2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Slight highway vibration??

01-31-2014, 05:24 PM   #45
smudge973
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d Msport - no longer

Yep, new tyres and still awesome...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 02:20 AM   #46
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 335d g31 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge973 View Post
Yep, new tyres and still awesome...
Could you let me know the tyre balancing place you used please? I'm in Leeds and am experiencing the same issues as others.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #47
clerkpalmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi M-Sport

I picked up a used 550x last week and immediately noticed the slight Highway vibration and drone. Seems to happen around 70 mph and feedback is mostly in the steering wheel. I changed tires which helped but not eliminated. I had chalked it up to terrible western pa highways but may be it is something else. Cars has brand new tires and an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #48
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep

Mine is perfectly balanced and aligned on bmw's machine with good even wear on all tyres and the vibration noticeable from 65ish. Wife hasn't noticed so cant be too bad It Frustrates me though.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #49
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwol;*****774
Mine is perfectly balanced and aligned on bmw's machine with good even wear on all tyres and the vibration noticeable from 65ish. Wife hasn't noticed so cant be too bad It Frustrates me though.
Is this through the steering wheel or through the seats? Increasing above 65 mph is not normally simply wheels and/or balance.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #50
clerkpalmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete;*****967
Is this through the steering wheel or through the seats? Increasing above 65 mph is not normally simply wheels and/or balance.

HighlandPete
Mine is through the steering wheel more than the seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #51
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete;*****967

HighlandPete
Through the seats, I would say vibration is the wrong description. I get a feeling as if the wheels are flat spotted but obviously not to such an extreme. It's more a speed related pulsing than vibrating if that makes sense? The Steering wheels rock steady and car runs straight. I'm not about to sell the car just wish I could solve or tune out from it. Rear tyres currently Goodyear run flats due in a month so fingers crossed this help
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #52
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwol View Post
Through the seats, I would say vibration is the wrong description. I get a feeling as if the wheels are flat spotted but obviously not to such an extreme. It's more a speed related pulsing than vibrating if that makes sense? The Steering wheels rock steady and car runs straight. I'm not about to sell the car just wish I could solve or tune out from it. Rear tyres currently Goodyear run flats due in a month so fingers crossed this help
I'm wondering if it is a drivetrain frequency which gets into a rhythmic vibration.

There are frequency dampers on the rear sub frame and differential casings on some models. I think the 525d has both, worth checking if you have them fitted. If so, I'd be tempted to experiment with removing one or the other, to see if the vibration changes. BMW do list different HZ values across models, build dates, so there is scope for BMW to try options, if you have a supportive dealer.

You can put you VIN number in RealOEM and look at the rear axle assemblies, your exact spec' for vibration absorber frequency will be identified.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #53
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm wondering if it is a drivetrain frequency which gets into a rhythmic vibration.

There are frequency dampers on the rear sub frame and differential casings on some models. I think the 525d has both, worth checking if you have them fitted. If so, I'd be tempted to experiment with removing one or the other, to see if the vibration changes. BMW do list different HZ values across models, build dates, so there is scope for BMW to try options, if you have a supportive dealer.

You can put you VIN number in RealOEM and look at the rear axle assemblies, your exact spec' for vibration absorber frequency will be identified.

HighlandPete
Thanks Pete, think we have both been discussing this on another forum it's great advice and something I'll explore if the tyre and wheel situation is not a fix. However It still occurs if the gearbox is put in neutral whilst moving so would this disprove your theory? Thanks so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:16 AM   #54
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwol View Post
Thanks Pete, think we have both been discussing this on another forum it's great advice and something I'll explore if the tyre and wheel situation is not a fix. However It still occurs if the gearbox is put in neutral whilst moving so would this disprove your theory? Thanks so far.
Ah, I'm with you.

I tracked the other user who was going to experiment, he traded his F30 back in for another car before getting to change parts. His next car is fine.

Not sure if being in neutral would take it away if it is caused by a rotation induced vibration, could still be either diff or sub frame absorber which could cancel it out.

Does it change at all, if on or off the throttle?

I recall this sort of thing years ago, often it was the prop shaft balance that caused issues. Usually through a wide range of speed. A common solution was a couple of jubilee clips, mark a start point then experiment with rotating the two 'lumps' until you eliminated the vibration. Could take a few attempts to get it sorted.

I can't imagine BMW having individual component balance issues, more likely a stack issue on some examples, if it is a drive train vibration.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #55
masuzu
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i M-Sport and BMW X1

Garage List
Greetings people!
I have the same issues with a slightly vibration at the rear tire.Problem happened when I upgraded to 19" from 18".Currently using M Performance wheels 313 type wrapped with Dunlop Sport Maxx Gt.
      02-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #56
smudge973
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d Msport - no longer

Yep.... Perfect
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #57
ethrnz
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d

I am driving an F32 430d, having the same issue. Very annoying vibration felt in the whole car. Starting at around 120 kph. Had different rims, tyres on. Had balanced several times... I am about to have a deal with my dealer to trade in my F32 for an F10 530d. So I started trying F10s of my friends. The first one was a pre-LCI 530d had exactly the same vibration, the second one was an LCI 525d and, guess what, had exactly the same vibration. I'm damn confused now...
Do I have the right understanding that the only member here who had the problem resolved is smudge973 with the 5 bolt lug hole balancing?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #58
kaunas1030
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 530d f10 2011 carbonblack

bmw f10 vibration issue 2011 530d

hi i have that issue with vibration between 60 to 80mph

did anyone manage to found what it was causing it cause i real all forums in germany in russia uk and usa but did not found resolution for it.....
thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 08:22 PM   #59
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
My vibration problem was the run flats switched to non run flats and life is good. Pulling is a separate issue.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #60
akroblade954
Registered
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe

Vibrations

I have had terrible vibration problem with my F06 on 20 inch OEM wheels since buying it in April this year. Got so bad every now and then that I was convinced a wheel was coming loose so I stopped to check them.

