJRoCFmHw_wcB

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 03:13 PM   #32
mdourney
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmondF10 View Post
I wonder if the dye has worn on an area that is frequently used.

If so, this helped me on black Dakota leater that was worn. I found that once the dye wear off, you will have to reapply dye to worn areas - insepct and reapply.

https://www.seatdoctors.com/diy-leat...KSJRoCFmHw_wcB
The dye has worn for sure on the top part of the stain, more so because I over did it when trying to get the black stain off. The pigment came off with too much abrasion.

That said, the area looked fine previously, and I really did not push too hard with the brush. This was a horsehair soft brush, brand new from Chemical Guys via Amazon, and I really just rubbed a bit to lather the Chemical Guys cleaner. I must have just overdone it with the area already thinned out from use.

All that said, I am certainly gun shy in terms of using any type of brush for agitation. Should I have diluted the Chemical Guys cleaner? I'm gun shy there as well...I'll read the forum for other recommendations, but if you have anything that comes to mind for the dakota leather, let me know.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get an appt at the dealer to take care of my eyesore, assuming they have a guy who can recondition the spot to look better than I can trying to do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #33
Desmond79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdourney View Post
The dye has worn for sure on the top part of the stain, more so because I over did it when trying to get the black stain off. The pigment came off with too much abrasion.

That said, the area looked fine previously, and I really did not push too hard with the brush. This was a horsehair soft brush, brand new from Chemical Guys via Amazon, and I really just rubbed a bit to lather the Chemical Guys cleaner. I must have just overdone it with the area already thinned out from use.

All that said, I am certainly gun shy in terms of using any type of brush for agitation. Should I have diluted the Chemical Guys cleaner? I'm gun shy there as well...I'll read the forum for other recommendations, but if you have anything that comes to mind for the dakota leather, let me know.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get an appt at the dealer to take care of my eyesore, assuming they have a guy who can recondition the spot to look better than I can trying to do it myself.
I have the same model horsehair brush - it is soft enough but it is meant to brush lightly with lots of cleaner - on CG product, dilution varies, but I did dilute the leather cleaner by 6:1 in favor of water.

It doesn't take experience to attempt to get dye back into the leather, just time - I viewed youtube videos, used the dye posted above, cleaned the area, dabbed the dye, waited 15 minutes for drying, then dabbed more dye onto the spot ... repeat. Think I repeated 4X and it did place dye into the areas that were lacking. Then I waited 48 hrs for curing, and will repeat later. But if you want to use dealer, hope it works.

It won't recover completely and you will always have to watch that area and repeat with dye as part of your maintenance routine. As a result, you might as well do it yourself... or you purchase a new door handle.

Last edited by Desmond79; 01-24-2017 at 02:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 07:40 PM   #34
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I just don't see how the CG product would cause that? Did you have grease in the brush or something? Or maybe picked up some dirt by accident? Also, do you put lotion on your arms? Seems like that's where you lean your arm against and maybe or possible chemical reaction caused that?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #35
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBOOSTU View Post
like im seeing smudge marks over the steering wheel , anyone else got any solutions'.
/ ?

it helps washing hands before driving just saying
      01-31-2017, 10:22 PM   #36
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
it helps washing hands before driving just saying
that's what i thought when i saw the smudge marks on the arm rest area on the door. like if he might have had something dirty or if he had lotion on his hands or something
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #37
gaganxs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Garage List
2012 BMW 520d  [0.00]
I use GardX protection for leather, and it's pretty good.
Appreciate 0