2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Hum at 60mph - 520d Auto

05-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #1
bd250
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport+, Sophistico

Hum at 60mph - 520d Auto

Hi,

I've covered 6k since April 1st in my 520d M-Sport and I've noticed that at exactly 60mph the car hums - it sounds like a fuel pump or at least some kind of pump. It is only audible at exactly 60mph - just the speed the gantrys on the M62 seem to love. Has anyone had this issue, or do I need a trip to the dealers?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Sounds like it's time for a trip to the dealers. I haven't experienced a noise like that in the car, however I've only done about 2k miles over the same timerframe.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
bd250
Private
Rep

Thanks for that, back to the stealers it goes then...
It has been there since day one, guess something is not quite right. The lack of replies suggests it is not something others are suffering from. No what the dealers would call a 'characteristic' of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd250 View Post
Thanks for that, back to the stealers it goes then...
It has been there since day one, guess something is not quite right. The lack of replies suggests it is not something others are suffering from. No what the dealers would call a 'characteristic' of the car.
Definitely not a "characteristic" don't stand for that if that's what they say
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Phoenix Yellow Z4C

If it's at about 1700 rpm, then it's the same as mine, which occurs only from time to time, and my understanding is that it's the DPF doing a purge.

Anyways, get it checked out and let us know what the dealer sez.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:44 AM   #6
bd250
Private
Rep

The car needs a new rear differential, apparently. Part ordered and will be fitted tomorrow. Seems a pretty major part of the transmission to require replacement, but as the car has done it from new I suspect it was a bad unit from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep

Great outcome! Really quick resolution too.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 04:15 AM   #8
bd250
Private
Rep

Nit as quick as you might imagine. The new diff required different "bolts" or the wrong bolts were ordered/supplied. When they finally installed the diff, it hadn't solved the problem, the next solution is on back-order, so I could come and get mine in the meantime. Bearing in mind the 118d Sport manual wasn't exactly the nicest loan car I've had (that honour goes to the 530d GT M Sport with pano roof) I was happy to take the car back.
When I came to collect the car I was a bit late so sales had the keys. All was good until I opened the door to find gear oil smeared across the door panel, seat and centre console, worse still it was engrained into the oyster stitching. The red mist descended! I left the car, got back in the 118 and told them to call me when it was showroom perfect, which apparently it was by Monday afternoon, a manager was satisfied, apparently. On Wednesday I went to find it certainly wasn't showroom perfect (this particular dealer couldn't prepare a salad, so I wasn't shocked), they did manage to clean the stitching, but required supervision.
As a gesture they put £20 in the tank. How generous.

So nothing has changed really, the hum is a bit better, the car is now as clean as it was when it went in, save for the additional coating of back to black on the tyres, which is apparently what constitutes a valet!

On one had continued slip-ups by the dealer are frustrating, they seem more bothered about getting their loaners back than fixing my vehicle and major engine/transmission problems seem to be a recurring theme with my MINIs (2.0 SD) and BMWs. On the other hand I'm very tempted by a 525d....maybe third time lucky?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 05:42 AM   #9
Deano_uk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 5 Series Touring

Out of interest which dealer do you use, had a few experiences with West Yorks dealers myself....
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #10
bd250
Private
Rep

It's Bradford.
Things have improved dramatically, there is a new team who are, on the whole, polite and they are much better at keeping you up to date with progress.
In my experience York are probably the best in the area, Leeds are variable. I haven't used Huddersifeld or Wakefield.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
SpeedTrip
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i LCI-2 Alpine

Garage List
Quote:
to find gear oil smeared across the door panel, seat and centre console, worse still it was engrained into the oyster stitching.
Just the doing of that is a case for severe reprimand .... leaving it for the customer to discover is a firing offence !

When you think of the number of CustSat surveys they run about their products & services - and then do this !

If I were you I'd 'bring it to the attention' of BMW in Bracknell .... I'm sure they will impress upon their Dealer how dissatisfied you are, and maybe even make better redress ...

320i *2, 323i, 520i *2, 540i, 535i, 840i, E36 M5, 328i, 530i, 320d, 535d, M135i, M140i * 2
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry to hear of your troubles bd. Seems like there's a fair few problems with this years 520d's from steering vibrations to drivetrain faults (which I'm also experiencing at the moment)

As speedtrip mentioned, let customer service know of your problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #13
Deano_uk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 5 Series Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd250 View Post
It's Bradford.
Things have improved dramatically, there is a new team who are, on the whole, polite and they are much better at keeping you up to date with progress.
In my experience York are probably the best in the area, Leeds are variable. I haven't used Huddersifeld or Wakefield.
Ive been on the wonky end of Bradford service a couple of times luckily I live near sheffield but work in Leeds and sheffield are superb in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #14
bd250
Private
Rep

Well the car went in again today for a rear prop shaft bearing to be replaced. Courtesy car was a smelly 116d with wing damage, noting else available apparently. Oh well, it's only for the day.
They rang at lunch, the part was fitted and the problem solved. Road tested by the workshop controller and the Noise is gone. On collection, more oil in the cabin, this time on the seats and steering wheel.

On the test drive the hum is better, but I was not convinced the noise was gone. The technician with me couldn't hear anything. I agreed to go home and see how things develop. On the M62 the hum is still reproducible at 60, so back it went to Bradford. Out with the controller and one of his team. The hum was still there. It's been agreed to raise the issue to "technical" next week, apparently there is nothing else to replace.

At this stage the attitude of the dealership is beggining to to get on my nerves. On one had the noise is much improved, but I don't think it should be there at all. I've made it clear that noting short of no hum at all is acceptable and that if that can't be achieved with one more visit then I will reject the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 04:46 AM   #15
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Sorry to hear, I have to say, I would be kicking off to merry hell if my oyster had oil on it, the dealer principal would know and they would be keeping it until it was immaculate, whilst I took his car home. Nothing less. That does'nt even cover the technical problems I know, that would be solved after the above was dealt with!!!

Generally I am not one to complain, but after buying a 40k plus car, that I am afraid would not be acceptable.
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #16
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
Sorry to hear, I have to say, I would be kicking off to merry hell if my oyster had oil on it, the dealer principal would know and they would be keeping it until it was immaculate, whilst I took his car home. Nothing less. That does'nt even cover the technical problems I know, that would be solved after the above was dealt with!!!

Generally I am not one to complain, but after buying a 40k plus car, that I am afraid would not be acceptable.
With you on this Piers, I got my car back last week after it had been in due to the lumber support 'up and down bit' not doing the right thing and the inside of the car had oil on various sections of the Oyster. I took photos and was blowing fire at the dealer, threatening to stop ALL of our company BMW cars (100+) from going through them. Suffice to say that it's all sorted now.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 06:52 AM   #17
bd250
Private
Rep

Balster, did you get any goodwill gesture from them. Or did they just clean what they shouldn't have put there in the first place?

The hum is still there, and getting refer audible once again. Since it's been back the auto seems a bit dim, not as smooth as it was. BMW tech are coming to have a butchers on Monday at the dealers. I'm hoping they can help pin-point where the issue is coming from.
Appreciate 0