I had the wheels balanced 4 times. I replaced all 4 tyres (Bridgestones). I replaced the front disks and pads (Zimmermann's). But the vibration still there.

The vibration wasn't constant. It came and went every 20 or 30 seconds, but never stayed the whole time. I researched and spoke to "pros" and they said if it comes and goes it would not be tyres. They said it would be bearings, bushes, ball joints, engine mounts, suspension components or prop shaft. But not wheels / tyres....

So, I learn't about road force balancing. Had that done today at The Tyre Shop in the UK (highly recommended ) and have driven 70 miles and not a single vibration. The car drives spot on. £95 well spent, even though it seemed a lot for wheel balancing. BMW want £90 for an hours diagnostics.......

Hope that helps others. Bite the bullet and give it ago before replacing components.

http://www.balancemycar.co.uk

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 03:22 PM   #61
elmajiko
Rep
Drives: 640d

has this issue solved with road force balance so far?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #62
BM-Larry
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 525D M-Sport

I have a BMW 2011 F11 525D M-Sport, I am experiencing vibration at between 60 and 70 mph.
I got my local garage to do a balance on all 4 wheels to start with, but that had no effect what so ever!
I then came across this thread and wanted to say a big thanks to akroblade954 for pointing me in the right direction and saving me a lot of time and money working out what was wrong!

Using http://www.balancemycar.co.uk I found 'Discount Tyres Luton', who did a professional job.
They have a Hunter Road Force Balancer and found that all 4 wheels were balanced, but had 'run out' (egg shape) and 'Force Variation' (sidewall stiffness) issues.
I have just bought the car and it had budget tyres fitted.
One of the wheels with was within limits, but the other three were too far out and need to be replaced.
One tyre was the worse tyre that the technician had ever seen, I think it was the 'Force Variation' that was 380lbs out! He span it up for me on the machine and you could easily see visually that it was way out! The technician said that it should be no more than 80lbs out normally.

To my mind this seems to be more of a problem with manufacturing defects in lower profile tyres, that are not being picked up by just balancing alone!
As you can balance an egg-shaped wheel no problem, but it's going to vibrate the crap out of the car, so I found out!
I think that the car in my case was doing quite a good job keeping it all together until 60mph quite frankly.

I have just ordered a set of 4 x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tyres to be fitted in the new year.
So hopefully this will fix the issue for me!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #63
Kracker DC5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi & a lil 4 cylinder

So, I noticed the same exact thing on my car on my way home from buying it! At 75 +/-5mph, the (passenger) head rest, steering wheel, etc...would vibrate like crazy.

Had the tires balanced and the tech said two rims were bent. Took them to get straightened and found that they were 0.090 and 0.110" run out (2.5-3mm) . Got those two fixed and its probably 70% better. I feel like the other two are bent as well. I paid $260 to have 2 straightened, balanced, and mounted. 2014 M-sport 550xi (19" rims).
      11-06-2020, 12:31 PM   #64
rinoralija96
Registered
Rep
Drives: f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL View Post
Does anyone else experience a slight highway vibration come from mostly the rear end from your 5-series? I've had the tires, rims, checked and they are perfectly balanced with a low road force.

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue? Again I am talking about a slight vibration. Everyone please chime in.
Hi guys, im new here, i have the same problem, i bought new wheels Vossen 19 inch with almost new tyres Dunlop, when i've mounted them on car they were awesome, but then i painted the brake callipers and had to remove all the wheels to paint them, after few days i noticed that on highway the car started to vibrate from 100-130 km/h, i checked the tired two times and balanced them again but it still vibrates!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #65
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinoralija96 View Post
Hi guys, im new here, i have the same problem, i bought new wheels Vossen 19 inch with almost new tyres Dunlop, when i've mounted them on car they were awesome, but then i painted the brake callipers and had to remove all the wheels to paint them, after few days i noticed that on highway the car started to vibrate from 100-130 km/h, i checked the tired two times and balanced them again but it still vibrates!
Did you have centering (hub-centric) rings? Did you reinstall them?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 06:05 AM   #66
DarenF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F10

70-80mph Vibration FIXED!

I know this is an old thread but...

I had exactly the same issue on my F10 520d MSport from when I bought it a year ago.

I changed tyres, all the brakes, suspected buckled wheel so I bought refurbed wheels but nothing solved it.

Then, last week, the lower coil snapped on the rear spring. I had them changed for BMW original parts at my local indi for £375 including the springs and the wobble has dissappeared.

The car drives sublime again. Rear has firmed up too.

The road force thing is junk, don't waste your money.

I've been searching for a solution to this issue for a year now and hundreds of people seem to be having this issue please spread this solution.

Last edited by DarenF; 06-18-2022 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: Grammer
Appreciate 0