2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Comfort Access Malfunction

08-12-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Comfort Access Malfunction

Anyone had the issue where Comfort Access (when in range), will unlock WITHOUT any door handle contact, on one side of the vehicle?

Will not lock from handle contact on that same side of the car, (simply unlocks again), will lock and unlock as normal from the other side of the vehicle.

I'm trying to gauge whether it is "cause or effect", as there was a battery discharge warning when finding this self 'unlocking' malfunction. I've replaced the battery in the remote as a precaution, also tried the second remote fob. Both get the same result.

All door actuators work fine, car will 'autolock' on driving off as normal.

I suspect a transmitter in one of the doors on the faulty side. Triggering an "unlock" command as soon as the fob is in range, likely causing a slow drain on the battery.

Car has an extended warranty, so no big deal, but curious as to other users possibly having this issue, before phoning the dealer.

BTW, have put the battery on charge and run the car some distance, but still have the same unlocking fault.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

As you know, the door open sensor is on the door handle, the side that is facing the door. I believe it is an capacitance sensor, have you try cleaning the inside of the door handle?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
As you know, the door open sensor is on the door handle, the side that is facing the door. I believe it is an capacitance sensor, have you try cleaning the inside of the door handle?
Thanks for the response.

I've identified which door has the issue, it is the rear door on the driver's side, won't lock from the handle. Have checked for cleanliness and don't see an issue. Found on one occasion (after fiddling with the handle and door catch) the system locked correctly from the faulty door. But once the car went to sleep it defaulted back to the fault, when the fob was put in range it once again unlocked itself without contact.

I had a "battery discharging when stationary" warning this morning, so there is a drain due to some malfunction of the Comfort Access electronics in one door/handle.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
///Msport
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M-Sport

I am having the same issues. Two of my door handles are short circuiting according to BMW causing a battery error (Increased battery discharge). I have to take it back on Monday. They will most likely replace the door handles. I will let you know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Msport View Post
I am having the same issues. Two of my door handles are short circuiting according to BMW causing a battery error (Increased battery discharge). I have to take it back on Monday. They will most likely replace the door handles. I will let you know what happens.
Garage have identified a faulty door handle on the driver's side rear door. I guess it was 'short circuiting' (certainly active when the fob came in range) and the battery continued to drain.

Over here in the UK, handles are on back order from Germany (colour painted from factory), up to four weeks apparently. So the garage disabled the comfort access and I agreed to have the car back until the part comes through the system. I'm therefore using standard central locking until the new handle arrives and can be fitted.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Garage have identified a faulty door handle on the driver's side rear door. I guess it was 'short circuiting' (certainly active when the fob came in range) and the battery continued to drain.

Over here in the UK, handles are on back order from Germany (colour painted from factory), up to four weeks apparently. So the garage disabled the comfort access and I agreed to have the car back until the part comes through the system. I'm therefore using standard central locking until the new handle arrives and can be fitted.

HighlandPete
I have had 2 handles act up. I swapped my passenger side front to back. (same handles.) I did some measurements and found there is slight shorts in the unit. there are 4 wires i'm guessing 2 for each sensor. The unlock (behind the handle) and the lock sensor ( on top by the ribs). I have a deflective handle on my bench which i tried to dissect for an easy fix but BMW epoxy'd in the sensors so no luck ! RRRRR! BTW my car is out of warranty thats why i'm trying to fix it.
Appreciate 0