2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Has anyone swapped F30 Msport to F10 Msport?

08-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
Sabo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i

Has anyone swapped F30 Msport to F10 Msport?

I just had a F10 520d Msport plus for a day as I'm seriously considering changing my car not because anything wrong with mine but I'm just a bit bored of it. It's not 330 performance but it have enough pulling power for the mixed driving I had but more importantly I really enjoyed the comfort of it and though it was was very refined. Very different driving experience. In my I feel like an angry bird who has to push it hard all the time in the 5 felt very relaxed a lot more chilled just enjoying the more luxurious environment. It was with the n47 2.0d if I order one would come with MY2015 2.0d with 400NM and 190Bhp and some other changes to the engine including sound do it'be an even better engine then the current one.
I was wondering if there's anyone made similar changes or had both models in the past and if so how did you find it, did you regret?
Originally I wanted a 4 GC but there's hardly any discounts available plus waiting time increasing heavily on them.
Any experience/opinion welcome!
Posted on F30 forum as well to get all the experiences and opinions.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Never owned the 3 series, but did have one for a few days, and getting back into the 5 series, I knew I would never go to the 3 series if that counts for anything....

The 5 is very relaxing and quick when you want it.
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

I came from an e91 to my F11.

I liked the 3 series for what it did (it was the 335d I had right enough). It was a very capable motor.

But the F11 just blows it away. FAR more comfortable, easily feels a class above, the interior is just lovely by comparison. Drives great, and is substantially bigger (which was the reason for the change).

Just make sure you pick all the right bits when speccing up the car. The MFD makes a HUGE difference IMO to the feel of the car. Pro Nav is a must. And if I were speccing the car again, I'd have ticked at least for adaptive lights, but more probably the LED's. The reversing camera is cool too, but I regret not plumping for the surround view too.

Also, assuming you go M-Sport, get the M-Sport+ pack too. Worth it all day long.

And when they are quoting you, get them to run numbers on the 530d as well as the 520d. With the extra spec, dealer contribution, and increased residuals, the difference wasn't "that" much for me.

A quick check on Broadspeed puts the discount on the 530d at £3k more than the 520d (F11's). Coupled with the extra ~ £1.5k residual difference, that goes a LONG way towards making up for the extra RRP. It was "only" an extra £40 per month for me to have the 530d. So worth having a look.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 02:05 AM   #4
Sabo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
I came from an e91 to my F11.

I liked the 3 series for what it did (it was the 335d I had right enough). It was a very capable motor.

But the F11 just blows it away. FAR more comfortable, easily feels a class above, the interior is just lovely by comparison. Drives great, and is substantially bigger (which was the reason for the change).

Just make sure you pick all the right bits when speccing up the car. The MFD makes a HUGE difference IMO to the feel of the car. Pro Nav is a must. And if I were speccing the car again, I'd have ticked at least for adaptive lights, but more probably the LED's. The reversing camera is cool too, but I regret not plumping for the surround view too.

Also, assuming you go M-Sport, get the M-Sport+ pack too. Worth it all day long.

And when they are quoting you, get them to run numbers on the 530d as well as the 520d. With the extra spec, dealer contribution, and increased residuals, the difference wasn't "that" much for me.

A quick check on Broadspeed puts the discount on the 530d at £3k more than the 520d (F11's). Coupled with the extra ~ £1.5k residual difference, that goes a LONG way towards making up for the extra RRP. It was "only" an extra £40 per month for me to have the 530d. So worth having a look.
The spec as it stands at the moment is 520d Msport plus, VDC, pro nav, MFD, folding mirrors, heated seats, reversing camera dropped the folding seats and the surround view to get the monthlies down a bit. My consern is that in my 330d I've got sport auto but in the 520d I can only have auto with paddles I'm not quite sure what difference it makes?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 02:55 AM   #5
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saby View Post
The spec as it stands at the moment is 520d Msport plus, VDC, pro nav, MFD, folding mirrors, heated seats, reversing camera dropped the folding seats and the surround view to get the monthlies down a bit. My consern is that in my 330d I've got sport auto but in the 520d I can only have auto with paddles I'm not quite sure what difference it makes?
I doubt you are going to use the paddles in the 520D.

I have a 330D and then also bought a 520D. The 520 was never as powerful (but that is expected, bigger car - smaller engine) and ended up changing the 520D to a 535D within a year.

