2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F11 boot (trunk) cover not automatically retracting

06-13-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
Rookie66
Rep
Drives: 520d M-Sport Touring

F11 boot (trunk) cover not automatically retracting

Hello all,

Used my touring over weekend for some serious trips to refuse tip (!).

I've now refitted the boot/trunk cover mechanism at back of rear seats & I cannot get the cover to retract to the closed position when I close the tailgate.

It normally (automatically) closes when tailgate ia shut & opens up when I open tailgate.

It's now permanently flipped up - blocking my rear-view!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

forgive me if I am asking the obvious, it's hard to tell from your description what exactly you did.....so here goes. Let me see if I understand correctly:

You unhooked the spring loaded retractable boot cover, which retreated into the cartridge.
You removed the cartridge whilst you did your tip run
You refitted the cartridge
You pulled the boot cover back out and slotted it into the hooks that raise it up and down if the boot is open or closed

Is that right?

Are you absolutely sure that you placed the boot covers prongs behind (from the perspective of where you were standing at the boot) the hooks and didn't mistakenly put them in front?

What should happen is that as soon as they sense the pressure being applied on them and that the boot is open then they retreat up the boot door, raising the cover as they go.

Perhaps you can post a pic of where the prongs and hooks are aligned with the boot open.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

+1

difficult to see what you've done wrong without pics. i've removed the retractable cover unit plenty of times and it always works fine when re attached.

make sure its correctly seated and has clicked into position correctly, so remove once more and refit. i usually then just extend the cover and hook it onto the runners as normal and it works fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 06:39 AM   #4
Rookie66
Rep
Drives: 520d M-Sport Touring

Cheers guys!

Just been out to check & like an idiot (in the 10 minutes I had last night of dry weather!) I'd put the prongs in front of the hooks.

All fine now......& saved me an embarassing visit to the dealer :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
techno
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring

Every now and again my cover retracts half way when opening the rear glass door but doesn't come back down again when closing it.

I can't work out any reason for this, but nothing I do will put the cover back in the right position.

It normally corrects itself after driving off and then locking/unlocking/opening/closing etc etc but it's frustrating when it happens!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
eripers
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 523i

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post
Every now and again my cover retracts half way when opening the rear glass door but doesn't come back down again when closing it.

I can't work out any reason for this, but nothing I do will put the cover back in the right position.

It normally corrects itself after driving off and then locking/unlocking/opening/closing etc etc but it's frustrating when it happens!
Mine kept stopping on the way down, I had to open and close the glass door one more time and it went all the way down I got it replaced on warranty.

Now it only stops if it touches the luggage as I guess it's supposed to.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 06:01 AM   #7
TJG
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d Touring F11

Extremely useful post - did exactly the same - Thanks to your detailed reply am now all fixed ..Thanks again
Appreciate 0