2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Clicking from rear wheel

07-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #1
Dan_ok
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

Clicking from rear wheel

Hi,

I recently put new wheels on the car but all of a sudden I started to hear a clicking noise which I thought was coming from the front. Tried to diagnose it and found out it was actually coming from the rear. Another week of driving and the clicking is more frequent and louder. I had the wheels off and made sure they were right again and can't figure out what it might be.

I've had a Google of things to look for such as brake pads or possibly drivetrain? I have had the drivetrain error, possible to continue journey message a lot but only when driving hard. Plugged in and it seems to be the egr stuck wide open but could it be making the rear end click? Or suspension?

Anyone got any ideas on what I can look for or any experience with this problem?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Clicking can be CV axles wearing out. Jack up the car and see if the axles have any play in them or any play in the wheel. Record if possible.
      07-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
Dan_ok
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrNinja View Post
Clicking can be CV axles wearing out. Jack up the car and see if the axles have any play in them or any play in the wheel. Record if possible.
Thank you!

What do you mean record if possible?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrNinja View Post
Thank you!

What do you mean record if possible?
If you can record any movement or such. Wheel bearing failing will have a side to side or up and down movement when grabbing wheel and trying to move it.
      07-15-2019, 02:16 AM   #5
StreetCruiser
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 550i 2013 M Sport

Mine is clicking as well from the very beginning. The techs at BMW shops found nothing's wrong. It is quite a puzzle for me as well since it is only clicking when I put the summer wheels on. With the winter wheels it doesn't.

I took a look to the clearance of the four wheels and nothing seems to get rubbed or something like that. And there is no loose part as well.

The techs told me that they often indeed hear kinda ticking on either 550i and/or M550D (I am in Germany). Their theory is the floating stud in the 2-piece brake disc is moving here and there while rotating.
I took it for nonsense because the play must be very tiny.

Until now I have no satisfactory explanation... for sure it is one of the mystery in our F10 besides the fleeing oil.

Mind telling me what kind of wheels you have?
I suspect it might be my summer wheels that cause the ticking noise...

Last edited by StreetCruiser; 07-15-2019 at 02:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja430.50