The 520D is a great car; well the F10 is a great car. But if you are looking for anything close to the performance of the 330, you are not going to get it in a 520D. Look at the 530 or 535 then.

However, the 520D is a very capable motor, probably the best in class. If you always drive the 520D is Sport mode, the performance is very much up there (probably good enough to compensate for the 330D).
In other areas, the 5 beats the 3 series hands down. Interiors, luxury, ride quality, space, etc... the 5 series is one of the best cars around.

Drive the 520D is Sport mode and then drive the 530D back to back - and see for yourself if the lesser grunt of the 520D is good enough to win you over.

My personal opinion is that the F10 is a big heavy car, and is better mated with a > 2l engine. This is not to say that the 2.0L is bad; if anything it is probably the best engine/car combination in its class.
      08-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #6
SpeedTrip
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i LCI-2 Alpine

Garage List
Try a 525D - they are now the 4-cyl 2000 engine zapped up by ECU tweaks/Turbo, so cheaper than a 530/535d & less RFL cost too but a few more ponies than the 520d

320i *2, 323i, 520i *2, 540i, 535i, 840i, E36 M5, 328i, 530i, 320d, 535d, M135i, M140i * 2
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #7
dicky.hillary
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520D SE

Gent.. i have a quick question... I have an F31 M-Sport and I'm looking at changing to an F10. I suffer from a very sore back, after having back surgery after I bought the car.

Can anyone comment on the difference in the ride of an F10 M-Sport vs F31 M-Sport?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
evan15281
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky.hillary View Post
Gent.. i have a quick question... I have an F31 M-Sport and I'm looking at changing to an F10. I suffer from a very sore back, after having back surgery after I bought the car.

Can anyone comment on the difference in the ride of an F10 M-Sport vs F31 M-Sport?
and the seat comfort too please?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #9
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:

Choose VDC (or Adaptive Drive) option and go sensible with alloy size (18 should be perfect). Put car in Comfort+ mode; and all bumps, potholes, ridges in the road, etc.. seem to disappear.

Also, choose Comfort Seats; these are 20-way adjustable and you can adjust it to what suits your back.

<Both options not cheap, but well worth the money spent>

Lot of people seem to disregard the VDC (or the more expensive Adaptive Drive), but read about it (from people who have it) and it is one option that transforms the car's suspension dramatically.
      08-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #10
BMWmyARSE
Bombardier
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11, 520d, Space Grey

I had an F31 330D fully loaded and it was fantastic, you could drive like a pensioner and get amazing mpg or drive like a wally and make Porche drivers sweat off the lights.

The big big downside for me was the seating, tried every conceivable position not once comfortable for more than 20 minutes. Like you have bad back, had discs removed many years ago. After weeks of Neurophen I decided it had to go

Changed car to a F11 520d Msport, chalk and cheese, the seats are bigger so my fat arse fits better, done several runs to devon, not a back pain in sight.

I do miss the performance, tried the 530D just not the same as the 330D, couldn't afford a 535D (it will be the next car)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #11
BMWmyARSE
Bombardier
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11, 520d, Space Grey

Quote:

Had 330d Msport until three weeks ago, now have 520D Msport both on 19 inch wheels. Coming from a Discovery with air suspension I'm now very conscious of the crappy condition of our roads. When you happen on a new stretch or road surface ride is fine, however as 80% of our roads are lumpy both suffer. I would say the 5 is slightly better than the 3, but you do feel every little road imperfection.

Had a loaner 520D Msport without sport suspension and on 18 inch wheels, much better ride
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWmyARSE View Post
.... When you happen on a new stretch or road surface ride is fine, however as 80% of our roads are lumpy both suffer. I would say the 5 is slightly better than the 3, but you do feel every little road imperfection.

Had a loaner 520D Msport without sport suspension and on 18 inch wheels, much better ride
This is where the active suspensions come in. I run Adaptive Drive and 18" wheels (RFTs). Much better ride quality than standard suspension and 18" wheels, even in the mid setting. In fact better than my brother in laws Jaguar XJ on 19" wheels (normal tyres) and active suspension.

For me, any BMW suspension/wheel setup needs to pass the cat's eye test. Thump over them without feeling the suspension or tyres are amplifying the sensation, my setup passes that test.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0